• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I have a rimfire suppressor and love it and wanted to go up the ladder and suppress a nice Remington XR-100 rifle in .223. I'm looking for a thread on lightweight (around 16 oz) unit that is quiet. I would appreciate hearing from those who have shot 223 cans and what your opinion is. Thanks in advance. :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There were a couple at NFA Day this year. I was surprised at how loud they were. I still felt like I needed plugs. They definitely bring the decibel level down, but I have a hard time seeing the utility of them. I <heart> my .22 can, though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thread-on, lightweight, quiet and relatively inexpensive?

Gemtech M402 "Piranha"

The M402 is our most compact suppressor available for the Colt Commando and other short barreled carbines. It is equally at home on longer SPR-type and precision AR15/M16 rifles as it has been independently applauded for it’s accuracy-improving characteristics.

The M402 is built from purpose-chosen steel alloys and protected from corrosion with a high-temperature resistant matte black finish. Gemtech’s double-wall welded construction makes it tough for semiauto and limited full-auto fire. The suppressor is thread mounted in place of the flash hider. It adds only a little over four inches to the overall length of the weapon and is available in 1/2-28 threads to match most common 5.56mm weapons.

Battle tested tough from Alaska to Afghanistan, sound, flash, and visual signature are reduced greatly with the use of this diminutive but durable suppressor. Affordable enough for widespread use, but not skimping on quality the M402 is the perfect answer to add OSHA-safe hearing protection to a patrol carbine or rifle. It is rated for limited fully automatic fire.

Physical Specifications:
    Caliber 5.56 mm (.223)
    O.A. Length 6.3 inches
    Diameter 1.37 inches
    Weight 16 ounces (450 gm)
    Materials Corrosion resistant stainless steels
    Finish Matte Black Oxide
    Threads 1/2x28 (2A)
    List Price $525.00

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    You saw this thread, right?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/53770-the_chart_for_cans.html

The 223 can is going to be gentle enough to take a shot without ear protection, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.. It is that loud. Huge reduction in sound, but not all that quiet.

Subsonics through the 556 can is completely quiet, but you are simply making a hi powered 22 out of your rifle, and you probably need to be a reloader to make the right load.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    .223/5.56 cans are not really designed to be hearing safe. They are produced to reduce the concussion and flash inside buildings and confined spaces and to disguise the location of the fired shot during sniper applications.

Unless you shoot subsonics, you will not find a true hearing safe centerfire can. What one considers hearing safe (other than .22 LR cans) is more than likely damaging to the hearing.

bm9mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have an AWCthey come out of arizona and have been very happy with it. I have tried sudsonic 223 though and did not have good results.

Top Bottom