Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Dream revolver. s&w m&p R8 .357

:D

170292opt_sm.jpg

Yeah, I have the "Straight 8" 5" barrel stainless version w/o the rails and love it.

I agree you are overreaching with your criteria for a single gun. Maybe a used S&W Model 64 for $260 from Buds and a newer 6" 686 for hunting?

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Well call me crazy but I jumped the gun again. I came across a deal on a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 casull yesterday. I have shot some big bores and really do not mind some recoil but I am hearing that these thing pack a punch. I am thinking of playing around with it and learning to reload also. In the worst case scenerio I guess I could go with a .45 colt round. I am waiting to hear some reports back on the Hornady LE in the 45 colt round. I havent shot this gun yet but have shot the SW 460 XVR and it wasnt to bad. From what I have heard though the 454 kicks harder yet. The .460 was about all I want to shoot and be half way comfortable. I will be ordering some Hogue Tamer grips and after shooting a little with this gun and playing with rounds I may have to consider a Magna-brake or a Magna-port job. Any advice??? LOL, I just cant make up my mind on what I want to do. Not that I didn't like the .357, I just wanted a little more punching power. I guess I went to the other extreme on this one.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The .454 Casull (I hunt with a 9.5" SRH in .454) has about double the recoil of a .44 Mag.

My buddy and I (he has a 5" .500S&W Mag) both agree that the .454 kicks harder than the .500 (FWIW the .500 is compensated, and muzzle flip is almost not there, the recoil comes straight back).

The .454 will shoot a 300gr bullet at 1600fps and a 240gr bullet >1800fps to as much as 2000fps. No, I have no desire to even try.

When chonographing a top load, after shooting a few rounds I have to start making a conscious effort to pull the trigger. I have to overcome my brain's desire to not pull the trigger again.

240-260gr .45 Colt loads are fairly soft in the SRH, and will still do the job on deer, and in the SRH you have no problem bumping them up to "Ruger Only" levels, which can surpass the .44 Mag.

For deer in the .45 Colt I would stick with the 250gr XTP or 255 LSWC "Keith" style using standard or "Ruger Only" loads.

For loading up the .454 you really need to heed the bullet manufacturers data. Different bullets are constructed differently and the high pressure can peel the jackets from bullets.

I am trying to work on a reduced load and try a few different bullets, and I think I've found one that will work, but it's time and money, and good hunting bullets aren't cheap. This year I hunted with a 300gr XTP-Mag at 1600fps using 2400. Right now I have a 300gr load at 1400fps using A-1680 that's MUCH nicer to shoot. I'd like to also find a load with 255gr LSWC that will do ~1200fps.

Winchester Super-X has a reduced recoil 250gr XTP load. If I ever get the desire to blow $40, I might buy a box and try to duplicate it... problem is no one that I have found (been looking for a few years) publishes any data for reduced .454 loads.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I have the Smith&wesson TR 327 with an aimpoint on it similar to the picture and it will break clays at 50 yards. My 629 classic has shot deer at 100 yards, but it has the 8 inch barrel. I would also have to throw the 686 plus in there also three guns that could work for you.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    The .454 Casull (I hunt with a 9.5" SRH in .454) has about double the recoil of a .44 Mag.

My buddy and I (he has a 5" .500S&W Mag) both agree that the .454 kicks harder than the .500 (FWIW the .500 is compensated, and muzzle flip is almost not there, the recoil comes straight back).

The .454 will shoot a 300gr bullet at 1600fps and a 240gr bullet >1800fps to as much as 2000fps. No, I have no desire to even try.

When chonographing a top load, after shooting a few rounds I have to start making a conscious effort to pull the trigger. I have to overcome my brain's desire to not pull the trigger again.

240-260gr .45 Colt loads are fairly soft in the SRH, and will still do the job on deer, and in the SRH you have no problem bumping them up to "Ruger Only" levels, which can surpass the .44 Mag.

For deer in the .45 Colt I would stick with the 250gr XTP or 255 LSWC "Keith" style using standard or "Ruger Only" loads.

For loading up the .454 you really need to heed the bullet manufacturers data. Different bullets are constructed differently and the high pressure can peel the jackets from bullets.

I am trying to work on a reduced load and try a few different bullets, and I think I've found one that will work, but it's time and money, and good hunting bullets aren't cheap. This year I hunted with a 300gr XTP-Mag at 1600fps using 2400. Right now I have a 300gr load at 1400fps using A-1680 that's MUCH nicer to shoot. I'd like to also find a load with 255gr LSWC that will do ~1200fps.

Winchester Super-X has a reduced recoil 250gr XTP load. If I ever get the desire to blow $40, I might buy a box and try to duplicate it... problem is no one that I have found (been looking for a few years) publishes any data for reduced .454 loads.

Hey thanks for the info so far. Trust me I will follow what you find.

Right now I am looking for the reloading info to get started too. The one thing I see is that you can get the die sets in 45 colt but they are not listed for the 454 in alot of places. My asumption is that you can load using the same die for both loads just have to make the adjustments....?? Like I said before I am completely new to this so I am watching youtube videos and reading like crazy trying to find the right equipment and such. After that I have to find the brass and start experimenting. If you know of anyone with reloading equipment that wants to sell to upgrade I would deffinately be looking to buy. I just cant figure out if I want a turret system or a single press system. Thanks for the info so far!!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I started on a single stage press in the form of a Lee Anniversary Kit over 15 years ago. I bought the Lee turret press (not Classic Turret) a few years back from a Jeeping buddy who bought some reloading stuff but never used it. Since then my single stage press gets almost no use (for pistol reloading anyway). I planned on upgrading to a Lee Classic Turret, but got a progressive Lee Loadmaster instead.

If I could only have one press it would be a Lee Classic Turret.

I've always used my Lee Turret Press in single stage mode, and will continue to do so, for loading hunting ammo and working up a load. The Loadmaster is for .40, .38, and .45Colt range ammo.

Lee .45 Colt dies will also load .454 Casull and I get the Factory Crimp Die for all the rounds that I load.

.454 is probably not the first thing I would reload though... .38 SPL, .40, .45 (ACP or Colt), 9mm would be a good place to start.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I personally like the Smith & Wesson Airweights

I really like the S&W 37 or the 462 DAO revolvers. The 462 seems like it would be a really nice ankle carry option for "BUG" duty, the CC grips for it are nice as well.:D

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Still want 2 guns?

Ruger SP 101 2 3/4 " barrel and Ruger GP 100 with a 6" barrel.

They'll do everything you want and then some. At least they do for me.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I'd recommend .44 Mag. in Dan Wesson or Ruger Super Redhawk. My Dan Wesson has taken both Deer and Groundhogs at 125 + yards. They are both very capable.

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you are looking for the most accurate, long-range revolvers, look to who held or holds 99.9% of all the IHMSA Production class records: Dan Wesson and Freedom Arms. Rugers and S&W's don't even come close. Mounting a scope on a Dan Wesson is a simple matter of drilling and tapping the barrel shroud for a Marlin 336 base and Weaver rings. Once installed, you never have to remove it; just change shrouds.

Last edited:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Thanks for the replies!!!! I am working on getting everything I need to cast my own bullets and to reload for the Ruger Super Redhawk I got. I believe I will mainly use a light Ruger load in it for general use. I am now going to take some time and try to figure out what I want for CCW. I was strongly leaning toward a Ruger GP100 or Ruger SRH Alaskan model but now I am not sure ........ got a lot of great comment that have me considering other arms now. Like I said though thank you all so far for the great input!!

Top Bottom