• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    Right now i have just a stander out of the box two toned Beretta 92 FS.
    its boring.

I like doing my own work if i can so I'm looking for things i can put on to make my gun more of a tactical weapon. things i can take off and replace and tone up to make it a more efficient gun.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Aside from shiny bobbles, common upgrades often include a softer hammer spring, replacement trigger spring (known issue), polished feed ramp, recoil spring guide bumper, there are some interesting recoil spring "systems" out there that claim to help with recoil as well. Those are often where people start on a 92.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A standard GI spec 1911 hammer spring drops right in a 92 fs/96 Beretta and greatly improves the trigger pull. I have done this on at least 5 pistols. They are still 100% reliable with any ammo I have tried.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Check out wilson combat. They are back in the beretta game with awesome parts and accessories. I added several pieces to my 92FS and had AllenM drill /mill the front sight and add a fiber optic rod. It works terrific. Also had a little Cerakote work done at the same time.

i would also recommend MecGar 18 round mags.... You can never have enough mags!

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Considering the Series 92FS is identical to the military issue M9 except for markings and a couple of insignificant differences which lately appear Beretta has even taken those away, making it more of a "tactical weapon" isn't warranted. Out of the box it is a "tactical weapon". :D

Like others have said, the big change for the better is replacing the FS hammer spring with the one from the D model. Some people have done some polishing work on the trigger mechanism but most Beretta owners have found that this pistol gets better with age, and the trigger smooths itself out after some firing. I know one guy who put a snap cap in his 92FS and watched a movie while constantly pulling the trigger. He said that at the end of the movie he couldn't believe it was the same pistol as the trigger felt much smoother. I would like to see the muscle this guy has on his trigger finger!

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    If you want the "tactical" look, shoot the hell out of it and draw it from a holster about 5,000 times... that should give a nice worn tactical look. :) And it will be a lot more fun. In all seriousness, D spring, Wolff or WC trigger spring unit, and be done with it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ARGH!! Ya'll are KILLING me here.

...making it more of a "tactical weapon" isn't warranted. Out of the box it is a "tactical weapon". :D
    Lots of glitter.
    If you want the "tactical" look, shoot the hell out of it and draw it from a holster about 5,000 times... that should give a nice worn tactical look.
    It is a great pistol already.

When I asked him/her to:

Please clarify what you mean by the above statement...

...I was really asking what exactly they thought was a "Tactical" pistol. I was hoping I could get some answer out of the OP before they were told what's up, but apparently that is not going to happen. Note that I am not in any disagreement here.

My answer was to buy 2 cases of white box, and do a 3-1 dry/live fire training routine for as long as that ammo lasts, then repeat. Much the same as Wally's answer, really.

For accessories, it would have been better to have a rail, as a Streamlight et al would be really good. Since the OP doesn't have a rail, get a good light and learn to use it in the weak hand. I'd get some better night sights on it as well. And uh, that's probably about it.

Sigh... :n00b:

-Nate

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ARGH!! Ya'll are KILLING me here.

When I asked him/her to:

...I was really asking what exactly they thought was a "Tactical" pistol. I was hoping I could get some answer out of the OP before they were told what's up, but apparently that is not going to happen. Note that I am not in any disagreement here.

My answer was to buy 2 cases of white box, and do a 3-1 dry/live fire training routine for as long as that ammo lasts, then repeat. Much the same as Wally's answer, really.

For accessories, it would have been better to have a rail, as a Streamlight et al would be really good. Since the OP doesn't have a rail, get a good light and learn to use it in the weak hand. I'd get some better night sights on it as well. And uh, that's probably about it.

Sigh... :n00b:

-Nate

Haha, all in good fun. If you have the straight dust cover version, you can buy a rail adapter for it and works fairly well. Other than that, it doesn't take much to make a good beretta. The fact that you can get a brand new 92fs for $499 shipped is amazing in my eyes.

Top Bottom