• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    And what facts would those be? You've only posted some internet opinions. Still waiting on some warranty numbers, or anything factual that backs up your statements :dunno:

Again, the mossberg and the 870 are both on par with each other. They're both cheap factory guns that work fine. Just figure out which one you like more, and go with it.

seed, say whatever you want, it does not change any facts. Have a happy new year!

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Benelli Nova. Considering I own five 870's I think that says something, right?

If you are short you won't like the Nova. If you want to mix and match and buy lots of stuff for it, make one gun into three, you won't like it. If you want to beat the hell out of it, the Nova may be for you. IMHO a pump is not the best all around gun but if you want a pump under $450 a used Wingmaster or new Nova would be my suggestions. Nothing wrong with Mossberg, just not my thing and I know why that is. My preferences don't apply to you, that is for you to figure out by shooting. Any of those three can be sold or traded easily if your preferences change.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've had mossberg and remington. Both worked fine. I prefer the Mossberg for hunting. The barrels swap so easily and the safety is very natural. If you want tacticool with pistol grip and tube ext, 870.

Now back to who is crapper quality and who is awesome based on year and month of production.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you're set on a new shotgun less than $450 you'll be best off with the Express 870 or Mossberg.
    Do yourself a real favor and spend another $100 and get a Browning BPS. It's twice the gun at least as the Mossy or 870

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I love my Mossy 590 - zero ftf or fte in around 1100 rnds - bought it used for $325 - I also have a 500 w/ pistol grip and 18" that eats everything reliably -have less than $250 in it - both have countless upgrades available -

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 seem to be the mainstays of the shotgun world. Personal preference is the 500 due to the location of the safety and my being a lefty.

Both have a vast array of customizing parts available, barrels, etc. and both seem to frequent choices for those wanting a 'one-shotgun-does-it-all' scattergun.

Both are fine shotguns, both can be readily had as a 'combo' package and IMO, the choice between the two just comes down to which 'feels' better to the individual (including things like safety location).

Many good shotguns out there, but these seem to be the 'go-to choice' for a huge number of shotgun owners. There's probably a reason why.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Benelli Nova or a used Wingmaster. I wouldn't buy one of those cheap 870 Express guns if you gave me the money. Love the Wingmaster. A new Nova is $450 or less.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have only ever owned and 870, and I will own it until the day I die. Never had a bit of issue with it. I have several friends with the Mossberg 500 that like be them. I would say whichever you can get the best deal on.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I would look for a used wingmaster 870 magnum or police magnum model. I believe those models are superior to currently manufactured 870s. I also like mossberg 500 series for true versatility including waterfowl maybe the mossberg 835 with 3 1/2" capability would be a good bet also.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ithaca 37, because I'm weird like that. Bottom loading and ejection FTW.

Was all set to buy a 870 Police when my brother pulled a 1948 M37 out from under his bed and offered to sell it to me. I couldn't be happier! Fun gun to shoot, great to look at. Smoothest pump action I have ever felt on a shotgun.

However, I would always buy a 870 over a Mossberg. But I would buy a used 870 Wingmaster. Probably would cost more than a new Express, but I bet you can find one for $450. I'd rather have a 60's era Wingmaster than a new Express.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Like new M37..............action bar came off of forend tube. NUmrichs part (back then) was $15. But it was a dead rig until the easy fix.

Recently saw a brand new 590 that's going back to Mossberg because it dumps shells out the bottom.

Real simple...............if you want a gun others might use (that are left handed) the top safety of the Mossberg can be a plus. Still kicks 'em out the right though.

If you are a lefty, you can buy lefty 870's. Or go Browning BPS (bottom ejection).

Ifg you want to waterfowl I would not get a barrel less than 26". Goose hunting with regular steel (non specialized pellet stuff) mandates 3.5" chambering (can get in 870 and BPS).

I'd opt for a 3" rig and buy specialized ammo for honkers.

There are plenty of used older models out there. Sometimes for very good prices. I paid $215 for my beater 870 Express Supermagnum turkey model. Gamble, as it was fully wrapped in camo tape. After 2 hrs of cleaning it revealed a like new rig, that has been flawless.

Just be sure on a non "supermagnum" receiver your serial number ends in an "M". That means it's a 3" rated receiver. Some will have "Magnum" written on them, some won't. But an "M" at the end of the serial number means it's a 3".

Not all old 870's were. But all 12 gauge Express models are. They standardized then.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had maybe 6 or 7 Express models (pre Cerberus). No problems. Had one 870 Police (minty walnut- buttplate model- no pad) and it had the worst barrel to receiver fit of any I've had (shimmed with tape to tighten up, for slug shooting- worked well). Have also had several Magnum older Wingmasters. Too shiny to hunt with. Did but always worried about the nice wood and bluing.

Buy an Express and beat the sheite out of it.

I've had over a dozen 870's...............some got shot a little, some got shot a lot (most probably went through my first 870 20 gauge Special Field). No problems ever.
    But...............I don't shoot cheap ammo either.

My 20 gauge Browning BPS Upland was nice, but it hit a little high used to a "flat" gun). It had some forend rattle.

But it wasn't as bad as a Mossberg. I've had 7 or 8 of them over the years. They work. Most of mine were deer models, and there the smoothbore versions did outshoot 870 versions rather easily. Mossberg as a bird gun..................no thanks. The wrist is too thick.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's still hunting season. Prices at top end. Buy a used older model Express or WM in March.
    The long barrel and or non camo models are not desired by turkey hunters.
    Folks will be swimming in debt............and you should score a deal on a used duck rig.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom