• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    Ive been thinking about getting a benchmade bushcrafter. Anyone out there have any experience with it? Any better recommendations for a bushcraft knife? I don't mind spending a little money if it gets me something of quality that I wont have to replace.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ive been thinking about getting a benchmade bushcrafter. Anyone out there have any experience with it? Any better recommendations for a bushcraft knife? I don't mind spending a little money if it gets me something of quality that I wont have to replace.

That's a fine knife, but there are too many other fine knives intended specifically for bushcraft and related tasks to mention.

You can buy it and try it, or define what tasks you want to accomplish with it. Then select a blade size, shape, grind, and steel that will best suit your needs. After that, start shopping . . .

I'm no bushcraft expert (or even a novice), but most people who practice those skills prefer a knife about the same size and shape as the Benchmade, but high carbon steels and a Scandi grind seem to be more popular. Scandi grinds are easy to make and keep very sharp and high carbon steels like 1075, 1095, 5160, A1, A2, O1, etc. contribute to that as well, at the expense of rusting easier than most stainless steels.

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I'm looking for a knife capable of bushcraft type activities, baton logs, feather sticks, etc. I will probably use it primarily for gutting deer though. I want a knife small enough to carry scout style though. Doesn't matter if the sheath can be worn scout style as I'll probably just make my own. In terms of grind and steel, I'm not that picky. I want an edge that will hold up under said activities without spending a fortune on it. If talked myself into spending up towards $200 but couldn't really justify going above that.

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I'll try to do that. I think I'll go with with Esee4. The reviews online look good. I will try to have the patience to wait until my post count gets high enough to message her. It was over 50 but they knocked it back down to thirty. I guess my conversation was not deamed "quality," too many one liners. I think one liners is pretty typical of conversation myself. I understand the rules and why they exist. I'll play by the rules, its just frustrating. I need to work on my patience for upcomind deer season anyway.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'll try to do that. I think I'll go with with Esee4. The reviews online look good. I will try to have the patience to wait until my post count gets high enough to message her. It was over 50 but they knocked it back down to thirty. I guess my conversation was not deamed "quality," too many one liners. I think one liners is pretty typical of conversation myself. I understand the rules and why they exist. I'll play by the rules, its just frustrating. I need to work on my patience for upcomind deer season anyway.

Feel free in emailing Knife Lady on her regular email address. You can find her email address in her sig line.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When I think bushcraft knife, I think Scandinavian grind. And sadly, the Benchmade is not. They also included the ring for a "dangler" setup, but don't include the top half that attaches to the belt. Kind of a shame, because I really like the feel of the knife, and Benchmade makes a great product. I like the Spyderco Bushcraft knife better, being that it's 01 steel with a Scandi grind, although admittedly, I haven't bought one yet.

I'd take a look at the Battle Horse (formerly Blind Horse) Bushcraft knife. I've had mine for a few years, and like it more and more as time goes on. If you get one, I highly recommend the Dangler Sheath, very comfortable and it never seems to be in your way. Another awesome option is the Helle Temegami. I have a few from them, but it's my personal favorite since it has a full tang.

ESEE makes great stuff, and you can't go wrong there either. But if your wanting a bushcraft style blade, get the Laser Strike. That way you get the classic Kephart style blade, with a lot of cool extras, including a fire kit inside of the handle.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I would agree with Tradertator that if you go with an ESSE, the Laser Strike is designed more as a dedicated bushcraft or camp knife.

I have an ESSE 4 and it's an awesome all around knife, but the laser strike has a couple of features that would come in handy in a survival situation.

[video=youtube_share;1nHvKfaVOiI]http://youtu.be/1nHvKfaVOiI[/video]

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    Man, I was leaning towards an Esee 4 but now, I don't know. That Laserstrike is looking pretty good. Even I could start a fire with that kit. Thats pretty BadA$$ if you think about it. Being able to start a fire in the forrest with just a knife. You can baton through a tree, split wood with it to make kindling and start the fire with the kit in the handle. Definitely leaning toward the Laserstrike now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Man, I was leaning towards an Esee 4 but now, I don't know. That Laserstrike is looking pretty good. Even I could start a fire with that kit. Thats pretty BadA$$ if you think about it. Being able to start a fire in the forrest with just a knife. You can baton through a tree, split wood with it to make kindling and start the fire with the kit in the handle. Definitely leaning toward the Laserstrike now.

It is a very good knife! You can't go wrong with either one.

Or an ESEE-6 or ESEE-CM6 for that matter.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Well you would still need the bow, drill and hearth board if the fero rod doesn't do the trick.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It is a very good knife! You can't go wrong with either one.

Or an ESEE-6 or ESEE-CM6 for that matter.

If you attempt to use the bow-drill divot, please leave the knife in the sheath. I don't want to read a thread titled "The time I tried to start a fire and eviscerated myself".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you attempt to use the bow-drill divot, please leave the knife in the sheath. I don't want to read a thread titled "The time I tried to start a fire and eviscerated myself".

Bow drills are way too much work for me.

I might make a set and then let some young guy use it to build my fire <cough!>chezuki<cough!> while I criticize everything he does along the way, though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK, I'll further complicate things. ;)

As one who has field dressed a few deer with an ESEE 4, I can recommend them. My advice; pick a bright one with the orange handle. Anything with earth colors disappears on the ground, especially with limited light. When you are on your knees, elbow deep in it, that is a problem.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Bow drills are way too much work for me.

I might make a set and then let some young guy use it to build my fire <cough!>chezuki<cough!> while I criticize everything he does along the way, though.

If the bow drill is too much work, you are doing it wrong. :p

Top Bottom