Best all around gun in the event of emergency or catastrophy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ega

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    something in 9mm-40cal-223

Id say carry a weapon chambered in the same cal as the enemy. that way I always have available ammo and weapons im familiar with

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    The 870T was my first response. But the more I think of it, I may grab my Marlin Camp 45. I carry a 45, so I would already have that with me. My BOB has a Sig P220 in it with 6 mags and 200-300 rounds of .45 ammo. It also has a bunch of 10 and 15 round 1911 mags, which would work in my daily carry or the Camper. And 45 ammo would be one of the easier rounds to find.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    I would probley go with a M-4 style ar-15, has everything you listed, also MORE POWER!!!

1) highly versatile
    2) lightweight
    3) reliable
    4) able to carry huge amounts of ammo
    5) can still be used if need be for self-defense

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    .22lr hands down.

As for self defense, you can put 5 holes in a guy quick with a semi auto and it'll drop em quick.

You can kill squirrels, rabbits, rodents/varmints, deer, even a bear with enough shots ( I heard someone on here say 30 shots killed on?)

It's just very versatile and easy to buy lots and lots of ammo now to prepare for later.

willkirkman88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I'm sure this has been raised several times before and so my apologies for not delving into the archives. For me it would be a .22lr carbine.
    1) highly versatile
    2) lightweight
    3) reliable
    4) able to carry huge amounts of ammo
    5) can still be used if need be for self-defense

What's yours?
    i would personaly choose a single shot rifle (mine is an H&R 44mag) here is my thinking on the subject:
    1)less chance of somthing breaking like part of the bolt or the ejector.
    2)also highly versitle
    3)also lightweight
    4)reliable and even the least experienced person could figure out how to use it.
    5) can be used for self defence as well

although it doesnt cary a large amount of ammo in the firearm, a 44mag round dosnt take up hat much room in you pocket.
    i chose the 44 to be able to hunt with leagally, but you can get one in nearly any caliber.

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The 870T was my first response. But the more I think of it, I may grab my Marlin Camp 45. I carry a 45, so I would already have that with me. My BOB has a Sig P220 in it with 6 mags and 200-300 rounds of .45 ammo. It also has a bunch of 10 and 15 round 1911 mags, which would work in my daily carry or the Camper. And 45 ammo would be one of the easier rounds to find.

Oh, THANKS A LOT, Hoosier45! I hadn't heard of the Camp 45 so I googled it after seeing your post. Now it's on my large list of wants!

As to the original question, limited to guns I already have, I'd have to take my 10/22 and my Glock 22.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd take my 10/22 first with lots of ammo.

I'd like to take a few other things too, so now I'm thinking I need to put some off road tires on a wagon so I can carry more...:D

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was looking for a good/funny picture of an off-road wagon to go with my last post and I found this. I could have someone with me riding shotgun - literally and carry most of the things I want to take...

Bonneville_006_01.jpg

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Depends, how long are we talking? A few days a .22 or shotgun would work for me. If weeks, I think I would want something I could reload. Shotgun can be reloaded, but not by me. Any rimfire will eventually run low on ammo. As long as primers and powder hold out I can find lead. Just another take on it. Also, if we are the paranoid type, an AR would good... you can "find ammo" on the ground, or "borrow" it from the Government;)

To take this argument out to its logical conclusion: If you are talking TEOTWAWKI then eventually primers and smokeless powders will become unavailable, so you want yourself a good flintlock as a backup to all your high tech guns.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    That is why I added the AR comments. Also, if it goes long enough we might die from old age first;). We may end up with a board with a nail in the end of it too:D

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i think it depends what emergency if its a total collapse of government or foriegn invation id want both an ar15 556, or and ak 762x39 Because if the government fails and military stock piles are ransacked theres gonna be a lot of m16/m4 mags and weapons out there... 9mm too i quess... in an invation senario i wnat an ak cause thats what all our enemies use and its seems to find its way in collapsed civilitations easily lol

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    My vote goes to the shotgun. Ammo is plentiful, you show me a farm house that doesn't have a 12ga in it. You can defend yourself, hunt, and if some range is needed you can switch to slugs.

Top Bottom