• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Well now that .40 ammo is coming back what do you all recommend as a solid round to plinker with? I have several boxes of Winchester USA, Fiocchi (Standard), and Blazer Brass. I have no clue on handgun ammo as far as what is good or bad. I have heard bad information on Wolf (which I have several boxes of .223), but other than that I am lost.

Same goes with 9MM. I have a few boxes or Remington UMC, and a couple boxes of Wolf. Right now these are about the only two brands I can find in the area. I havea buddy that can reload both so eventually I will go that route, but I still like to have several rounds stocked up.

What do you all recommend?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    none of the factory produced .40 S&W i've shot have been as accurate as my handloads. Speer, Remington, Winchester, Blazer, UMC, etc. They've all functioned properly, and provided a lot of fun, but the handloads are by far the most accurate in my guns.
    i'm currently pricing a swaging die to turn spent 9mm casings into .40 bullets with a lead slug insert.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    for range use i really like winchester white box, but have used several others if cheaper. all the .40 i use gets fed to glocks and well, so far i havent found anything they wont eat. :D i also like the blazer too.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Wow, I can't believe you've had trouble getting .40. That's the one and only caliber that I've seen EVERYWHERE throughout the whole shortage. By everywhere, I mean literally that, everywhere in the USA. Heck, I've even made my last few firearm purchases .40 for that exact reason.

That being said, I haven't had any problems with any of it. Obviously, the blazer brass and federal are a bit dirty, WWB is WWB regardless of caliber....

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Walmart has the cheapest 40 so far (Federal -13.97 per 50) If you look around online you ll find better deals in bulk packs like the rem umc 250 packs from cabelas or gander mountain or checkout the precision cartridge website I usually buy a couple of federal packs whenever Im at a walmart that has them & its usually the one caliber they keep alot of.You should at least buy a box first & make sure that it functions properly in your firearm first before buying a large amount though.

Top Bottom