• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    It may not be cheap. And sure, for many, it defeats the purpose of owning a Mosin (i.e. good, cheap fun). But, in my experience, Sellier & Bellot 174gr HPBT Match is the best production ammo I have shot from my M44 Sporter.

The 180gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ is also a great performing 7.62x54R cartridge.

Don't give into the Winchester white box ammo. It never gave me any reliability. I would shoot 174gr Wolf Match over the Winchester stuff any day. Internet-land told me Winchester uses .308 bullets instead of .311...

I say try all different types of ammo, and see what shoots best through your rifle. For me, it's S&B 174gr HPBT Match. :twocents:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My experience with 7.62X54R in my Mosin has shown that the surplus "coated" steel ammo is more likely to cause a bolt to stick closed. Sometimes that stuff is even sticky when you handle it!
    That having been said, I believe that the old coated stuff is rapidly being sold (and shot up) so now, I see that many on line vendors are selling later production "copper washed" steel (I think it is sometimes referred to as bimetal case also) surplus ammo. This stuff doesn't make the bolt on my Mosin stick closed, and is still cheap, cheap shooting.
    The popular cleaning/polishing techniques for the bolt, chamber, and lugs help even more on chambering a round.
    Shop around. Sometimes you don't have to buy a full 440 round "Spam Can", since some retailers break the cans down and sell in 5 round packages. This allows you to buy just enough to test before comitting to a full can or two. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with some less expensive surplus ammo that your Mosin likes. Have fun!

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    My experience with 7.62X54R in my Mosin has shown that the surplus "coated" steel ammo is more likely to cause a bolt to stick closed. Sometimes that stuff is even sticky when you handle it!
    That having been said, I believe that the old coated stuff is rapidly being sold (and shot up) so now, I see that many on line vendors are selling later production "copper washed" steel (I think it is sometimes referred to as bimetal case also) surplus ammo. This stuff doesn't make the bolt on my Mosin stick closed, and is still cheap, cheap shooting.
    The popular cleaning/polishing techniques for the bolt, chamber, and lugs help even more on chambering a round.
    Shop around. Sometimes you don't have to buy a full 440 round "Spam Can", since some retailers break the cans down and sell in 5 round packages. This allows you to buy just enough to test before comitting to a full can or two. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with some less expensive surplus ammo that your Mosin likes. Have fun!
    Thanks I found some polish ammo on chargers I'm gonna check out.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I shoot that surplus ammo like it's going out of style on my Finn M39 and my M44, and the 91/59 I used to have. That said, I had a 91/30 that liked to get sticky with the same ammo.

Long story short... I blame the tolerances and build of the rifle more than I blame the ammo...

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    It may not be cheap. And sure, for many, it defeats the purpose of owning a Mosin (i.e. good, cheap fun). But, in my experience, Sellier & Bellot 174gr HPBT Match is the best production ammo I have shot from my M44 Sporter.

The 180gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ is also a great performing 7.62x54R cartridge.

Don't give into the Winchester white box ammo. It never gave me any reliability. I would shoot 174gr Wolf Match over the Winchester stuff any day. Internet-land told me Winchester uses .308 bullets instead of .311...

I say try all different types of ammo, and see what shoots best through your rifle. For me, it's S&B 174gr HPBT Match. :twocents:
    Privi makes the wolf gold line and S&B makes the winchester metric.

Commercial 7.62x54r

Opinions of Winchester Metric 7.62x54R Soft Point

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    why not just get some heavy ball surplus ammo. Most heavy ball is lead core, then some is steel jacketed/brass coated bullets, and some is brass jacketed.

MOST places that dont want "magnetic" bullets are not worried about a steel jacket, but a steel core.

Top Bottom