• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I have a Springfield 1911 Loaded SS. Just bought an Ed Brown Magwell to put on it. Looking for some good, reliable 8-round magazines for it. Narrowed it down to Wilson Combat 47D or ETM ~or~ Tripp Research 8R-45-RG. Anyone have any experience or advice with these? They certainly aren't cheap. But I learned long ago that there is often great wisdom in the old saying "you get what you pay for".

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Wilsons, Chips, Nighthawk, Cobra are all good. If you want the best and cost isn't an issue, then I would get Wilsons or Cobras. If you want to save a little money, then I would go with Chip McCormicks.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Tripp, hands down. Why? The hybrid follower will hold up better and overall build quality is a bit nicer.

The Wilson ETM is on the left, Tripp on the right. Note how the weld/seam is invisible on the Tripp. Don't get me wrong, the Wilson ETMs are GREAT, but the Tripps are the best thing out there.

The 47Ds are OK. They use a polymer follower, and springs are known to be a weak point. They have a shorter mag column as compared to the ETM/Tripp that makes them a bit harder to seat when doing a speed reload.

Chip McCormicks are good for the money. The follower is annoying though. It will occasionally get pushed forward into the feed ramp on the last round, causing the mag not to drop free. Even the PowerMag+, which is supposed to fix that problem, will do it.

IMG_0231_zpsf7e4b05c.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm running Ed Brown and CMs in my 1911s. I like the EB build quality and fit on MOST (not all) my 11s.
    I think the biggest thing I notice in mags is the feel of the round going into the chamber. My Kimbers run like hot butter with the EBs. I can't even feel them sliding on the ramp. Just one motion and they're seated. I can't say that about all mags. My Springfield Champion LW Loaded likes the Wilson best. It runs the smoothest. I don't have any newer Wilson mags just the old SS ones from years ago. They're still very solid.
    I say run what runs the smoothest in your gun. I can tell a big difference and bet you will when you find what yours likes best.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I was looking online and noticed that Wilson Combat has the 47D and ETM (500) magazines on sale if you buy direct from them. The 47D's are $26.36 and the 500's are $27.96. I must admit that it is a good deal for the Wilsons. Not sure which way to go yet.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Tripp Research Cobra magz and Chip McCormick power magz have fed thousands of trouble free rounds for me. The hybrid follower on Cobra magz are great if you shoot a lot. I like those best due to inconsistent slide lock activation with other magz with the plastic follower. They tend to start going loopy around 3500-4000 rounds.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Wilson ETM and Ed Brown 8-packs are true 8 round mags. Not a re-design of a 7 round magazine which has been reconfigured for 8 round capacity. There may be others on the market but those are the 2 I use and have never had any problems.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Any trouble with the Wilson 500 or Tripp Research Cobra fitting the SA Loaded with a Magwell? I have narrowed it down to either the Wilson 500 or Tripp Cobra. My brother has a TRP and bought a Wilson 47D to try out. We have noticed that the 47D seems to "hang up" a bit when inserted halfway into the gun. This doesn't happen with the factory mags. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    the guy I take classes with recommends Wilson ETM's. I have had good luck with them. I have also had good luck with CMC powermags.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If I can get the McCormick mags without bumpers for $11.99 a mag would they be decent for training mags?

The shooting star series?

Good, for the money. They may or may not drop free when empty, and if you have an aluminum frame 1911, the followers may or may not ding/chew up your feed ramp. Thye may or may not be tough to seat (relative to a Tripp or ETM) on a closed slide.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The shooting star series?

Good, for the money. They may or may not drop free when empty, and if you have an aluminum frame 1911, the followers may or may not ding/chew up your feed ramp. Thye may or may not be tough to seat (relative to a Tripp or ETM) on a closed slide.
    Guess not.
    1911-gov-t-45acp-8rd-sts-mag-classic-flat-chip-mccormick-4.gif

[h=1]1911 Gov't 45acp 8rd STS Mag Classic Flat Chip McCormick LIMIT 10[/h]

Top Bottom