• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wasn't aware of that. beretta's refusal to make more G models is why I gave up on them and switched to glock for competition. I might have to pick up a new G ...

-rvb

I am not a Beretta fan but I believe this model simply decocks. In other words not goofy reversed safety to disengage or to accidently engage while running the slide. They look awesome so on my want list.

interesting... I was about to post that there's no way it could make the production gun list being a limited production specialty/custom gun from a 3rd party custom shop, but there it is on the list (under Beretta, no less). I'm actually kinda disapointed in uspsa for this.... I'm surprised they met the quantity required...

so can I use the WC mag release on a 92FS in production division? I guess this means yes........

-rvb

Even though it is a custom gun it is still a Beretta 92, also Wilson (while he can do what he wants for IDPA) has upped the numbers so there should not be an issue since even if they want to count it separate from the plain 92's with the numbers shouldn't be an issue. Any shooting sport is more of an equipment race these days.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Even though it is a custom gun it is still a Beretta 92, also Wilson (while he can do what he wants for IDPA) has upped the numbers so there should not be an issue since even if they want to count it separate from the plain 92's with the numbers shouldn't be an issue. Any shooting sport is more of an equipment race these days.

It is not a model, or similar to a model, listed currently on BUSA's webpage. Why USPSA has approved it under the beretta name is beyond me.

You could argue the m9a1, which I think was the frame used, is approved, and the rest is a conglomeration of parts from other approved models, but that's not quite true either....

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The M9A1 has a squared trigger guard.

It looks like a 92a1 frame on which they opened up the magwell and checkered.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The M9A1 has a squared trigger guard.

It looks like a 92a1 frame on which they opened up the magwell and checkered.

The plot thickens...
    "a modified M9A1 style checkered frame with accessory rail and rounded trigger guard."

so if they modified the profile, that definitely makes it "not a beretta" by the rules.

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The plot thickens...
    "a modified M9A1 style checkered frame with accessory rail and rounded trigger guard."

so if they modified the profile, that definitely makes it "not a beretta" by the rules.

-rvb

Oh, I agree.

Both IDPA and USPSA are losing some credibility on this one.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It is not a model, or similar to a model, listed currently on BUSA's webpage. Why USPSA has approved it under the beretta name is beyond me.

You could argue the m9a1, which I think was the frame used, is approved, and the rest is a conglomeration of parts from other approved models, but that's not quite true either....

-rvb

Oh, I agree.

Both IDPA and USPSA are losing some credibility on this one.

While true for the most par,t when you look at the changes most of the top gamers make to their production guns is it really a big deal with the Wilson? A good example/comparison is the CZ 75 SP01 and now the Shadow. Someone is always pushing the limits to something.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    M92A1.jpg

Yippee Ki Yay!

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    While true for the most par,t when you look at the changes most of the top gamers make to their production guns is it really a big deal with the Wilson? A good example/comparison is the CZ 75 SP01 and now the Shadow. Someone is always pushing the limits to something.

Are the mods a big deal? no.
    Is the consistency with which uspsa applies rules a big deal? yes.
    mountain from a molehill? probably.

what's to stop a company like salient, for example, from buying a bunch of G34s, tricking them way the hell out, mag wells mag release paddles and all so long as it fits the box, and calling it a "production gun." The precident has been set. At least SP01's and shadows came from CZ, not Bob's Gunplumbing who twiddled on some CZ's; so not really apples to apples.

the path HQ is on, soon it will need to be renamed L10-minor.

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    You guys know much more about the competitive organizations than I do, but most of the talk I have heard centers around it only being approved because of who's name is on it.

On the IDPA side, I think that's absolutley true. IDPA is a for profit org of which bill Wilson is the president.

compare how this Wilson custom beretta is IDPA SSP legal, but the CZ shadow target, a CZ usa catalogued gun is not.

on the USPSA side, it's not the name but rather an overall more permissive approach to letting guns in production division. The FN 5" got on the list before any were available to the public, the CZ shadow targets and accu shadows are allowed, the new wiz bang grand power xcalibur will be approved, and so on.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You guys know much more about the competitive organizations than I do, but most of the talk I have heard centers around it only being approved because of who's name is on it.

