• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Sorry to be a pest with the questions, but this is the only place I can ask/discuss these things. That said here goes.

Woman I know found out about me applying for my LTCH and now she is interested. She has been asking me what to do, rules, etc. The problem with the situation is that her husband is a convicted felon and her daughter is a gang banger with a record longer than I am tall. The daughter owns several handguns that just tend to “appear” at the house. I also know the daughter carries illegally. How does this affect the woman wanting the LTCH?

Side note, I try to never associate with her family or go to her home. She and I carpool to work.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If the husband is a convicted felon, it's extremely likely that they can't even have guns in the house. Kinda makes getting an LTCH worthless, IMHO.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mistake #1: Letting a woman you know with a convicted felon husband and a gang-banging illegal carrying daughter know you have firearms or are planning on carrying firearms.

I don't believe Felons are allowed to live in a residence with firearms. Someone can probably cite the laws on that.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    If the husband is a convicted felon, it's extremely likely that they can't even have guns in the house. Kinda makes getting an LTCH worthless, IMHO.

That was what I thought, but when you buy a gun they ask about "you" not the household. So technically she could buy one, he can't - right?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That was what I thought, but when you buy a gun they ask about "you" not the household. So technically she could buy one, he can't - right?

Well, yes, she could buy one, but she also cannot provide a gun to a known felon. By bringing it home, she's compromising her husband, and if she ever puts it somewhere that's not under her sole and direct control (such as a safe that only she has the key to), putting herself at risk as well.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Mistake #1: Letting a woman you know with a convicted felon husband and a gang-banging illegal carrying daughter know you have firearms or are planning on carrying firearms.

She snooped as to why I needed last Wednesday off. I told the boss the truth and didn't know she was behind me. Like I said, except back and forth to work, I try to avoid her.

I don't believe Felons are allowed to live in a residence with firearms. Someone can probably cite the laws on that.

This is what I was trying to get at with her. She stuck on the fact that it's felony DUI and it has nothing to do with her. But a felon is a felon.

Correct. Assuming she is a proper
    person

As far as I know, she's fine. Family is another matter.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    If she gets through the licensing process and the state approves her application,
    then she has the right to carry same as anyone else
    regardless of who she lives with.
    She should be very careful though and make sure she is clear with the laws.

If her right to carry is mishandled, then it is the job of the police to deal with it.

Perhaps she needs protection from her daughter's gang friends.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah I believe all the points here are valid ones and that sounds to me like a bad situation for sure, I would try not to get mixed up in that mess as much as possible. I believe she would be eligible to obtain an LTCH but I also believe she would place herself in potential jeopardy with the law in the current environment that shes in. Maybe explain some of the points made here to her and let her decide. BTW.. You're not being a pest. That's what this forum is here for. :yesway:

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Just because shes asking you for information doesnt mean you have to provide it... That will further your relationship with a co-worker with serious baggage... If you give her information and someday soon her husband, daughter or her are arrested on a gun charge in there home who do you think she will blame... Sometimes its best to say....IDK you might have to look it up

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't believe a felon cannot live in a home where a firearm is present. I think they simply cannot have access to it. For instance if the wife had a gun safe in the garage and she was the only person with the key/combo, and they husband had not way of getting to the weapons, that would be ok.
    That's how I handled such situations, as a probation officer.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I agree. I would stay out of her business as you wish for her to stay out of yours. Point her in the direction of Ingo and then run the other way.

I don't believe a felon cannot live in a home where a firearm is present. I think they simply cannot have access to it. For instance if the wife had a gun safe in the garage and she was the only person with the key/combo, and they husband had not way of getting to the weapons, that would be ok.
    That's how I handled such situations, as a probation officer.

Good to know. I would LOVE to just not discuss this with her, but as I said we carpool 3 days a week to Skokie. That's 2 hrs a day in the car. I'm not getting out of giving her some info.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Kitty, search for similar questions posed by Rachel Marie over in the ladies' forum. I think she was in the same boat and got her LTCH.

AFAIK she can put the gun in a "safe" and retain the combination (don't tell the husband the combination).

Top Bottom