• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am not 100 percent sure. I can check and get back with you... the short answer is if badger makes bottom metal for a savage then yes i can put it in for you. However i do not know if that part even exists.... need me to check? the bottom metal normally runs from 150-250 depending on how much machining is needed to make it.

punker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    north west side indianapolis
    my best 308

this is my best 308 that i have rem 700 police with h-s bottom metal, trs-1 scope
    picture.php

Zummy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    I love my HK 91 and Remington 700 VLS. Both are tack drivers. HK's can be expensive though. Any Savage or Remington heavy barrel should should excellent.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The new X mark from what i read on other forums has been causing people some user adjustment problems with the set screws not really working as they should... mind you that they are probably trying to set them below 3.5 pounds which i think is the lowest that remington recomends. many are going back to the old style trigger and adjusting them down.

This is probably more of a "owner who did not know what they were doing accidently/mistakenly turned the sear adjustment screw by mistake" user adjustment problem than that the set screws not really working as they should.

Alot of guys buy their first rifle & immediately start taking it apart & tinkering with it without knowing what they are doing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Savage, Remington, Winchester, Weatherby... It is really hard to make a bad choice out of any of these names for an entry level bolt gun. All should be able to out perform most shooters with their accuracy. It basically comes down to which feels "right" to you. Try them out for feel at the shops.

Stepping into semi's gets expensive quickly.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This is probably more of a "owner who did not know what they were doing accidently/mistakenly turned the sear adjustment screw by mistake" user adjustment problem than that the set screws not really working as they should.

Alot of guys buy their first rifle & immediately start taking it apart & tinkering with it without knowing what they are doing.

I do not have any first hand experience with the new xmark triggers other than talking to people who have had them. You very well could be right on the sear adjustment screw, but the people who i know who have messed with them are pretty competant people... some seem to have problems and others love them... guess it comes down to preferance. I do know though that the accutrigger is one of the best user friendly triggers on the market and can only be obtained by purchasing a savage.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the advice guys...im still on the fence between Remington and Savage, i held the Remington 700 and really liked it, but i wont make my decision until i can atleast hold the savage and hopefully shoot it. But keep the persuasion coming!

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the advice guys...im still on the fence between Remington and Savage, i held the Remington 700 and really liked it, but i wont make my decision until i can atleast hold the savage and hopefully shoot it. But keep the persuasion coming!

If you already owned both rifles (each wearing the same glass mounted exactly the same way) & you were in a 500 yard shooting match, in which if you win the match you win a million dollars.

Which ever of the two rifles would you would want to use in the million dollar match is the rifle that you should buy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you already owned both rifles (each wearing the same glass mounted exactly the same way) & you were in a 500 yard shooting match, in which if you win the match you win a million dollars.

Which ever of the two rifles would you would want to use in the million dollar match is the rifle that you should buy.

+1
    I agree.... Which ever one gives you the most confidence.... and which ever one you THINK you will shoot better you WILL shoot better.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    The thing to remember, if you want accuracy don't put no $59.95 scope on your rifle
    I have almost 200 dollars more in my scope than I do in my rifle.
    I have confirmed kills with a savage model 12 in .223 at 650+ yards.
    At 100 yards I have a jagged hole in the paper where I'm shooting, it's sub MOA accuracy.
    I'll put my Savage up against any of my buddies 40X or 700 custom built $5000.00 guns for prarie doggin any day of the week and have lots left over for ammo

Farmritch

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    Remington 700 SPS Varmint. Has a heavy barrel and X-mark trigger. I just ordered one at Dicks for $500. Add good glass and replace the stock when funds are available. My goal is to build it like the M24 that I used in the Army (as funds permit). The gun is great out of the box though.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Again...

I see this thread more than the Glock vs. 1911 one... First off for precison rifles check out SNIPER CENTRAL. Next, examine your use for the weapon. I have owned and shot many, many different models of both. On the shelf they stack up about the same. I will go over the finer points of both, then proceed to tear each apart to confuse you even more..

