• ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    heh
    I would, but I believe I deleted the e-mail with the photos already.
    The damage was impressive, no doubt.
    Lucky for you that you still have all your fingers and both eyes.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It all blew out to the right and up.. Yes I was lucky, and so was one of my BIL's that was standing on my right..
    I sent you a email or two..

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    2400 exels in cold weather, gets good accuracy, and can be loaded hot to mild but is dirty. H110 loads are as accurate as 2400 and is cleaner but must be loaded hot. Lil-Gun gives 100 fps increases over the other 2 in rifles but will flame cut a revolver. I stick with 2400 for the versatility but cleaning is a chore.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Rule of thumb,, slower burning powder in most cases does not do well when loaded undercharged.. In a handgun the pressures can easily climb into rifle pressures and with that handguns tend to come apart..
    Personal knowledge along with a Dillon 450 and its manual powder measure loading a compressed load of 2400 ( one round had a short charge ) and a 240 grain cast bullet ( Keith Load ) and I destroyed a Super Blackhawk..
    If someone wants to PM me a email address and I will send pics of said pistol and you can post them. I can't with my phone..

How much undercharged do you think it was? Take it was 44 mag being an Elmer Keith load.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    How much undercharged do you think it was? Take it was 44 mag being an Elmer Keith load.

Yes 44 Mag, 240 grain cast Keith bullet with a compressed load of 2400.

I truly have no idea, the cast bullet was hauling ass when it left the barrel.
    It was the first shot of the day, it had severe leading for about half the barrel.
    I loaded the rounds with a early Dillon 450 machine.. These machines had a manual powder measure that you had to push the knob all the way in.
    Most likely I did not push the knob in all the way to complete the powder drop.
    What most likely happened was a short charge to begin with and when fired the primer flame traveled over the powder and primer pressure pushed the bullet into the fireing cone.
    And by then the flame hit the powder and being a short charge and now with more room the powder burned and the pressures went up well past what this revolver could handle. Most likely to high power rifle pressures.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    WOW, I get it now. The damage to cylinder and top strap is incredible and scary. Everybody there was lucky that day.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I agree with you about the h110 and the fireball. That is why I shoot imr 4227 in
    the 41 & 44. Much better temperament with blast, flash and recoil but does give up some velocity. Small price to pay for me.

Top Bottom