• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    A .38/.357/9mm model I stumbled upon today. Realize by virtue of being a Taurus revolver there will be many detractors here, just the same when this current shortage is over I'd like to one see in person.

[video=youtube;3OeKOFMvtsQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OeKOFMvtsQ&t=4s[/video]

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Interesting new Rock Island! .... MSRP is $599 on GalleryofGuns, but obviously it's out of stock.

Buds still show in stock but due to recent experience with them when ordering another pistol they showed as in stock only to receive email telling me to call to cancel order for something they apparently did not have....I get it. But don't think I should be required to wait on the phone for 15 minutes, they could have a better system in place for dealing with refunding monie$ due to their original errors. Think I'll just wait for the air to clear before pursuing either of the two revolvers I've posted here.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    That’s worth taking a look at. I have had several Taurus revolvers and am pretty fond of the 7” tracker I still have. It’s not a smith for sure but I like the flexibility in ammo.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For appendix carry I would vote Ruger LCR, but it is only 5 rounds. For 6 shot I would say an older speed six 2.75 inch, I have one in 357 and it's probably my favorite. For a 7 shot I am unaware of a smaller carry gun. The 986 is nice but not small or cheap, as mentioned above most .357 can be cut to use moon clips and 9mm while retaining the ability to use 38/357. The 686 plus cut for clip could still be cheaper than a 986

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    From what I have read. Be aware that 9 mm in lightweight revolvers is prone to bullet jump locking up the cylinder.

The bullets frequently jump crimp, but i've never heard of a 9mm jumping the half-inch it would have to travel to protrude! What it can frequently do is make velocities less consistent because cartridge over-all-length increases, so pressure drops.

If the bullet came all the way out of the case, you would get some really interesting results when you pulled the trigger!

I just measured, my 125gr bullets plus a 9mm case(combined overall length, not the loaded round) is still 0.2 inches shorter than the cylinder on my j-frame, so the bullet would have to completely pull out of the case to tie up the gun. That'd be pretty neat to see! Anything is possible, but I never thought 9mm created anywhere near that kind of recoil.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Was RO'ing a shooter at the IRC(International Revolver Championship) last year and he was a newer Revolver shooter. Was shooting American Eagle factory ammo he had a bullet jump enough to lock cylinder up by bullet protruding into barrel.
    On another stage he tried to reload and couldn't get moonclip to go in and he had a bullet stuck in the cylinder and couldn't get the loaded clip in.
    This is NOT a gun problem but a ammo problem.
    Seen thousands of stages shot with a 929 and no problems as they were using ammo with a proper crimp.

CCPLuvr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    Similar to the Korth revolver mentioned already. Have you looked at a 3" Manurhin MR73? You can get a 9mm cylinder for those, they are incredibly accurate with tolerances far exceeding domestic manurfacturers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    vmTz9XZ.jpg

a3iCgCk.jpg

2 days ago, I had a chance to purchase this bucket list 7 round gun (above 686).
    I was going to splurge & do an impulse buy just b/c I knew I'd never have another chance for this for the same fair price that it was being offered.
    Original owner bought it yrs ago, put in safe & never shot!

I'd bought 1 gun from the seller & tried to get another, but I was a few minutes late for the 2nd one, and then too late for this 686.

Revolvers are my 1st love: stainless with wood grips is just a super bonus!
    I presently have a Kimber 6s hammerless snubbie with the greatest smooth trigger for CC & just a EAA Windicator .357 (6 round snubbie) I picked up for half the price of the Kimber, for another house gun.
    Since I no longer pocket carry (with a DeSantis holster), but use the N8 Tactical Tuckable holster, being hammerless & a snubbie is not of primary concern any longer.
    I settled on the Kimber after trying out a dozen other snubbies at all price ranges (except that $1500 one that someone posted, ha!).
    It is the size of a Ruger LCR .357, but it has the coveted 6th round.

hchptCF.jpg
    eCRgAgD.jpg
    RupA8BF.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The LCR 357 is a great carry revolver. Perfect size, great shooter.

You are so right!
    Everything Ruger said about the good trigger & good recoil was true!
    I thought it was just sales talk until I bought one for about $325 & at that price I "needed" to buy it to try it.
    My LCR .357 had the sweetest trigger.
    I thought I had to save a few ounces & got the LCR .38 sp (pocket carrying at the time), but it didn't have as sweet as a trigger, & I was always sorry I'd done it.
    I realize now that for a CC, trigger & recoil aren't the priority for a tool in a panic situation.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    shooting American Eagle factory ammo he had a bullet jump enough to lock cylinder up by bullet protruding into barrel.
    Incredible! Sounds like a rough day at the range, but glad the loose bullets did end up anywhere worse at the wrong time! Like, just far enough into the barrel to let him send another one behind it!

Top Bottom