• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilhelb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    I would like to buy and auto loading 12 ga that would serve all of my needs. Needs ranging from sporting clays to 3.5" turkey loads. I keep seeing the Remington versamax advertised as the do it all gun. I'm just skeptical. I bought an 11-87 a few years ago that was supposed to shoot it all....but it doesn't cycle trap loads worth a crap. Curious if anyone has experience with the versamax, or has another recommendation for what I am wanting to do.
    Thanks

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    Rem 870, because the Mossberg 500's action rattles when you move. The 500 is still a good gun, just the 870 doesn't rattle as much as the 500 does.
    whoops, Autoloading. my bad

Disregard my post.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    If money isnt an issue then I would say the benelli super black eagle is what your looking for. I have the benelli m4 and it is unstoppable. You can feed it anything. The super black eagle is just as reliable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Weatherby SA08 12ga. semi that works just great for me. I'm not sure if it will take the 3 1/2" magnums though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run an 1100 Magnum. One can add a 2 3/4" bbl and run field loads fine. Heck, I've run low brass super handicap and sporting clays WW shells with my single port magnum bbl, and smoked many a dove.

Steel dove loads won't cycle with a mag bbl. I have not tried them in a 2 3/4" field bbl...............yet.

I hate steel.

For geese, one can drop 'em hard at 50 yards running 3" bismuth #2's. Pricey, but they work really well.

wilhelb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    I'm hearing some, "get what you pay for" in some of the replies. The 1187 was around 600, and the first time I broke it down I could tell it was a cheaper gun, has kind of made me gun shy of Remington, but I've read good reviews on the veterans.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I would like to buy and auto loading 12 ga that would serve all of my needs. Needs ranging from sporting clays to 3.5" turkey loads. I keep seeing the Remington versamax advertised as the do it all gun. I'm just skeptical. I bought an 11-87 a few years ago that was supposed to shoot it all....but it doesn't cycle trap loads worth a crap. Curious if anyone has experience with the versamax, or has another recommendation for what I am wanting to do.
    Thanks

A buddy of mine hunts goose, pheasant, rabbit, quail with his 12ga Remington Versamax. Says he loves it and it eats whatever he feeds it.:yesway:

Icejon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Id recommend a Benelli M1 super 90. If you can find a HK marked one these are preban so you don't have to worry about 992R. You can put a mag extension or pistol grip. If you are lucky you can find a collapsing stock.

The new M4 is imported only as a 5 shot gun, and if you modify it you have to change many of the parts to US made to satisfy 992R.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    For the money I'm going to check out a Mossberg 930 (or 935 if you need 3.5"). They sell a field/security combo that comes with a 18.5" and 28" barrel.

Top Bottom