• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    A friend of mine just bought this Beretta 9000S .40s&w, new in box. This gun was stored for +/-11 years, it was manufactured in 2.000 (BN code), s/n 005xxx. Early production as far as I know.

The rubber/polymer grip was falling in pieces. It seems that this rubber degenerates with time. I guess this happenned only to some early production units. Fact is it happened to this one.

I removed the grip (the pieces of rubber/polymer) and left the 9000s “naked”. I tried putting a rubber grip sleeve (pantyhose?) from Buttler Creek but it didn’t fit (too long at the front side).

Then I tried a “poor’s man gun pantyhose”..bike tube. This was better, but still not good enough. It was impossible to cover the area below the hammer because of its shape; the tube would not follow the contours (see pics). Another problem was that the naked surface was not totally flat. The rear block spring pin protrudes, and the grip has some sort of “ribs” behind the hammer spring that are very noticeable (pics). These protruding parts were very obvious as the bike tube has thin flexible walls that cannot conceal such protrusions. To fix this I used a piece of tire inner tube (much thicker than the bike tube) stuffed in between the grip and the bike tube. Now we got an almost smooth grip, better looking one (pics).

But...there is still much room for improvement. I am thinking of using skateboard tape. That is my next project. Meanwhile I would like to know your suggestions – how would you fix this? what would you do/use? :)

One thing: the original rubber grip was very thick in the rear, where the “ribs” are. I guess this helped to absorb some recoil. Now, without this cushion, I wonder what the recoil will be... and yes, I know, theres only one way to know.

Oh!...last one: getting rid of the original rubber has a positive side: the grip is now less thick, much more comfortable to grab, at least for my kinda small hands. I like it better “naked”, but the looks....

Pics:

Naked girl

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dressed girl

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a 9000S, but I am not familiar with how they shipped in their first year. Mine is a 2006 and there is no over-grip. The lower is molded "plastic". It is interesting that the one in your photos does look like it was designed to have that sleeve over the normal grip.

I would suggest giving Beretta USA a call and find out about that grip.

Will upload a pic of the final grip/frame style in a moment.

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    What are the chances that some cleaning solvent got on the grip?

-J-

Slim, I would say, as my friend bought his 9000s new in box, never used, directly from a dealer. Dealer could have cleaned it with a solvent, but that would be very unusual....but who knows... :dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    picture.php

After looking very closely at mine, it never dawned on me that there might be a very thin sleeve over the plastic frame, but looking closely I could see where it is possible there is a very thin something that might be over the frame.

Very interesting!!!!

On the other hand, looking at your photos, it looks like the sleeve had a chemical in it that worked against the chemicals in the frame causing a slight melt down of the plastic. The reason I say it looks like an after market sleeve is that under the mag release on the right side is a push button that is covered by the sleeve in your photo, but is obviously external on my pistol, and your photos of the frame after taking off the sleeve shows that button.

Give Beretta a call, there is no reason that this should happen, although rubber does degrade with age, but it usually is direct sunlight or chemicals that accelerate it. Any over-sleeve should not cause a chemical reaction to the frame, and if it did, Beretta should be made aware.

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    picture.php
    ...............under the mag release on the right side is a push button that is covered by the sleeve in your photo, but is obviously external on my pistol, and your photos of the frame after taking off the sleeve shows that button. .....

That push button under the mag release IS part of the mag release. It is external, but in the "dressed girl" pics I put a bike tube that covers said buttom.

picture.php
    After looking very closely at mine, it never dawned on me that there might be a very thin sleeve over the plastic frame, but looking closely I could see where it is possible there is a very thin something that might be over the frame. .....

indykid, it seems to me that the "very thin sleeve over the plastic frame" that you see is the rubber (polymer?) that covers it. This cover is not that thin, specially at the back, where it works as a "cushion" to - my guess - reduce felt recoil. What you see in my "naked" pics is the plastic frame without said rubber (which "degenerated" - became a little sticky and broke in pieces)

Last edited:

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    In the following pics you can compare the original 9000s (pics taken from internet) with my pics of the "naked" 9000s (without the rubber).

B9kleft.jpg

1.jpg

B9kright.jpg

2.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I would have never dreamed that was a cover over the frame itself, but seeing your photos shows it is. As I said earlier, call Beretta and see what they say. When you talk to them, let them know you have photos and only send them to a specific person. Although Beretta customer service is pretty good, they are known for being slow to answer the phone, and even slower to respond to direct to the company emails, which is why I suggest getting the person's name to send the pix to.

Good luck!

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    My friend will sell the 9000s to me, if I want it. I am considering buying it. I do not care about the rubber cover (well, lack of..) but I am concerned -just a bit- about the safety lever recall that affected early .40 F type 9000s.

This one was manufactured in 2.000 (BN code) with s/n 005xxx. I guess the chances are high that it was affected. Does someone here knows something about this? Like s/n range of units affected?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield

Thank you indykid !! :):)

I sense a little purple???

Ignacio49, had I known you are in a country way south of south of the boarder, as in South America I wouldn't have suggested you call Beretta USA. I did suspect something by the way you listed the date of manufacture.

Good luck.

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I sense a little purple???
    Ignacio49, had I known you are in a country way south of south of the boarder, as in South America I wouldn't have suggested you call Beretta USA. I did suspect something by the way you listed the date of manufacture.

Good luck.

indykid.....I do not understand "little purple"... English is not my native language and I have been looking for a while now for a translation in internet but so far have not found any...hahahaha :):... please tell me the meaning - thanks.

And my thanking you was honest - you wanted to help me. In fact I was thinking about calling Beretta USA (gun says "Beretta USA Corp ACKK MD" in slide) to find out if they have a suggestion about what to use as a grip cover. I do not expect them to fix the gun, as it would require sending the 9K to them/getting it back, and because of my local customs and regulations that would be "impossible mission".

Top Bottom