• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is a good example of a country without the protections that we honor in the 1st Amendment of our Constitution.

Belgium set to become first European country to ban the burka

Belgium is on the verge of becoming the first European nation to ban the burka.

A parliamentary committee agreed yesterday to outlaw the wearing of face-covering veils in public. The full Parliament will vote later this month.

Under the proposals, women could face a week in prison or a fine for wearing a veil in public.

There are an estimated 650,000 Muslims in Belgium – 6 per cent of the population.

The text of the new law does not specifically mention burkas but makes it illegal for anyone to wear clothing ‘that covers all or most of the face’ in any public place.

Left-wing MP Denis Ducarme left no doubt the rules were targeting-Muslim extremists.

He said after the vote by the home affairs committee: ‘This sends a very strong signal to radical Islamists.’

The French- speaking liberals who have proposed the law argue that an inability to identify people presents a security risk and that the veil is a ‘walking prison’ for women.

Daniel Bacquelaine, the bill’s chief promoter, said the ban might also be used against potentially violent demonstrators who covered their faces.

He estimated that only a few hundred women in Belgium wore facial veils, but said it was a rising trend.

The MP said Belgium did not wish to follow the ‘bad examples’ of Britain and the Netherlands, where he said many Muslims lived in separate communities. The proposal is expected to become law as early as June as it has the support of all five parties in the coalition government. But opponents may appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

There have been debates over banning the burka in France, Switzerland and Italy.

This week France’s highest administrative body said a full burka ban, which is supported by all political parties, could violate the French constitution and European law.

Brussels has been linked to Islamic extremist terror operations a number of times since September 11. In 2003, 18 men were convicted of involvement in a terror cell with links to Al Qaeda.

article-1262545-023C9059000005DC-915_233x417.jpg

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    This is a good example of a country without the protections that we honor in the 1st Amendment of our Constitution.

article-1262545-023C9059000005DC-915_233x417.jpg

But, this only affects Muslims so it must be OK! INGO is being overran by leftists!

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I do not really know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Need to think some more about it. I do know that I do feel uncomfortable when around moslem women who are completely covered from head to toe. In today's climate, who knows what they might be hiding underneath their garments. With the vast majority, it is likely nothing. However, it only takes one with explosives and nails stapped to her to end the lives of a lot of innocent people. They have brought it all upon themselves by the actions of a few and the inactions of the many. It might be an infringement of their civil rights, but that is just too bad when it comes to the security of innocent citizens. If we give in to all of their demands, Christianity might as well fold up its tents and go home as the majority will be completely dominated by the minority who demand to have all of their requirments recognized and honored. There is no compromise with islam.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It might be an infringement of their civil rights, but that is just too bad when it comes to the security of innocent citizens.

Destroying civil rights is the goal of terrorism. So evil has prevailed.

If we gave up all of our freedoms and allowed police checkpoints at every stoplight, naked body scanners to ride trains, and rectal cavity searches to ride airplanes... the terrorists would have won... It would be the 'free' citizens that are the losers.

Burqa bans will stop no more murders than assault weapon bans. Its an arbitrary article of clothing. This is the wrong approach.

Don't sacrifice liberty for anything, including security.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I do not really know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Need to think some more about it. I do know that I do feel uncomfortable when around moslem women who are completely covered from head to toe. In today's climate, who knows what they might be hiding underneath their garments. With the vast majority, it is likely nothing. However, it only takes one with explosives and nails stapped to her to end the lives of a lot of innocent people. They have brought it all upon themselves by the actions of a few and the inactions of the many. It might be an infringement of their civil rights, but that is just too bad when it comes to the security of innocent citizens. If we give in to all of their demands, Christianity might as well fold up its tents and go home as the majority will be completely dominated by the minority who demand to have all of their requirments recognized and honored. There is no compromise with islam.
    What you wrote here could be used against you for anything I don't like abut you. You (We? I?) don't have a right to feel safe, we have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    How in the french fries did Belgium allow 6% of its population to become Muslim? Listen, I'm a huge fan of staying out of Muslim's business, but that requires that they stay out of others' business.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business

Burqa bans will stop no more murders than assault weapon bans. Its an arbitrary article of clothing. This is the wrong approach.

The point isn't to stop murders. It's to break the strength of that religion and to show the supremacy of government and equality over that religion. That religion is being taught a lesson in whose in charge.

See what happens here to a husband who forces his cheating wife to walk around town wearing sandwich boards saying "slut." Try enforcing any of those Old Testament punishments on anyone. Religions are often based in irrationality, are frequently scary and dangerous, and need to be brought to heel.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    It's any country in Europe's last chance to keep the muslims from taking over. The muslim population is multiplying exponentially over there

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Personally I think we should encourage the continued subjugation of women. Nothing wrong with forcing them into Burkas and not allowing them to drive or talk to non related men. I just read the other day, a top cleric was explaining why it is required, as a good Muslim, to beat your wife on occasion. But do it with love. Yeah, those Europeans just need to get over it.

Top Bottom