• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Benchmade will not ship it back unless you are military, LEO, or a direct dealer with them regardless of which state you live in..

why not have a benchmade dealer send it back for you?

brad are you a benchmade dealer? if so why not have him pay you a few bucks for shipping and handle it for him? just a thought

or how about this, buy a spyderco sharpmaker, and do it your self, the diamond stones will do wonders on the nick's and set up the blade profile, when your done, the ceramic will take that sucker up to a "arm hair popping edge" in no time at all, PLUS you get the added benefit of being able to resharpen your knife anytime you want.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    why not have a benchmade dealer send it back for you?

brad are you a benchmade dealer? if so why not have him pay you a few bucks for shipping and handle it for him? just a thought

It is illegal for ANYONE to possess an auto-opener in Indiana. Dealers are not exempt, nor are law enforcement, nor anyone else. If Brad took possession of the knife, he would be committing a B misdemeanor, just like the person who gives it to him. Brad's too smart for that. ;)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I wonder if making an auto knife illegal to carry when we can carry a dozen handguns and a rifle on our back with a LTCH violates equal protection. What possible rational basis could exist? The government protects us from a 3" automatic knives when people carry firearms? Methinks that the legislature screwed the pooch by not including knives in the list of things that can be carried by LTCH-holders.

The test would ask if the government's classification of automatic knives had some rational relationship to a legitimate government interest. "Legitimate" is an extremely low standard that is basically always satisfied, and so the government could clearly say that protecting its citizens from automatically-opening knife crime was a minimal level legitimate interest. The real question is, is their method rationally related to that, when applied to people who are licensed to carry handguns? Rationality is a pretty low test as well, but I really can't imagine how the government could make a straight-faced argument that some rational basis exists.

I'm not one of those people who thinks my policy preferences are a matter of constitutional law, but I think most fair-minded people would have serious questions regarding a prohibition of any type of knife carry when the person we're talking about is licensed to carry a firearm.

Perhaps we should take Florida's perspective and include billy clubs, ASPs, stun guns, and knives along with firearms and issue a license to carry a weapon, rather than just handgun(s).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Perhaps we should take Florida's perspective and include billy clubs, ASPs, stun guns, and knives along with firearms and issue a license to carry a weapon, rather than just handgun(s).

Not my preference, that is for sure. I'd much rather do away with the regulation all together. Criminals obviously don't care, and the current laws are hardly enforced (the OP managed to buy a switchblade somehow, and wasn't even trying to break a law). The only thing these laws prevent are honest citizens from having the tools to protect themselves. Do you and I really need permission to own a tool?

If you want to criminalize something, criminalize the use of a tool in a crime:
    Use of a #2 or larger Phillips-head screwdriver during the commission of a forcible felony is an A Misdemeanor..... or something.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You want to know why automatic knives and throwing stars are illegal in Indiana?

People saw scary stuff in movies and TV, the legislature had to do something immediately to protect their phony baloney jobs, and everybody gave the governor a harumph.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It is illegal for ANYONE to possess an auto-opener in Indiana. Dealers are not exempt, nor are law enforcement, nor anyone else. If Brad took possession of the knife, he would be committing a B misdemeanor, just like the person who gives it to him. Brad's too smart for that. ;)

what you mean cops have to follow the law too!!!!!!:)::laugh::)::laugh:

i know a officer who carries a benchmade infidel hidden in his body armor
    a deputy sheriff who carries a benchmade auto stryker
    a former epd officer who carried a early ox forge black knife (coolist auto knife ive ever seen!) that one was so cool it made me [STRIKE]buy[/STRIKE]i mean want to buy one!
    i had a conversation with another officer about a "switchblade", he asked me where he could buy a good one, i sent him to the gunshow, told him to go to any table selling knives, they would have one
    3 isp officers were suspended for carrying auto knives(but no charges? huh wonder why?)

and now to threadjack, has anybody heard anything about them repealing this stupid arcane law? i know it died last term, but what about this time? will it get repealed this time?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not my preference, that is for sure. I'd much rather do away with the regulation all together. Criminals obviously don't care, and the current laws are hardly enforced (the OP managed to buy a switchblade somehow, and wasn't even trying to break a law). The only thing these laws prevent are honest citizens from having the tools to protect themselves. Do you and I really need permission to own a tool?

If you want to criminalize something, criminalize the use of a tool in a crime:
    Use of a #2 or larger Phillips-head screwdriver during the commission of a forcible felony is an A Misdemeanor..... or something.

I agree with you that it's not an ideal policy. What I'm saying is that this "less than ideal" policy might be necessary to even meet minimal constitutional scrutiny.

A statute that lacks a rational basis is rare, but if it is in fact true that applying it to those with an LTCH is without any rational basis, it would be unconstitutional at least as applied to that person.

I suspect the State would claim that they're protecting us from having knives that accidentally open in our pockets or something, which has no bearing on their danger as weapons. It's possible that could be enough to convince a judge that the law was constitutional as applied even to LTCH-holders, but I think such an argument fails even the smell test when I can (and do) lawfully carry a firearm in my pocket on a regular basis.

Top Bottom