• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    Was wondering what people think of the benchmade H&K knives. I received one for Christmas and was slightly taken back by the price of it when it's still a 440c blade.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is nothing wrong with 440C. Before all the newer wonder steels came out it was considered to be one of the best steels for knives.

I don't have one of the H&K knives, but I do have multiple Benchmade knives, and they are very good.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    There is nothing wrong with 440C. Before all the newer wonder steels came out it was considered to be one of the best steels for knives.

I don't have one of the H&K knives, but I do have multiple Benchmade knives, and they are very good.

^^^Spot On^^^^

440C stainless is a very good steel that gets no respect. I believe this is due to the “super steel” hype. Another reason 440c gets a bad rap is because a lot of the less expensive knives being manufactured use 440 stainless, sometimes called "surgical stainless". Some manufactures of less expensive knives are intentionally vague about the type of steel they use. If the blade is marked "stainless steel", "surgical stainless" or just "440 stainless" you can bet it is 440A or 440B. There are different grades of 440 stainless with very different properties. There is 440A, 440B, and 440C. While 440A and 440B are "softer" grades of 440 stainless steel, they will not hold an edge nearly as well as 400C.

The type of blade steel used in a knife determines only a small percentage of the final price. There are a ton of other factors that go into determining the final price of a knife. :twocents:

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about it being 440c, I have many knives in 440c that work great. I was just wondering why the price was so high when it's the same metal used on cheaper knives. I like the knife overall, it's hair shaving sharp and has been for a few days even after using it to cut cardboard quite frequently at work. I'll upload pictures as soon as I can, I'm posting this from my phone because I'm not home, lol.

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0151.jpg IMAG0152.jpg

There it is with my H&K P30, she was trying to get something to match my gun I guess. It's the Entourage 14702SBK. She did a great job either way :rockwoot:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i've got a hk scorch auto, its my weekday knife, ive got no complaints, for the money, i dont think you could find a better auto knife, and someday im going to get a hk otf auto, and just today i went to the local gunshops with my dad, and one of my daughters, she saw a hk pika 2, and said "dad that ones cool, would you buy it for me?", brought a tear to my eye...and guess who got a new knife today.

the hk was my first benchmade knife, and wont be the last, sounds like your girlfriend is a keeper!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    These guys nailed it ^ Nothing wrong with some of the 440 steels including C. Crucible even renamed some like 440V to S60V, my guess is because of the instant association to some of the cheapy 440 stuff. Honestly, I find I like some of the steels that are less hyped and a tad bit softer for a working knife (VG-10, 154CM, etc....) Much easier to maintain, and I would rather the knife bend than break. I prefer some of the super hard stuff in a laminated form more than a solid blade, such as ZDP189. Some of the super steels are fun to use, until you need to sharpen them in a pinch and then your in trouble (Elmax is first to come to mind from a personal experience).

Top Bottom