• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It's not limited to the terminally ill though. It is also for “constant and unbearable physical or mental suffering that cannot be alleviated”.

Also found this interesting from Canada

Belgian Children Being Euthanized, Canada Also Embraces Culture of Legally Assisted Suicide | CBN News

Ontario recently passed a law requiring all doctors to kill a legally qualified patient even though the judge acknowledged it violated the religious and conscience rights of doctors who did not want to perform legally assisted suicides.
    In the context being discussed? The line is pretty thin, IMO. This isn't "suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem". This is checking out on your own terms while terminally ill.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is there an official Islamic stance on euthanasia in such cases?

There's the same general prohibition on suicide that Christianity has. I don't know if the Jewish faith believes the same, but had just assumed it was common to all Abrahamic religion.

"Mercy killing" is similarly prohibited. Removal of medical care is not prohibited (ie, removal of life support or taking chemo treatments that would add only days to the life span but make them miserable). Even if medical care is withdrawn at the person's request, they are still supposed to have food and water. Mercy killing would be considered murder, as the person was not a criminal condemned by the law, not an enemy combatant, etc. where the taking of human life is allowed.

I'm not sure exactly which euthanasia/assisted suicide would fall under. If I rig up the machine but they push the button, I don't know if I murdered them or they committed suicide, although I lean toward the latter. Either way, it would be considered sinful.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    There's the same general prohibition on suicide that Christianity has. I don't know if the Jewish faith believes the same, but had just assumed it was common to all Abrahamic religion.

"Mercy killing" is similarly prohibited. Removal of medical care is not prohibited (ie, removal of life support or taking chemo treatments that would add only days to the life span but make them miserable). Even if medical care is withdrawn at the person's request, they are still supposed to have food and water. Mercy killing would be considered murder, as the person was not a criminal condemned by the law, not an enemy combatant, etc. where the taking of human life is allowed.

I'm not sure exactly which euthanasia/assisted suicide would fall under. If I rig up the machine but they push the button, I don't know if I murdered them or they committed suicide, although I lean toward the latter. Either way, it would be considered sinful.
    Thanks much. You must spread blah blah...

Top Bottom