• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I am not recoil averse typically. I've never shot a caliber I didn't like. It really comes to pros and cons with me. I like .45, I like hot .357 mag loads. It's really just capacity, size, quality of the platform, etc that's the concern for .357 sig for me.

How accurate do you shoot these calibers under stress?

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just in case anyone was interested:

[video=youtube;ughIFOrIP_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughIFOrIP_w[/video]

Underwood pushed their 125gr Sig loading with a gold dot to 1500 fps (600+ ft/lbs of energy) from a 4" barrel. Looks like a pretty wicked loading.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I carry a Sig P229 .357 Sig.
    I also have a like new police trade-in S&W M&P 40 that I put a S&W OEM .357 Sig barrel in.
    I like it too, it has a 15 round magazine, shoots pretty good and fits my hand.
    I also have Glock 32 (same size as Glock 23) and 33 (same size as Glock 27).
    I use Underwood ammo in them.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hear you. And honestly, it's more reassuring if I heard that Air Marshals and US Secret Service carried something like Underwood in their .357 platforms. But I actually found out by talking to asking Gary Byrne (former USSS\Air Marshals) that at least the Air Marshals are using 125 grain Spear jacketed hollow points that run 1350 fps.

That probably says something. I'm not sure what, but I'd like to assume those folks tested the bejesus out of their chosen ammo before issuing it. I'd be more likely to copy-cat them then base anything off youtube tests or the like.

You could always pack a .44 magnum and not worry about it. I've got a pretty decent IWB high ride holster for a 6" N-frame...but split times with full house 300gr is measured with a sundial...

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    How accurate do you shoot these calibers under stress?

I shot my first IDPA in the Revolver division using .357 magnum rounds when everyone else was uses light .38s. I got shots on target in decent times for a newbie. I got a fair bit of 0s, and I got hits at 20 yards in weird positions. I think I had a miss in the last stage when I got a little excited. :p That's about the extent of the stress. Best I can come up with without having lead slung at me.

Last edited:

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    That probably says something. I'm not sure what, but I'd like to assume those folks tested the bejesus out of their chosen ammo before issuing it. I'd be more likely to copy-cat them then base anything off youtube tests or the like.

You could always pack a .44 magnum and not worry about it. I've got a pretty decent IWB high ride holster for a 6" N-frame...but split times with full house 300gr is measured with a sundial...

Well Underwood is pretty respected. But you're right, those agencies do a lot of testing. I enjoy revolvers but I get capacity anxiety. It's probably treatable with some therapy and a few pills.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have several, most of them are multiple caliber guns due to conversion BBl's. My favorite for concealment is the Glock 32. The Legion 229 is the coolest, but significantly larger than the 32 in the areas that matter for concealment.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    The only other option I am considering is the Glock 31/32. But for whatever reason, I have a Glock allergy. Maybe it's because they're ugly.
    You are buying a tool, not an objet d'art. If it was on your neck like a necklace, in your garage like a car, or on your wall like a painting, then "ugly" vs. not ugly might matter. But, it's going to be on your waist as a weapon. How it looks doesn't matter nearly as much as how it performs and how reliable it is.

Top Bottom