• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Whats the newest "quality made" AK47 out there at the moment? Originally I was going to buy a new recent Arsenal made AK47 but it seems their new models are having quality issues and thats something I don't want to deal with for a $900 AK.

Basically I'm looking to spend $1000 at most and want something that looks cool so I can be elite and tacticool. This will be my first rifle ever purchased and I'm looking into getting into the sport. :rockwoot:

Also it has to be available for purchase but if I have to wait 2 months or longer for one to be made I prolly will buy something else.

:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::draw:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Whats the newest "quality made" AK47 out there at the moment? Originally I was going to buy a new recent Arsenal made AK47 but it seems their new models are having quality issues and thats something I don't want to deal with for a $900 AK.

Basically I'm looking to spend $1000 at most and want something that looks cool so I can be elite and tacticool. This will be my first rifle ever purchased and I'm looking into getting into the sport. :rockwoot:

Also it has to be available for purchase but if I have to wait 2 months or longer for one to be made I prolly will buy something else.

Dude you have the wrong idea here. Tacticool in an AK is $500 WASR that has been run so hot that the forend is on fire. Not a purty safe queen.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Basically I'm looking to spend $1000 at most and want something that looks cool so I can be elite and tacticool.

"elite and tacticool" :rolleyes:

Best quality 7.62x39 AKs out there at the moment are:
    Arsenal SLR-107
    Arsenal SLG-20
    Century Yugo M70AB1
    A kit build from a reputable gunsmith (InRange, Red Jacket, Henderson, AUSA, etc)

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I suggest getting into the sport with a 10/22 first.... can shoot in more places, just as much fun, learn fundamentals, and will not cost 50 cents per round to shoot.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington

Indygunworks gave you some great advice, based on what you put in you put in your post. The basic 10/22 can be had at any of your area gun stores or even Dick's Sporting Goods, and Gander Mountain and you could walk out with your rifle today. I'd suggest finding a good local store and get to know the owner.

Search google images and you'll find some very tacticool rifles that will leave you with enough left over for ammo so that you could be proficient in a short period of time.

The 22 is VERY underrated. Here are a coupe from DoubleTapper on Blogspot.

Last edited:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Yugo's are one of best AK's (I own one)
    bulgy rifles are said to be very high quallity. never handled one myself.
    WASR's are still cheap and fun to customize (I own one)
    Any milled AK would be sweet! (I want one)
    I prefer side folders to under folders. You can change stocks on a fixed stock to a folder. IMO Having the choice is priceless.

This shoots the same bullet but is much much more accurate, lighter and feels & handles better. plus its a milled reciever.
    VZ-58 Czechpoint USA - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions

This is a whole new beast. Makes an AK47 feel like junk. And AR's feel like that any way. And can be made very TACTI-COOL.

These are older pics. My current set up has changed.
    before
    bangbang018.jpg

after
    vz58033.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Modifications or not, it's definitely no Russian military AK.

The SLG-20 is as close to an actual Izhmash AK-103 as you can get. Sure, it's a Russian/Bulgarian/US hybrid, but the barreled action is made in the same plant, using the same technology and components as the real deal. There's been a lot of cross-pollination between the Saiga and AK lines in recent years, as far as design features and assembly methods.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Walt, you are nitpicking. The Saiga is as much an AK as any of the aforementioned rifles. Of the factory built semiautomatic AK types, the Saiga is my favorite alongside the maadi rifles. Although a small number of Arsenal/Saiga rifles have had some issues, the SGL-20 is one rifle that is well worth its asking price. You simply are not going to find another semiautomatic AK with that many Russian parts at that price point.

postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I suggest getting into the sport with a 10/22 first.... can shoot in more places, just as much fun, learn fundamentals, and will not cost 50 cents per round to shoot.

My father has a .22 rifle that I shot a couple times before when we went on camping trips in the wilderness of Michigan. But that was about 7 years ago.

I just want to go big but then again I think your right maybe I shouldn't for my first rifle. Then again I can't help myself I gotta get the AK :rockwoot:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    The Saiga is MORE of an AK- at least the receivers are made in Izhmash whereas most other AKs rebuilt here have receivers made in fuggin' TX!

Volunteer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indy Castleton
    VZ-58

This shoots the same bullet but is much much more accurate, lighter and feels & handles better. plus its a milled reciever.
    VZ-58 Czechpoint USA - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions

This is a whole new beast. Makes an AK47 feel like junk. And AR's feel like that any way. And can be made very TACTI-COOL.

These are older pics. My current set up has changed.

Space Turtle, where did you source all the add ons for your 58. I have a sporter VZ-58 single stack. I would like to put some optics on it and have not had much luck in finding suitable mounts etc.

Top Bottom