• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Anyone know when the berm maintenance will be completed? About the only time I am able to go is after work on weekdays, around 4:15 till 5:15-5:30, just when the berm work is over for the day. Haven't gone in over a month, work is stressing me out, and I need some Range Therapy! :(

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    It's meant to be completed tomorrow at the end of the
    day. There's events/classes sat & sun which causes congestion/back up problems but
    then it should be back to "normal" next week.
    I showed up a couple of times and didn't expect issues and was sadly disappointed
    so I would recommend checking the website/schedule (although it is subject to change ......). I didn't know how much down and unavailable range time there was at this range before I joined. I will be interested I'm how the berm project turns out since it has been going on for month (started 8-8-12) and has affected my range usage, and others I encouraged to join!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    We apologize for any inconvenience the berm maintenance has caused. We strive to keep the club open to the members as much as humanly possible but sometimes progress has to take precedence over convenience. It has become necessary to upgrade our safety features (berms) to ensure the longevity of the club. This procedure requires that the range be closed for the safety of the workers who are completing the project. Please bear with us during the construction phase and keep in mind that said construction is a service to you and all the members of MCFG.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    What have the changed? Any pictures available?! I want to join MCFG (been there as a guest, it's great) but I don't think i'll have enough money for the class to meet the new requirements and the range fees after I purchase my first gun. :(

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Whoa, can't wait to get back there! Err, care to make me an honorary member VUPD? :dunno: :D

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    r u guys still working on the berms today???? i looked at the schedule and it still says closed all week. thought they were finished. Anyone know when they will b done and back open?????

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Berm work at MCF&G pics.

Here are a few pictures I took while helping out at MCF&G last week. The work is going on longer than at first anticipated because we are receiving more FREE dirt than was originally promised. The free dirt is a real boon for the club as purchasing fill is quite expensive. We are getting this much needed work done for merely the cost of the dozer! For reasons that are obvious in the picture the main range must remain closed while the work is proceeding (the dozer operator is NOT John Wayne in,"The Fighting Sea-bees"!) Also the range itself including the bays need to remain closed during work as the drivers do not want to work around live fire and we need to keep traffic on the road down as it is impossible to pass one of the trucks if it is coming down our narrow gravel road. We have seen as many as 80 truckloads come in a single day so it is busy. :)

MCFGbermwork017.jpg

MCFGbermwork010.jpg

MCFGbermwork002.jpg

MCFGbermwork014.jpg

MCFGbermwork012.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks to all of those volunteering their time and resources to make the range better.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks to all of those volunteering their time and resources to make the range better.

Thanks especially to John Bumen and Cliff Burlew for the help. They've been out there anywhere from 6:45 am to 5 pm many days during this process, and we just wouldn't have been able to get the job done without their help. Both of these guys are unpaid volunteers; any way you can say "Thank You" to these guys on behalf of the club would be much appreciated by me and the rest of the Board.

The 100 yard berm is just about twice as tall as it used to be now, and we're hoping to go up another 5-10' if possible. Very soon the dirt should be taller than the wood fence (in some places it already is!).

My apologies to anyone this has affected; it has been impossible to predict what days we can work (due to weather and equipment availability) so we've had a lot of range closures during the day (7 am - 5 pm). We're doing our best to minimize the amount of time that the range is closed, but we realize that in order to make the range a better place for future generations, we have to invest time now. Thanks to all the past and present members that make these improvements possible.

Sincerely,
    Chuck

Last edited:

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I appreciate the needs to make the range better. It has put me out of business as far as shooting my guns goes. The only time I am able to shoot is during the day when it is closed (I travel every week Thurs-Mon so I need to be a husband and dad in the evening). I was turned away on August 8th and my guns have seen no trigger time since. Did make it to an indoor range in Atlanta a few weeks ago, but its not the same (rental guns). I can't wait for things to get back to normal so I can get back out there...

I encountered the two gentlemen mentioned back in August and I am amazed that they have been out there every day. Thanks to them for their time and dedication to MCF&G...

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I greatly appreciate the hard work people have put into making MCFG better. It just sucks in that I haven't been able to go shooting in over a month because every time I can get there, MCFG is closed for maintenance. Getting a little frustrated as you're the only range relatively close to me and I'm paying for access which I can't use.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    FYI, we plan to have the range open normally (during the week too) for the next 2 weeks. We still may do some additional work after that time, but we wanted to let things settle down for a few weeks so that people could get some shooting in during the week.

We also wanted to give our steadfast volunteers (especially John Bumen and Cliff Burlew) a rest, as they've been working really hard lately to help make the club a better place for future generations.

Thanks to everybody for bearing with us during the continued improvement of the club. If you have any specific questions about the work, please attend a Board meeting (see the IndyRange.com calendar for dates), as I don't check back here (PM's or threads) very often.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shooters,

FYI, we are planning some more dirt work starting again tomorrow (Thursday 11/1). Sorry for the short notice, but this is as much notice as we're receiving too. I updated the club calendar, and I'm sure it will be in flux over the next week depending on the weather.

Our goal is to get this all finished up so that we can just enjoy the range over the winter. If you know any folks that aren't computer savvy, I'd appreciate it if you pass the info along to them so they aren't surprised when they show up at the range only to find it is temporarily closed.

If you have any questions about the project, please show up to a Board Meeting, as I don't check my PM's or this thread very often.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

Top Bottom