Beretta Pico or Kahr CW380 - anyone with leads or info?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Has anyone had some range time with the CW380?

I purchased a new CW380 last week and put 50 or 60 rounds through it. So far I am not impressed as I could not get through one clip without a jam. I went through a clip of Hornday and several clips of Remington (both JHP) and the clip of PMC (FMJ) was the worst. The Owners manual does say to shoot at least 200 rounds to break it in but I would not expect a jam on every clip. I can't carry this gun with confidence at this point.

In addition, another Gent at the range with a .40 Kahr is having the same/similar problem but the difference is he had ran 200 + through his Kahr firearm.

Any advise?

I have not had extensive range time, I have put probably 50 rounds more or less through mine, just a little from two separate boxes. This weekend I am going to run another 50 through it though and some hollow points. I ran junk steel out of it and saving my brass. Like wolf and tul… I have not had any malfunctions at all. After I run another box or maybe 2 through it when I have the time ill carry it at least as a bug. This is assuming I don't see any malfunctions, but I do not expect any at all. For me it seems to be a fantastic little gun. My current gun though is very much so proven.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Oh and have you had anymore luck assuming you've went and out and shot some more? I am curious because I am happy, at least as of now

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County

I purchased a new CW380 last week and put 50 or 60 rounds through it. So far I am not impressed as I could not get through one clip without a jam. I went through a clip of Hornday and several clips of Remington (both JHP) and the clip of PMC (FMJ) was the worst. The Owners manual does say to shoot at least 200 rounds to break it in but I would not expect a jam on every clip. I can't carry this gun with confidence at this point.

In addition, another Gent at the range with a .40 Kahr is having the same/similar problem but the difference is he had ran 200 + through his Kahr firearm.

Any advise?

when you say jam are you implying nose dive? Is the slide locking back? Kahr pistols are super tight so make sure it is lubed up well. Another thing check to make sure the magazine springs are in the rigt way.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    +1 on this.

I have owned 4 Kahr pistols and have found them to be extremely reliable. The only malfunctions I have ever had were on the first magazine of rounds on a CM9...after that it ran just fine. Two PM9s and an MK40 have never malfunctioned for me. That said, I have carefully cleaned my Kahrs before taking them to the range. I recommend cleaning thoroughly, then field stripping and re-swabbing the rails after cycling the slide 50-100 times. I lightly lubricate with a thin coat of Gunzilla or Rem Oil, and place a tiny bead of TW25b on the inside of the slide where it rides the rails. After that, all my Kahrs have been totally dependable. I hope you are able to get yours to function this well too, they are great little pistols. They just need a little breaking in. Best of luck.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Oh, and be sure to read that linked article...as mentioned above, the reversed magazine spring thing really does happen. Seems like a silly thing for them to miss at the factory, but it's a simple fix.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    I've been anxious to get my hands on a Pico ever since I first heard about them. Guess I need to take another look at Kahr now though. For the moment anyway, I am very happy with my Bodyguard.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

Any advise?

I've been advised by a fellow kahr owner and member of ingo that it is wise to thoroughly polish the crap out of the kahr feed ramp as they can be picky at times. once this is done they usually run flawless, so i've heard.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    My fiancée has a Kahr CW45 that she purchased used(looks brand new).First time out we ran 100 rounds of WWB and a magazine of Precision Cartridges hollow point ammo and we did not get any problems. Sweet trigger on the Kahrs .

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    My fiancée has a Kahr CW45 that she purchased used(looks brand new).First time out we ran 100 rounds of WWB and a magazine of Precision Cartridges hollow point ammo and we did not get any problems. Sweet trigger on the Kahrs .

I don't know if it was just the 2 cw9's I messed with, but the trigger pull seriously felt like a creaky door.. my cw380 however is the best dao trigger I've ever felt.

dsears

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indiana
    An update on my CW380. I sent it back to Kahr to have the extractor repaired. I ran a box through last night with only one jam. 50 down and 150 to go! Thanks for the replies.

BTW, I was looking for a Pico but I can't find them anywhere and why I purchased a Kahr.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    An update on my CW380. I sent it back to Kahr to have the extractor repaired. I ran a box through last night with only one jam. 50 down and 150 to go! Thanks for the replies.

BTW, I was looking for a Pico but I can't find them anywhere and why I purchased a Kahr.

Good deal, hope the rest of those rounds go flawlessly for you!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I called and spoke to someone at Kahr a few months ago. They explained the problem, and said they would be out around late November in small numbers. I guess they were right. Where did you get yours? And when you try it out, give a range report. I liked my CM9 so much I bought a spare. Really curious about the little .380.

Would you mind telling us what was "the problem" they explained to you?

Top Bottom