Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    The best available in the US are:

1. Chinese
    2. Bulgarian
    2. (tie) Russian
    3. A number of very competent parts kits assemblers.

Junk / Highly Questionable: Anything from Century Arms.

M2A2

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    Without adoubt 100% Veper K The smoothest well built ak EVER rpk receiver and heavy barrel.. chromed ofcourse.. Heavy and bad to the bone!:D

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I'm hearing Century Arms get bad mouthed a lot here. I think the biggest problem is people buy from them sight unseen, then complain when they don't get what they want. I have many AK-47's that are built by Century, and I'm still waiting for my first problem or issue to arise with any of them.

Now, with that said, I hand selected each and every single one of them. A lot of guys buy mail order, or on line and wind up getting a disaster. Think for a second how many items in your home you would trust someone who you don't even know, to pick out for you? For me there isn't a hell of a lot, let alone a gun.

Yes, I've seen Century builds with canted front sights, far too many handling marks, poor riveting, butchered mag cutouts, and several other issues that caused me to pass them over. But every single one I wound up selecting has run flawlessly, and looked great doing it. You have to do what you have to do to get a good weapon. There is nothing wrong with Century Arms AK-47's. Just do as you would with a new car or a wife, pick it out yourself! Bill T.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I'm hearing Century Arms get bad mouthed a lot here. I think the biggest problem is people buy from them sight unseen, then complain when they don't get what they want. I have many AK-47's that are built by Century, and I'm still waiting for my first problem or issue to arise with any of them.

Now, with that said, I hand selected each and every single one of them. A lot of guys buy mail order, or on line and wind up getting a disaster. Think for a second how many items in your home you would trust someone who you don't even know, to pick out for you? For me there isn't a hell of a lot, let alone a gun.

Yes, I've seen Century builds with canted front sights, far too many handling marks, poor riveting, butchered mag cutouts, and several other issues that caused me to pass them over. But every single one I wound up selecting has run flawlessly, and looked great doing it. You have to do what you have to do to get a good weapon. There is nothing wrong with Century Arms AK-47's. Just do as you would with a new car or a wife, pick it out yourself! Bill T.

I have a CETME that was imported by Century - I have no issues with it.

When I mention something about the Maadi's I feel it's true the MISR's are no where close to the quality as the AKM/ARM's, I have no qualms with Century per se.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I really want to believe the Chinese ones are nice, (yea, i know they normally are...) but I have a minty milled MAK90 that won't fire reliably out of anything but a ten rd Chinese mag. I haven't shot it in years probably, just no fun. So even some of the "good" ones aren't always perfect.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I really want to believe the Chinese ones are nice, (yea, i know they normally are...) but I have a minty milled MAK90 that won't fire reliably out of anything but a ten rd Chinese mag. I haven't shot it in years probably, just no fun. So even some of the "good" ones aren't always perfect.

Mind if I look at it some time? I'm not a gunsmith, I am just curious about it. It's very rare to see a Norinco AK that dosn't work right.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    To be fair I haven't messed with it much. I have built several since shooting it, but idk what to do with a milled rifle! I'll start a new thread tonight and post some pics. Not to say my mags are perfect, but I don't own any "known" bad mags either.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Arsenal is said to be the best AK out there.

On that note, I like my VZ 58 better, and they can be had for $350 from center fire systems.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd go for a polish milled receiver, and just work it over to your liking.

At least you have a really really solid base to build off of that way.

If you don't know how to "make" a gun work, then stick to something like an arsenal, or any top shelf. For me, I can buy something at 1/3rd their price and make it perform the same so it seems like a waste. Especially since we're talking about 10-15 minute mods.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I've got both a madddi and a mak-90, never a issue with either one of them, they both feed the steel or brass just great, and if you shop around are still priced right

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    Without adoubt 100% Veper K The smoothest well built ak EVER rpk receiver and heavy barrel.. chromed ofcourse.. Heavy and bad to the bone!:D

This is hands down the best AK that I have ever had in my hand !
    Vepr II as sold by Robinson armament is the best I have had. I have owned Romy,fired a Bulgarian milled that I convinced a friend to buy, several Saigas, I even own a Valmet that cost big $, but the vepr is my favorite bar none.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    Best AK ???

I have had 11 + different Aks over the years and the best I have owned are:
    AK 47>best to worst
    1.Hungarian sa85
    2.Mak 90
    3.Romanian "G" Built on a Ewbanks Receiver
    4.Century Yugo m70 ab2 (underfolder)
    5.Wasr 10/63 Century
    6.Wasr 10 Century

AK74's all are 5.45x39
    1.Bulgarian 74s Inrange Build with Russian triangle sidefolder
    2.Bulgarian 74s AK 105 copy with polymer sidefolder
    3.Bulgarian 74 standard 74 with US made blond wood
    4.Wasr 2 with Romy "dong" hand guards and East German side folder
    5.Romy Intrac mark2 home build on OOW receiver and total POS

I still have the 10/63 and all but the last 74(number 5 the POS) and must say I miss all of the 47's I have sold and will find their replacements and a few I have not had.

Look them over first, you can find straight site bases and gas blocks. Just inspect, buy, clean and Shoot til it hurts!

Top Bottom