• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The 41 by far better than the 87. I've got two 87's and six 41's. But if you want a real shooter, dollar for dollar it's tuff to beat this.

ben.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have 2 S&W Mod 41s and love them both. They shoot great right out of the box and once you find the ammo they like they are extremely accurate. Better get one while you can as they are getting harder to find and their price keeps going up. :twocents:

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I deeply love my S&W 41 - it's the most accurate gun I've ever fired. They're pricey but man they hit where you hold them.

I agree with everything stated above… except for the part about there being no magic in the world. :)

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    One of the best kept secrets in target shooting is the High Standard 10X
    made in Texas .Cost less than the S&W 41 and shoots on a par or better.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    One of the best kept secrets in target shooting is the High Standard 10X
    made in Texas .Cost less than the S&W 41 and shoots on a par or better.

With High standards history I don't think its a viable/sustanable firearm for someone who wants to shoot regularly

High standard has changed hands more than a $1 bill and parts and mags are single sourced.

Several people at HHRP shoot Highstandards and they have magazine trouble or this and that. After someone puts some effort into it and finds mags that work reliably and gets ammo the pistols like they run but they never run for a long time without some kind of quirk

the 41 is industry supported, mags can be had at many retail outlets, I have not seen a super sensitivity to ammo but I have seen some target ammo that gets a little light for the 41 but then again if you decide to stay with a certian ammo there are spring kits at Midway and other places that can be on your doorstep in a couple days.

I don't want to knock your High Standard but If I was to buy right now and had to buy off the shelf there's no doubt it would be the 41, Even the Beretta 87 suffers from the the same problems, I would put a $20 that if you go to 5 large gunshops that you could get more 41 mags than the others combined, Now don't jump on me for being on a bandwagon but really its something you have to think of.

I jumped in on a EAA Witness Match without checking out mags and holsters and it has been a constant irritation that I just can't buy what I want. If waiting for parts, ect. don't bother you then ignore this post.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    You are correct about problems on the late HI Standards made in Con.and some of the early one's made in Texas. The Texas guns being made now are top quality and no a 10x can't be bought off the shelf about a 9-12 mo.wait .Most of the problems with the FTF problems are because of the non standard mag's , factory mags are heat treated at the feed lips and hold their position without bending . Check out the rimfire forum on the new H.S. pistols .You are right about the M 41 being a great pistol , just pointing to an other great pistol.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Of the two you noted, I would have to pick the 41. I have shot thousands of rounds through several 41's and know them inside and out.

That being said, if I were going to buy a .22 target gun, it would be a Benelli MP-95 from Larry's Guns.

Of course, what I really want is to build a 1911 for Bullseye and get a Marvel conversion for it.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    The High Standards made in TX now are of very high quality, and have a superb warranty. I bought a Houston Victor used, and it would not feed due to an oversize chamber so I sent it back to the factory and they completely rebuilt the pistol and added a new stainless frame. It shoots great now.
    I also am soon to be in the market for a S&W 41 though, because I have always wanted one.
    Dave

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Get the Model 41, and order a spring calibration kit from Wolff. That kit will allow you to "function tune" the gun to the ammo you choose, simply by changing the recoil spring. If you can afford the 41, the spring kit at around $25 is nothing... :)

Top Bottom