• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just like it says, What do you guys think is the best 10 rnd 1911 mags for the money?

Wilson Combat was my natural choice but I read some reviews saying they have weak springs and cause feeding issues.

Chip McCormick 10rnd mags also has pretty mixed reviews.

What say you INGO?

Wilson Combat Mag Base Pad 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP 10-Round

Chip McCormick Power Mag Mag Base Pad 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP

Mec-Gar Mag 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP 10-Round Steel Blue

Springfield Armory Mag 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP 10-Round SS

These are the ones Ive been looking at. ^^^

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've used Wilson, CMC PowerMag, and Mec-Gar 10rd 1911 magazines.

The biggest factor as to whether or not any of them work is whether or not the gun itself functions well. Some guns seems to work great with 7 and 8 round mags (which is what they're designed to do), but don't work so well with 10rd mags regardless of the brand. If the gun functions well, you wil get reliable feeding from any of the three you mentioned.

If you think you might reload with the slide locked open frequently, I would avoid the Mec-Gar. The tab intended to prevent overinsertion is inadequate if you reload vigorously and it's not uncommon to overinsert a Mec-Gar. That results in an actual jam (not a malfunction) that requires tools to fix in many cases. This isn't a problem if you reload with the slide forward or you are careful when you reload with the slide locked open.

The Wilsons may or may not have this problem. The tab on them is far stronger, but I've seen them fail. You also may have a tolerance stacking issue where the frame of your gun is a littl short and the tab on the mag body is a little too low and then you'll have overinsertion problems when reloading at slide lock.

The CMC PowerMags don't have that problem because the plastic "boot" keeps the mag from being overinserted. If you have an extended mag well, you may need to modify the boots on your backs or open the mag well in order to accommodate them so the mags seat fully. This is more of a potential problem with the older mags and less so with the current version.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Like Rockhopper I am interested in what everyone offers for advice. Having just purchased my 1st 1911, I have zero experience with the 10rd mags. Kind of like the 8 rd mag for my 1911. It keeps me from going through the 45 ammo too quickly.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The biggest factor as to whether or not any of them work is whether or not the gun itself functions well.

If you think you might reload with the slide locked open frequently, I would avoid the Mec-Gar. The tab intended to prevent overinsertion is inadequate

The Wilsons may or may not have this problem. The tab on them is far stronger, but I've seen them fail.

The CMC PowerMags don't have that problem because the plastic "boot" keeps the mag from being overinserted.

If you have an extended mag well, you may need to modify the boots on your backs or open the mag well in order to accommodate them so the mags seat fully. This is more of a potential problem with the older mags and less so with the current version.

Thanks for the info! I was totally unaware of overinsertion issues. That makes me think the CMC might be the best way to go.

My Springfield is just pretty much a bone stock Loaded model. No magwell, and I dont plan on adding one. I just dont care for them. Its been running strong for just a little over 1k rnds now, so I dont anticipate any problems from the gun but thats not to say it will like 10 rnd mags.

It seems alot of the reviewers on Midway's site have said the biggest problem they have had on the CMC Power mags is the springs fading and getting weak quickly.

Is that more common on 10rnd mags?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've used Wilson, CMC PowerMag, and Mec-Gar 10rd 1911 magazines.

The biggest factor as to whether or not any of them work is whether or not the gun itself functions well. Some guns seems to work great with 7 and 8 round mags (which is what they're designed to do), but don't work so well with 10rd mags regardless of the brand. If the gun functions well, you wil get reliable feeding from any of the three you mentioned.

If you think you might reload with the slide locked open frequently, I would avoid the Mec-Gar. The tab intended to prevent overinsertion is inadequate if you reload vigorously and it's not uncommon to overinsert a Mec-Gar. That results in an actual jam (not a malfunction) that requires tools to fix in many cases. This isn't a problem if you reload with the slide forward or you are careful when you reload with the slide locked open.

The Wilsons may or may not have this problem. The tab on them is far stronger, but I've seen them fail. You also may have a tolerance stacking issue where the frame of your gun is a littl short and the tab on the mag body is a little too low and then you'll have overinsertion problems when reloading at slide lock.

The CMC PowerMags don't have that problem because the plastic "boot" keeps the mag from being overinserted. If you have an extended mag well, you may need to modify the boots on your backs or open the mag well in order to accommodate them so the mags seat fully. This is more of a potential problem with the older mags and less so with the current version.

CMC power Mags for us. I have had to trim the boots to fit the well on a couple of the 1911's. Have never experienced a mag related issue with CMC.
    Have a few Wilsons as well and no issues but preffer the CMC for the insertion boot. The boot also keeps the mag solid in the gun. The Wilson will move around a bit.

Top Bottom