• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    For some reason the Beretta 96 (.40S&W) did not catch on with the general public.

The Beretta PX4 is also available in .40 and not a bad pistol if you like the .40.

The Cougar, as the 8040 is also a nice pistol.

Oh, and for those who like odd, I believe the 9000 also came in .40, but fairly rare.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I had a Centurion model 96,It was a more than decent pistol & wish I still had it . It was actually one of the most accurate pistols I owned but thought I needed another 1911. I was on the lookout for another but in fullsize.

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    So they are on a same level as Glock & SW, but not as known and owned by others. But the quality is alright to above standard to all other maker out there.
    Are they any harder to break down and any major difference that the end user will find frustrating to deal with owning a Beretta over a SW or Glock??

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I had a Centurion model 96,It was a more than decent pistol & wish I still had it . It was actually one of the most accurate pistols I owned but thought I needed another 1911. I was on the lookout for another but in fullsize.
    We always need another 1911.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I had a Beretta 96D 40 Cal and I loved how it fit my hand and the accuracy. I just didn't like the double action only so I sold it at a 1500 show. Made some good money from it too. One day I'll own another, just not a D model.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    The US Border Patrol was issued 96D models for years and most of those guys did not like them at all. My experience was that after about 50 rounds they would start jamming on a regular basis.:twocents:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    The Beretta PX4 Storm models are the easiest to field strip. It has the same slid elocking tabs that Glock has, but instead of having to pull back the slide like on the Glock, the Beretta you just pull the tabs down and pull the slide off.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The US Border Patrol was issued 96D models for years and most of those guys did not like them at all. My experience was that after about 50 rounds they would start jamming on a regular basis.:twocents:
    My experience with the Beretta 96D is just the opposite. They are accurate and reliable. One does have to learn to shoot double-action and it requires some effort. For someone who learned to shoot double-action with a revolver, the transition was easy.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    So they are on a same level as Glock & SW, but not as known and owned by others. But the quality is alright to above standard to all other maker out there.
    Are they any harder to break down and any major difference that the end user will find frustrating to deal with owning a Beretta over a SW or Glock??

I have a Beretta 96 FS INOX and it is considerably better in fit/finish/operation than 40 smiths and glocks. It is heavier than the polymer guns but I consider that a plus in a 40 since the recoil is more like a 9mm. I absolutely love this gun and the take down of a Beretta is as simple as they come - remove mag, pull slide back a bit, push button and swing the release and pull slide forward off the gun and you are done. Beretta is not discussed much since there is not a lot to say - I think it a long accepted fact that they are one of the best manufacturers out there so there is really nothing to debate. They have been in the gun business since 1526 - that's almost 500 years - IMHO they are the best for the $.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    So Beretta 96A1 seems to be a better choice for what I been seeing here.

Seems so. I own 13 Beretta autos, 1 Smith Auto and not one Glock - Does that make me biased?;) Seriously, I really like my Smith and I do like Glocks even though I do not own one but there is just something about Italian girls that makes me drool:D

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Seems so. I own 13 Beretta autos, 1 Smith Auto and not one Glock - Does that make me biased?;) Seriously, I really like my Smith and I do like Glocks even though I do not own one but there is just something about Italian girls that makes me drool:D
    It does have an "Bad Arsh" look to it compare to a square Glock shape.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    It does have an "Bad Arsh" look to it compare to a square Glock shape.

Glock being made in Austria is much like the women there - I was in Vienna and Salzburg a few years back and I understand now why Glocks have that squarish clunky appearance:): - Now in Italy, the women are, well let's say, rather curvy;);):D:D

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    The 96 frame (.40 cal) and 92 frame (9mm) are both the same:

You can either buy a 92 or 96 and easily change calibers with a simple upper swap.

Beretta's are a popular brand to part out and modify (create "franken-guns")

Finding uppers from gunbroker and similar is not hard at all...

All you need is an upper of the caliber you desire and a mag for the ammo...once you have the lower, you're good to go! :rockwoot:

I would recommend checking out: http://www.berettaforum.net for more info

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The 96 frame (.40 cal) and 92 frame (9mm) are both the same:

You can either buy a 92 or 96 and easily change calibers with a simple upper swap.

Beretta's are a popular brand to part out and modify (create "franken-guns")

Finding uppers from gunbroker and similar is not hard at all...

All you need is an upper of the caliber you desire and a mag for the ammo...once you have the lower, you're good to go! :rockwoot:

I would recommend checking out: http://www.berettaforum.net for more info
    Now I have to ask more about this. Can a Beretta 96D be transformed into a 92FS? Would the 92FS magazines fit and function in the 96D frame? How about going from double action only to traditional double action?

Top Bottom