• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Alright fellas, I like knives a lot, but I've never had the money to indulge. I've made do with Victorinoxes, SOG autoclips, Leatherman, an older Gerber (before they were crap), and mu trusty 30 year old Buck 119 in addition to a cheap Mora I really like.

Looking for a great EDC blade and I find few blades that would suit me as well as a Benchmade 940. Now that they have the S30v and S90v blades, they are particularly desireable, imo.

However...

I don't know enough about the great blades of this kind being made by all the other guys. I'd really love to find something of similar design and quality at a price no higher than what a 940 goes for.

A great knife, sure it is. But is it really the be-all for this kind of blade? I find that hard to believe. There's got to be something as good or better at the price, or perhaps cheaper for the same quality, right?

Or not?

H

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I've had the same 710 m2hs steel benchmade for about 15 years.

I've beat the hell out of this knife, and it's never hiccuped once. And that includes the year it spent on the bottom of my lake.

I dropped my new glasses in the lake working on a boat motor, and while dredging for them with a magnet, I found my knife that I had lost the year prior. Sent it into benchmade, and they got it cleaned up and working, FOR FREE!.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've had the same 710 m2hs steel benchmade for about 15 years.

I've beat the hell out of this knife, and it's never hiccuped once. And that includes the year it spent on the bottom of my lake.

I dropped my new glasses in the lake working on a boat motor, and while dredging for them with a magnet, I found my knife that I had lost the year prior. Sent it into benchmade, and they got it cleaned up and working, FOR FREE!.

Thanks for posting. The 710 is a little bigger than I'm looking for...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Now are you looking at the original 940 with the green aluminum scales and S30V blade or the new 940-1 with the carbon fiber handles and S90v blade, I am asking because there is a pretty decent price difference between the 940 and 940-1.

Also apparently there is a new 940-2 coming out with G10 handles and a S30V blade at the same price as the original 940. Arent benchmades names fun lol?

940 / 940-2 generally around the $180 price point
    Good Alternatives - Zero Tolerance 0450CF Flipper Knife Carbon Fiber (3.25" Black) ZT - Blade HQ
    Zero Tolerance 0450 Flipper Titanium Knife (3.25" SW/Satin) ZT - Blade HQ
    Spyderco Mantra Flipper Knife Titanium (3.16" Satin CPM-M4) C202TIP - Blade HQ
    Spyderco Sage 2 Titanium Folding Knife (Plain) C123TIP - Blade HQ
    Spyderco Techno Knife Titanium Folder (2.55" Stonewash) C158TIP - Blade HQ

940-1 - $270 or so price point wise so you are getting some more cool options

Spyderco Slysz Bowie Frame Lock Knife Titanium (3.375" Stonewash) C186TIP - Blade HQ
    Spyderco Southard Positron Liner Lock Knife Carbon Fiber (3" Satin) C195CFP - Blade HQ
    Zero Tolerance 0808 Flipper Knife Titanium (3.25" Satin) ZT - Blade HQ
    Spyderco Southard Frame Lock Knife (3.46" Satin) C156GPBN - Blade HQ
    Zero Tolerance 0804CF Flipper Knife Carbon Fiber (3.875" Black) ZT - Blade HQ (My personal favorite at the price this is a screaming deal for materials offered )

I tried to stay in the small and lightweight category for you as well, at the $200 or so price point you get allot of really good options and you cannot go wrong with a single of the above options.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The 940 is a terrific knife, I would pull the trigger on one and stop looking for an alternative. Get with Brad, and see what kind of deal he could get you one for.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I like the 940 knives... But they're too "thin" for my hands.

I know they're not a "hard use" knife (and can probably hold up to more abuse than they LOOK like they can) but the circumference just makes it difficult to feel like I've got a nice good grip.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Alright fellas, I like knives a lot, but I've never had the money to indulge. I've made do with Victorinoxes, SOG autoclips, Leatherman, an older Gerber (before they were crap), and mu trusty 30 year old Buck 119 in addition to a cheap Mora I really like.

Looking for a great EDC blade and I find few blades that would suit me as well as a Benchmade 940. Now that they have the S30v and S90v blades, they are particularly desireable, imo.

However...

I don't know enough about the great blades of this kind being made by all the other guys. I'd really love to find something of similar design and quality at a price no higher than what a 940 goes for.

A great knife, sure it is. But is it really the be-all for this kind of blade? I find that hard to believe. There's got to be something as good or better at the price, or perhaps cheaper for the same quality, right?

Or not?

H

I have a 940-1 that's been an EDC for quite a while. It's a great knife. It cuts what I need it to cut, the action is excellent and I love the way it looks. Keep in mind that I do have smaller-ish girly hands. If you have to save longer, just do it. Dean Crail also gave some great suggestions for other buys. Let us know what you're going to do!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think I'll hold out for the 940-1, as I have smallish hands and I have bigger knives for tougher work. And I REALLY like S90V..

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I have a 940-1 (purchased as celebration of paying off all my credit card debt) and really like it for EDC activities. I have had it over a year now and have yet to have Dean sharpen it because it holds its edge so well. If your doing a lot of heavier use activities or while hands are greasy/wet is that there is not a lot of texture to prevent it from sliding around. Found this out when opening a oil filter package with oily hands.

Hit up Brad at Revolver Tactical and you will likely get you the best price out there.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I bought my 940-1 last september and its been my edc ever since. Its so light that you don't notice the weight, I can carry it in basketball shorts. The S90v holds an edge really well. I have no complaints about the knife. I have a few other harder use folders in the $200 range and they are simply too heavy. The closest competition mine gets for carry is my pohl force bravo 2 and I only carry it when I think I could otherwise lose my 940-1. If I want harder use Ive got an emerson cqc, a benchmade adamas, a zt 300 and a benchmad contego. My 940-1 would be the last knife I sold.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I just ordered a couple Ganzo g710's. For $14 is a knife I won't be afraid to abuse and lose.

G10 scales, axis-type lock, and 440C stainless. Not nearly as nice as the crucible steels for sure, but whatever. It's $14.

My EDC is a Buck Vantage. You can get a Vantage Pro for about $50 with S30V. It is sooooooo comfortable in the hand and pocket, but not a fan of the blade shape for EDC.

I wish someone would make a true sheepsfoot blade for EDC -- for what I do, it would be much better. But I don't want a 3-blade jackknife so there are few options.

The 950 (and the g710) get closer - so going to try it.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just ordered a couple Ganzo g710's. For $14 is a knife I won't be afraid to abuse and lose.

G10 scales, axis-type lock, and 440C stainless. Not nearly as nice as the crucible steels for sure, but whatever. It's $14.

I have a Ganzo G720, which I bought because I was curious.

I remain skeptical that it's really 440C, especially given the country of origin. It will take a reasonable edge, but it won't last long. The heat treatment of whatever the steel is is not optimal.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a Ganzo G720, which I bought because I was curious.

I remain skeptical that it's really 440C, especially given the country of origin. It will take a reasonable edge, but it won't last long. The heat treatment of whatever the steel is is not optimal.

I don't blame you. I wonder if anyone has tested the Ganzo steel? I have a couple other Ganzos, the edges are pretty good from the factory for an every day blade, but I haven't EDC'ed one to know if it will hold an edge.

Top Bottom