Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Para Companion LDA

DSC_0026.jpg

The best of both worlds. No need to use the thumb safety, because it's a light double-action trigger. This is my preferred method of carry, but if that makes you nervous, the thumb safety is there. It tucks away very nicely and is light enough to comfortably carry all day.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Kahr PM45. Regret selling

Glock 36sf Regret selling slightly less than the Kahr because I don't like Glock triggers and the grip angle doesn't work for me.

1911's... I love em. Or rather, love to look at, fondle and shoot them. Just don't like carrying. I don't trust myself to be able to flip safety off upon draw if the need should arise. Nor do I have the facilities to train enough to do the same.

The only 45 I carry now is my Beretta PX4 fullsize. But if you're looking for CCW, that aint it, though it's not bad. I keep eyeballing others but the majority are of the 1911 flavor. If someone made an identically-framed single stack DA/SA without external safety, I'd be on it.

Save for weight, 1911 is an easy platform to conceal.

My first vote goes to the Kahr PM45.

Plastic guns come and go with little notice.... but never let a 1911 go.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    OP must be reading my mind, because I've been researching compact .45 sidearms for about two months now. I've been looking at the Glocks and pretty much every manufacture that makes a compact 1911. The problem I have is that I have huge hands. I just don't feel right holding a compact sidearm in my hand, even w/ a pinkie extension on the mags. During my research I've been able to handle multiple pistols, and have come to the conclusion that a compact 1911 is best for me, and will be making a purchase in the very near future:rockwoot:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    OP must be reading my mind, because I've been researching compact .45 sidearms for about two months now. I've been looking at the Glocks and pretty much every manufacture that makes a compact 1911. The problem I have is that I have huge hands. I just don't feel right holding a compact sidearm in my hand, even w/ a pinkie extension on the mags. During my research I've been able to handle multiple pistols, and have come to the conclusion that a compact 1911 is best for me, and will be making a purchase in the very near future:rockwoot:

Large hands here, too. Try something with a full frame/grip and a commander ("pro" in kimber-speak) slide, maybe a bobbed tail. The kimber super carry pro, for example. The nighthawk talon II bobtail (and if you choose lightweight, it's only about 27 oz.), if you have a little more spending cash. The Ed brown sf or kobra carry, in the middle. Unless you're some kind of freak with huge hands and a tiny body like a circus sideshow star, something like that might work for you.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    Large hands here, too. Try something with a full frame/grip and a commander ("pro" in kimber-speak) slide, maybe a bobbed tail. The kimber super carry pro, for example. The nighthawk talon II bobtail (and if you choose lightweight, it's only about 27 oz.), if you have a little more spending cash. The Ed brown sf or kobra carry, in the middle. Unless you're some kind of freak with huge hands and a tiny body like a circus sideshow star, something like that might work for you.

I really like the Kimber compacts! No circus freak here, just a 6'6" 300 lbs guy w/ catcher mitts for hands, lol!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I really like the Kimber compacts! No circus freak here, just a 6'6" 300 lbs guy w/ catcher mitts for hands, lol!
    my husband has huge hands too, but he's not quite as big. More like 6'3" 230 lbs. He recently got the Kimber Ultra CDP II and loves it. Big guys can hide bigger guns. :D His gun on him probably looks like a little derringer would look on me! He wants me to get the Springfield Micro .45, and i may...but need to get finances in a little better shape first!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My carry gun is a Colt WC Commander.

Lightweight, 9 shots of .45 acp, small package.

I dont need anything more.

brandon911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I usually carry my G30 SF. My favorite carry method is sob. I know there are a lot people that don't like that option but it works for me. I recently bought a Springfield Operator 1911 full size. I want the springfield micro .45 for edc. I absolutely love the 1911!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    nad, focus on the holster and the belt. The 1911 platform is flat and can be held close to the body provided you have a proper rig. However, with a quality rig you can carry most pistols without problems.

Look for a quality holster AND belt. Too many goofuses out there carrying guns in belts from the GAP and a sausage sack for a holster.

I like Milt Sparks. There are many quality makers out there now.

Remember it IS a life style change. You have to dress around the weapon, NOT dress the weapon around you and your Mickey Mouse shorts and flip flops.:D

It's not the pistol, it's the carry platform.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Best 45 for CCW Thanks for info

Thanks to all who weighed in on this one. No startling revelations but most people confirmed/agreed with what I thought. You never know someone might have whipped out a wildcard that I/we had overlooked.
    I'm hopefully going to test shoot a couple of guns this weekend and make my final draft pick. :yesway:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Kirk,
    Thanks for the info. I will be using this info when making my final selection for accesories (belt/holster etc)

huskymt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Nevada
    My vote is for the S&W M&P .45 compact! Not quite as tall as a Glock 19 so it conceals better and feels better in the hand. I have shot one and they are very smooth and soft in recoil, but good luck finding most any M&P. For some reason S&W is falling behind on production…..

Top Bottom