Rem 700;
    Besides the Mil-Spec 5R and the M24. All the production rifles use barrels made on the same tooling. So the barrel from one model to the other is closely if not the same. The biggest factors that affect accuracy are; 1. Caliber, 2. Barrel Twist, 3. Stock, 4, Trigger. Any of the mid-range models are excellent shooters, partly in fact to the usually H-S Precision Stock (full alum bedding blocks) that float the barrels. The most accurate rifles are usually built on a Rem 700 action. They've been around and used for so long that finding parts to upgrade are every where. Essentially they are awesome investment pieces. Buy a SPS Varmint, and you can take that rifle any where your wallet wants to take you. From Stocks, Barrels, Triggers, etc... If you bought one.. Shoot it enjoy it then as time and money permit.. Upgrade the stock and so on... When the Army and Marine Corps. shoot a Savage I'll know they are better, till then, nothing can be taken farther or tighter. (Besides a select few action (rem, win, or mauser) fitted to the propper barrel and trued)

Case in point, my latest Rem 700 build. (just below 900.00 so far, the Leupold is going to break the bank though)

Savage;
    Out of the box, nothing shoots finer for the money. The Accu-Trigger is a nice trigger and easily user adjustable, but in no way compares to a Jewel or Rifle Basix. Savage's "floating bolt face" ensures a near perfect bolt to lugs lock up, and really can't get much tighter and aids in accuracy.

Both;
    The entry level Remington's and Savages have garbage stocks. Unless it is at least pillar bedded and doesn't flex... Can it as soon as possible and invest in a bedded stock.

The most important thing in picking a rifle!!!!!!

LEARN BALLISTICS!!! I know so many shooters who just buy a rifle and complain that they aren't accurate.. A 5 mph cross wind can turn the best 100m shooter into a complete failure at 400m. They are precision tools and the learning curve is huge. Knowing how your rifle performs in varying conditions is key..

Rule of thumb for optics... They should cost about the same as the rifle. I am huge on this.. Nikon and Leica make camera lenses and are the best at it in the world. They know glass.. Leupold knows glass equally well

Suit your ammo to the rifle.. Bullets that are heavier prefer a faster twist. Also the shorter the barrel the faster the twist you'll need. Read about other peoples experience, except those that just sum it up in one sentence.

"I got a Savage FP-10 and it's the best" or "My 700 is a real shooter"

Holy cow, that leaves so many variables out there. Sniper central reviews all of these and breaks down them down in detail...

I have shot both in so many different models and ammo it is stupid.. A .308 that is sub-moa with a 168gr HP-BT may just suck with a 110gr V-Max. So finding a good range of loads is a first step... Then see what is working for others with that load and rifle..

As for my own suggestions.... .223 or .308; Remington, you can get a great accurate base rifle vaporize mammals all day and pretty much the sky is the limit to modifying it... 20-22" w/ 1/9" twist or 24-26" w/ 1/12" for the best range of bullet loads..

All other Calibers... Savage 110.. Just get a bedded stock and watch the groundhogs disappear... Parts are out there, but from the factory is about as good as they get..

Enjoy and get to shooting!

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually I think if you took a poll of rifle builders/ shooters you may find that many prefer to the Savage actions over that of the Remington...

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Not to say that rifle to rifle doesn't make a difference, however; Very few marksmen (including myself) have the ability to out perform the set-up. Most inconsistancies are due to the shooter not the package. Then you have to decide on upgrades and most importantly you optics (not trying to thread jack). It is crazy to debate yourself over a 1K setup and drop a $100 (or $80 as I read earlier) optic on it.

Both are good rifles. You will not find any more accessories for the remmy than the savage, however you will find many more savage smiths them remmy's!

Two great resources to get you info or builds

Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles

INDYGUNWORKS
    317-650-9989
    fornick64-1.jpg

fornick73.jpg

fornick70.jpg

GOOD LUCK WITH YOU HP JOURNEY!

-MEDIC

Top Bottom