• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    FYI: Should you have issues with your auto and have to send it back for warranty work, it should be noted that most companies (Microtech, Benchmade, Protech, Spyderco and others), will not send your knife back to you directly unless you are LEO or Military. They will send it back to a direct dealer who will be responsible in getting your knife back to you. A good direct dealer will take care of everything for you, including shipping both ways and getting your knife back to you when it has been repaired. Note: It is illegal to ship an automatic knife using USPS, you must use one of the independent carriers like UPS or FedEx. Yes I know, there are internet companies shipping auto knives using USPS, but this doesn't make it legal.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    i think what they told you is BS!!!......no offense..... BladeHq sent me a OTF auto USPS about a month ago....
    BS or no, that's their policy. At least it was as of last Friday afternoon. I implied that sentiment to them as well, while remaining civil and polite. Manager was very nice about it, even if unapologetic.

I've bought autos from BladeHQ myself. And I'll likely go to them for my next one.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The Ultratechs are not nearly as nice as the Microtechs. The Microtechs usually use a better steel and have a better glass breaker than the Ultratechs.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The Ultratechs are not nearly as nice as the Microtechs. The Microtechs usually use a better steel and have a better glass breaker than the Ultratechs.

The Ultratech is a model made by Microtech, just like the Troodon, Combat Troodon, UTX-70, and Scarab models are made by Microtech. You make it sound like the Ultratech model is not a Microtech. :dunno:

The Ultratech models use the same glass breaker as the troodon models, but not the Combat Troodon models. The Combat Troodon glass breaker is larger (and it should be for knife of this size) and has the floating ball design.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    BS or no, that's their policy. At least it was as of last Friday afternoon. I implied that sentiment to them as well, while remaining civil and polite. Manager was very nice about it, even if unapologetic.

I've bought autos from BladeHQ myself. And I'll likely go to them for my next one.

might be there policy but it's not the law......i guess when they call it in the say "other" rather than rifle or handgun....

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    It looks like a cluster**** and the Feds are at the heart of it... (Surprise!!!!!)
    I know that Freedom Arms and ZX Guns in Ft. Wayne are selling them and they had to get shipped from the distributer to the store somehow.
    I guess if I want an auto knife I'll just have to buy one and see if the Federal Alphabet Boys say anything. :dunno:

Is freedom selling OTF's or just Auto's in general?? I'm heading up there this weekend and may pick up an OTF if they have any....see if I can find any more info on the process. I know a guy that's worked there quite awhile so he should be able to give me the FULL rundown on the situation.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Is freedom selling OTF's or just Auto's in general?? I'm heading up there this weekend and may pick up an OTF if they have any....see if I can find any more info on the process. I know a guy that's worked there quite awhile so he should be able to give me the FULL rundown on the situation.
    Freedom had Microtech OTF's only. The prices were $330.00 as I recall.
    ZX had Microtech OTF's for $230.00, Paragon OTF's (Didn't ck the prices since they were single actions), and side openers ranging from $50.00 - $150.00.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The Ultratech is a model made by Microtech, just like the Troodon, Combat Troodon, UTX-70, and Scarab models are made by Microtech. You make it sound like the Ultratech model is not a Microtech. :dunno:

The Ultratech models use the same glass breaker as the troodon models, but not the Combat Troodon models. The Combat Troodon glass breaker is larger (and it should be for knife of this size) and has the floating ball design.

Yes all Microtechs need to have the glass breaker with the floating ball design. They hurt less when in your pocket.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    A dumb question from someone that has had side autos, never OTF. How do you keep the thing from firing while in your pocket?????

A good quality out the side auto will have the firing button recessed below the handle to lessen the possibility of accidental firing. Then you have some companies like Benchmade, Protech and others that have safeties. For OTF models, the amount of travel and force required for the firing button is usually enough to keep an accidental firing from happening. I want to stress this is on good quality OTF knives and not the cheap stuff coming out of China. Even with these design features, there is always the possibility of an accidental firing. With an out the side, you more likely to cut yourself reaching into your pocket if the blade has fired. With an OTF, there are internal release safeties built into the knife, so if the blade hits anything during deployment the blade releases.....you might still get pricked, but it won't be serious. Note: There is very little force behind the blade during deployment, so penetration is minimal.

Wheeler-Dealer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    East-Central
    WOW...quite a bit of mis-information floating around in here ! Haha
    I'm glad Bradsknives brought some facts into this thread.
    I currently have several OTF's..and amongst them I've got a brand new HK Epidemic and I've got a brand new Microtech Ultratech from the 2010 collection (but I agreed to trade it off tonight to another member so I won't have it for long).

Anyways here's my thoughts:

The HK is a good knife. It fires fast, locks up pretty tight and it clearly has some quality materials in it's build.
    It's got a coated D2 blade that is very sharp and it is pretty light in weight but still feels like a strong knife.

HOWEVER, it's just not the same as firing a Microtech. It almost feels a bit "twing-yy"...not "twing-yy" like the knock-off...Junky FAKE Microtech's from that are flooding in from China...but also not quite as silky as my Microtech Ultratech.

The 2010 Microtech that I have is the 122-1 model...so it has S30-V Steel with a Double Edged, Coated Dagger blade that has 7 fuller groove holes and it feel's like a fine example of a very well built knife. One that feels strong and feels like it was, indeed, built with high quality materials.
    The HK's are nice too, but if I was buying new I'd go with the Microtech.

If there was a $50-$75 difference in prices between the two, I'd think more about the HK but lately they seem to be creeping up closer and closer to the prices of the Microtech Ultratech's.

EITHER one should make you a good quality knife and if you like cheaper knives they will help to ruin that ! HAHA

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom