• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking about trying my hand at checkering. I have done some research and I was looking at getting a starter set from midway or brownells. If anyone has any experience good or bad that they would like to share I would appreciate any input.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I bought a kit from Midway a couple winters ago. Like a Miles Gilbert checkering starter kit. I was really disappointed in the quality and what was included. The checkering tools were really crappy and it also had a couple of what looked like walnut coasters to practice on. Not worth the money in my opinion.

I bought a set of checkering tools from Brownell's like 5 of them for about the same money as the Midway kit and they were much better quality and cut nicer. You can get walnut from home depot or other wood working stores.

Maybe you will have a different experience that I did with it. I just think you would be better off starting off with a nicer, but more $$ set of tools and getting the other stuff locally. You can learn a lot from youtube videos too. I'm no expert and I can't checker well just my experience and opinion. Not trying to bash Midway either....I buy 90% of my shooting stuff from there. Just didn't like their kit. If you look at their youtube channel or the links on their website Larry Potterfield (Midways Owner) has a lot of great instructional checkering videos.

Good luck!

Top Bottom