Beretta Carry, Safety on Full Pull, or Safety off and Half Cocked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    For those who don't like safeties, why bother with a G conversion? Just leave the safety "off", and carry as normal (with first shot being double-action). It's not very difficult to chamber a round, use the safety as a decocker and then just switch it back off in the same second. I have a 92FS. Pushing the safety on and then back off is pretty much the same as the "G"...

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    For those who don't like safeties, why bother with a G conversion? Just leave the safety "off", and carry as normal (with first shot being double-action). It's not very difficult to chamber a round, use the safety as a decocker and then just switch it back off in the same second. I have a 92FS. Pushing the safety on and then back off is pretty much the same as the "G"...
    One reason I hear why a lot of folks are against safeties Specifically with a Berettas slide mounted safety is Because there is a concern by some that slide mounted safety gets inadvertently placed on safe (down) position while doing the hand over/sling shot whatever you want to call it reload method.

While I never saw this as an issue in 17 years of carrying a Beretta daily and running training some folks buy it as too much a possibility.

To me that’s like worrying about a certain shaped rear sight in case of one hand slide manipulation. It’s probably not gonna happen but people like to spend time and worry about the small things!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Right behind you

You're, of course, right. But it's just simpler to press the lever and let it go. One less thing to do.

mr_kravmaga

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2021
    Trafalgar
    One reason I hear why a lot of folks are against safeties Specifically with a Berettas slide mounted safety is Because there is a concern by some that slide mounted safety gets inadvertently placed on safe (down) position while doing the hand over/sling shot whatever you want to call it reload method.

While I never saw this as an issue in 17 years of carrying a Beretta daily and running training some folks buy it as too much a possibility.

To me that’s like worrying about a certain shaped rear sight in case of one hand slide manipulation. It’s probably not gonna happen but people like to spend time and worry about the small things!
    Bingo. Too much tactical youtube.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The likelihood of most of us actually needing a firearm is pretty low but most of us here still do. Much like the chances of the safety flipping on accidentally. I've heard stories of safeties being inadvertently activated, seen it a few times at the range too. If you have a safety on your carry gun, train around using and turning it off.

I only carry decocker-only DA/SA. In the past I flirted with 1911s, I don't mind those too much because I just rest my thumb on top of the safety, turning it off as part of taking a firing grip. If/when I ever get a Beretta, it'll be a G or become one. I dislike slide-safeties as unergonomic (vs a nice 1911 safety).

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

Thanks for the explanation. I carry with the safety on anyway (because that's what I'm used to and that's how I train). I certainly understand why many choose to carry without a thumb-activated safety, but was always curious why they cared whether the gun had one or not. :)

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

That's right up there with thinking your Beretta trigger is going to break.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That's right up there with thinking your Beretta trigger is going to break.
    LOL, I will say my agency had the 92 DAO Vertecs that have plastic triggers. The training guns we used the triggers actually did break but the metal trigger guns were GTG

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

See below.
    The likelihood of most of us actually needing a firearm is pretty low but most of us here still do. Much like the chances of the safety flipping on accidentally. I've heard stories of safeties being inadvertently activated, seen it a few times at the range too. If you have a safety on your carry gun, train around using and turning it off.

I only carry decocker-only DA/SA. In the past I flirted with 1911s, I don't mind those too much because I just rest my thumb on top of the safety, turning it off as part of taking a firing grip. If/when I ever get a Beretta, it'll be a G or become one. I dislike slide-safeties as unergonomic (vs a nice 1911 safety).
    I used to carry a ruger p-95 decocker w safety. When taking it out of the holster one day I noticed the safety was on. Whether I forgot to take it off after holstering or it got bumped on I have no idea but it's one less thing to worry about if it doesn't have one.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    If by safety on and full pull you mean cocked and locked like a 1911 style semiauto, there is no such option on any Beretta models(92's and PX4) that I am aware of.

My Springfield Armory XDE has the option to carry cocked and locked. Only DA/SA semiauto that I know has that option.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If by safety on and full pull you mean cocked and locked like a 1911 style semiauto, there is no such option on any Beretta models(92's and PX4) that I am aware of.

My Springfield Armory XDE has the option to carry cocked and locked. Only DA/SA semiauto that I know has that option.
    FNX 45tac has that option, cocked and locked or decocked safety off DA.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Don't have any 92s or PX4s but if I did they would be carried like I carry my DA/SA CZs: decocked which means the hammer goes to wherever the decocker drops it. Half cock notch on CZs, all the way down on Berettas.

Safety off if it was an F model, which wouldn't stay that way for long (converted to G)

Saying "round in the chamber" is redundant. LOL who doesn't?
    I sure keep one in the pipe all the time.

The need to specify though in my mind stems from military carry conditions 1,2,3, and 4 as I learned it. Through history there has been lots examples of groups being instructed to carry empty chamber during certain conditions. During my time we were never allowed to carry the M4 or the M500 with a round in the chamber.

Aside from that for what its worth.... I have had a fair amount of customers in the shop state they won't carry with one in the pipe.

Its usually an amateur thing from what I've seen. Or an unsafe system.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    How do you carry your Beretta?
    I used to carry an M9 on watch. We were always instructed to carry condition 1. Round in the chamber, decocked, and safety on.

Really risky in my mind considering the high likelihood of shooters drawing and having a dead trigger since they forgot to flip the safety off.

That makes the 92G model really attractive to me. You safely carry decocked, but you never have that chance of a dead trigger.

I used to help instruct sailors to qualify with the beretta. Probably 20% of the time people would forget that safety.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I used to carry an M9 on watch. We were always instructed to carry condition 1. Round in the chamber, decocked, and safety on.

Really risky in my mind considering the high likelihood of shooters drawing and having a dead trigger since they forgot to flip the safety off.

That makes the 92G model really attractive to me. You safely carry decocked, but you never have that chance of a dead trigger.

I used to help instruct sailors to qualify with the beretta. Probably 20% of the time people would forget that safety.
    Hence "if you have it, train for it". Always train to always use it, even if you don't plan to.

I say this knowing full well I don't know which way is fire and safe on most of my bolt guns.

Top Bottom