On the IDPA side, I think that's absolutley true. IDPA is a for profit org of which bill Wilson is the president.

compare how this Wilson custom beretta is IDPA SSP legal, but the CZ shadow target, a CZ usa catalogued gun is not.

on the USPSA side, it's not the name but rather an overall more permissive approach to letting guns in production division. The FN 5" got on the list before any were available to the public, the CZ shadow targets and accu shadows are allowed, the new wiz bang grand power xcalibur will be approved, and so on.

The problem is there is an EGO involved. When IDPA started it was boasted that it would not become an equipment race like IPSC had in the day. Then a few years into it IDPA recanted when they started not allowing the 5" 625's and restricting revolvers to 4.2 inch or less

Then a few years later when SIG came out with their all steel frame 220 Ernst Langdon swept the IDPA Nationals CDP with an EVIL DA non 1911 gun so what does IDPA do? They looked at the steel 220 that Mr Langdon used at 42 oz's and make an immediate rule change that guns in CDP can't weigh more than 41 oz's. Now thats a hurt EGO there IMHO

The biggest winner in IDPA is IPSC shooters because it was one reason that caused IPSC to open up production Class which is the most economical division to get started in and if your a working Joe or Jill you can compete, have fun and nit break the bank

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    CDP has a weight limit of 41 oz. Be hard for a lot of full size stock 1911s to make it under that wire. Both of mine are around 42oz empty.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    CDP has a weight limit of 41 oz. Be hard for a lot of full size stock 1911s to make it under that wire. Both of mine are around 42oz empty.

That whole weight limit happened right before all the rails became tacticool, not sure what the IDPA rule is now since I have only shot one match since my club folded up before the sill 5" 625 restriction took effect. If a gun is allowed in CDP over 41 oz now it's because someone couldn't get the wieght down on something they make. LOL

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The biggest winner in IDPA is IPSC shooters because it was one reason that caused IPSC to open up production Class which is the most economical division to get started in and if your a working Joe or Jill you can compete, have fun and nit break the bank

The problem is the perception of ipsc production is changing... Now it seems you "have" to have a cz/tangfo to even start in the game.... Just look at all those threads to that effect here, even from newbs who've never competed or have a match or two under their belt...

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The problem is the perception of ipsc production is changing... Now it seems you "have" to have a cz/tangfo to even start in the game.... Just look at all those threads to that effect here, even from newbs who've never competed or have a match or two under their belt...

-rvb

That's really nothing new. So many people come into the game thinking they're the hot stuff at shooting and the only reason they aren't beating so and so is because of the gear. We see it all the time here on INGO. A seasoned competitor posts some sort of video, and legions of non-competitors chime in that they could do that too if they had gamer this or gamer that.

So many newbs come into the game with that mentality already ingrained, and that's not a new phenomenon. Before, it was super duper wizbang Vanek trigger kits on Glock 34s with aftermarket barrels, or even further back, had to have the Beretta Elites instead of the plain ol' M9.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

-rvb

I agree with you, the gamers are going to game everywhere but it is about as good as the average Joe has it unless they have a real production class with only sights, a trigger not under a certain weight and no slide mods. Keeping it closer to out of the box than what some do. Then as folks are in it is they want to expand they can move up to the other divisions JMHO.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's really nothing new. So many people come into the game thinking they're the hot stuff at shooting and the only reason they aren't beating so and so is because of the gear. We see it all the time here on INGO. A seasoned competitor posts some sort of video, and legions of non-competitors chime in that they could do that too if they had gamer this or gamer that.

So many newbs come into the game with that mentality already ingrained, and that's not a new phenomenon. Before, it was super duper wizbang Vanek trigger kits on Glock 34s with aftermarket barrels, or even further back, had to have the Beretta Elites instead of the plain ol' M9.

Ya, I was thinking that as I typed that... The 92G elites were probably the first factory gamer gun used as IDPA was relatively new as was ipsc production division. The pendulum is fun to watch.... I remember I couldn't get through a match w.o some earful about how much better I could be if I got rid of that DA gun and got a gun w. A consistent trigger pull. Now everyone tells me how much better I could be if I got rid of the Glock and got a DA/SA gun...

so much emphasis on gear and so little on shooting... I remember my EII being my reward to myself for making IDPA Master with my old police-trade-in 92FS... :D

I don't have any problem w this WC 92, or the tangfos, or the FNs, I just wish HQ would be more consistent in their criteria for pistol acceptance into the division.... I want new folks to want to try the sport, not stay away because it seems it's going to cost them a ton of money to even try it out...

-rvb

Top Bottom