• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My favorite all around caliber: 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

It is the standard. Other 6.5mm rounds are the 6.5 BRM (E.A Brown's round based on the .30-30), the 6.5x47 Laupa, the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 260 Rem (based on the .308)

The 6.5mm at 140 gn will have similar power down range as would a 192 gn .308 or a 160 gn 7mm. It is because the 6.5mm has a BC over .600, give the SD. the initial velocity should be 2500 fts.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    It is the standard. Other 6.5mm rounds are the 6.5 BRM (E.A Brown's round based on the .30-30), the 6.5x47 Laupa, the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 260 Rem (based on the .308)

The 6.5mm at 140 gn will have similar power down range as would a 192 gn .308 or a 160 gn 7mm. It is because the 6.5mm has a BC over .600, give the SD. the initial velocity should be 2500 fts.

If I ever get around to building a bolt action rifle it will be in 6.5 Laupa or 6.5 Creedmor, two of the coolest cartridges. Someone also mentioned the 30.06, probably more versatile. I've had better luck downloading the 30.06 and .308. The 6.5 seems to do better at normal velocities and bullet weights.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    If you want a rifle that can hunt anything here in Indiana, and still be a REAL rifle, I'm swayed by the 35 Remington. Its the closest thing to a normal or common rifle cartridge that you can deer hunt with. Its got plenty of punch for the small hogs in southern IN, and more than enough for coyotes. Should ruin a ground hog just fine as well.

I love my 17HMR ... but Its not much of a small game weapon. It obliterates a fist sized portion of any little critter you shoot. Head shots only on squirrels or rabbits, or the animal will be ruined.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Guns are like screw drivers, there are many sizes and shapes, all have their "intended" purpose...Most guys have many to fit the specific situation.. but three basic calibers come to mind to cover most bases...a rimfire..either a .22 or .17...then a .223 for longer range light duty, then a true high power in a basic caliber such as a .270. .308 or 30/06.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dual purpose and varmints mostly, I'd go .243.
    With dual purpose and mostly deer, I'd go .25-06

But that for deer elsewhere.

Throwing in the IN deer legal stuff of current.............even though I have a .35 Rem I can't see it as a do all.
    With IN deer hunting factored............to me that means having more than one rifle.

For Indiana varmints and deer, proly a .223 and .35 Rem. I'm no .223 fan really, but 300 yards seems to be a good rip for chucks anymore.....if you can find 'em.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Second this. 6.5x55: when you absolutely have to reach out and touch something.

The 6.5mm comes the closest to being a general purpose caliber. The military has been exploring the concept of a GPC in 6.5mm (but also 6.8 and 7mm) to replace BOTH the .223 and the .308 rounds (5.56x45 and 7.62x51). Thus the 6.5 Grendel has been considered as it would work in the current M4 platform (6.5x39). But some believe that it should be more like 6.5x45 which would take a larger magazine well.

Arthur Brown (E. Arthur Brown Company - Guns, Barrels, Shooting Accessories) has been pushing the 6.5mm Their option is the 6.5 BRM based on the .30-30 cartridge (see their fact sheets). Also the 6.5x47 Laupa and the 6.5 Creedmoor are very popular. The 260 Rem is based on the .308 cartridge (6.5x51). All perform (of course the Grendel does not) as well as the 6.5x55 Swede.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Looks like there are a lot of options out there for an "all around" rifle. You specify bolt action, I would repeat .223, and .308 as very common, with quite a few options that would do just about anything that you could ask of the platform without reloading.

If you are looking for something bigger than .223, but smaller than .308, the .243 Winchester is still fairly common, has good range and power, still heavy enough to take deer sized game, yet not to seem like gross overkill if you go after groundhogs.

Past that, there are lots of great suggestions here, depending on what purpose that you want to generalize around. Think beyond just the round, and what you would most likely be doing, and look at the options for the caliber that you are most interested in. A feather weight sporting rifle will carry much easier than a heavy barrel varmint rifle, but you will loose a bit in the accuracy department (most likely). If paper targets, or a stationary shooting position is the most likely end use, a heavier gun will allow you the most stable shooting, and least amount of recoil for the given caliber.

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    I love my 17 HMR very accurate fun to shoot ammo isn't terribly expensive and it has a little more range then a 22LR (oh and you can find 17HMR ammo)

I have the same opinion. I love the 17 HMR. 223 is great but for most of my fun stuff I use the 17 HMR. My 22s sit in the safe as the ammo is scarce...

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    6.5 Grendel. It's here, it's available and it's already offered in several AR platforms. It's a great short to long range cartridge, is incredibly accurate with sufficient power and has very manageable recoil.
    My two cents only!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Based on the OP I'd suggest a .204 Ruger. Lots more range than a 17hmr, super accurate for targets, takes out varmints and about anything else you don't want to eat. Can find ammo, not expensive and very little recoil. I shot mine yesterday and love it more each time I shoot.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6.5 Grendel. It's here, it's available and it's already offered in several AR platforms. It's a great short to long range cartridge, is incredibly accurate with sufficient power and has very manageable recoil.
    My two cents only!

If you are asking about a general purpose caliber, 6.5mm is it. It has the power of the .308 yet the recoil of the .223 cartridge. The 6.5 Grendel (6.5x39) is good. The 6.5x55 Swede is the standard with 260 Rem, 6.5x47 Laupa and 6.5 Creedmoor doing similar performance. Some talk of making the Grendel 6.5x45 (which means a larger magazine well) so as to increase performance for the military.

The other caliber is the .338 (8.59mm) as it has similar BC as the 6.5mm (over .600). The two cartridges there are the .338 LM (8.59x70) and the .338 NM (8.59x64).

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    243 or 308. Anything in the 6-8mm range of medium size will be sufficient if you plan on reloading.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You asked for best, the two best calibers are 6.5mm and .338 (8.59mm) They have the highest BC and retain energy longer.

Now if you are looking for what is available or is widely shot, that is another question.

Tony Williams has done a very good analysis. And he is one, of many, pushing for a General Purpose Cartridge to replace both the .223 and .308 for the military. The 6.5 Grendel is being looked at as it fits the current M4 platform (65.x39). But some believe that 6.5x45 might be the best all around GPC.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Assault.htm

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Don't want to Hijack the thread, but a quick question: A year ago, when ammo was quickly becoming scarce, 7mm seemed to be the last thing bought up at Walmart. Why was that? I hear lots of positive suggestions here- or was it a different 7mm round?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proly 7mm Rem mag.
    But there are a few others pretty common............7mm Express (.280 Rem), 7mm-08, 7x57.
    Every now and then you come across some 7mm BR ammo..........at gunshops/gunshows.

7mm Mag is fun, has some thump but aint nothing like it was hyped back when I was in HS. I got one and with a little nervousness touched a screaming hot 160gr off..............and was all smiles. This, from a guy who grew up shooting varmint rifles. BDL fits me, so was a nice combo.

Might be beyond some folks comfort level, that and cost............proly why it sits on shelves.

I'm still thinking about a 7mm TCU rifle thought, Contender carbine (that a .223 necked up).

Funny, some folks do think all 7mm the same...............as once evidenced by a rig that came into the shop................. a 7mm-08 stuck in the chamber of a 7mm Rem Mag Browning Safari BAR.

Top Bottom