• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    The ole 12 ga rifled slug is one of the most devastating projectiles EVER!! That is 1 oz of lead!! You will need to sight in your shotgun with whatever rifled slugs you get. But not to worry,, complete devastation will be the end result! The transfer of energy is 2nd to none!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    HELL YEA!! THOSE were my slug of choice!! Cant find those suckers anywhere!! DEVASTATION!!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Had quite a few deer run a ways, some a short distance. And even some folding at the shot.
    Never had one devastated though ;)
    WOW! EVER SINGLE deer ive EVER shot with these old foster slugs within 50yds DROPPED!!to me,, that is devastation! NEVER had one run off til i started using a sabot slug! sold my rifled barrel and never looked back!

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I own three shotguns. The 870 is home defence, mossberg 88 is my dedicated slug gun all shots hit a paper plate at 100 yards and another mossberg 500 combo that isnt as smooth cycling as the 88. Using the 500 on a small parcel of land I'm hunting this year trying to break it in. I shoot cheap winchester slugs, horndy #4 buck for varmit, 00 for fun. Trigger control is key with a shotty focus on the front sight and gently pull trigger. Yanking it will get you 6" groups. Remington has some copper slugs guys on the shotgun forum are using to shoot pretty impressive groups and hasting slugs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I only tried one sabot slug, the WW High Impact Supreme put deer down better for me.
    Had a couple run off. Had the others just crumple.
    Better for me than fosters.

Fosters are mean and work well enough. I had good accuracy too.
    Big holes puts enough red down the trailing should be easy.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    As others have said, go out and buy a few different boxes of rifled slugs.

I hunted deer for 10 years with a smooth bore. Mine liked the simple Remington Sluggers. Killed many deer. I limited myself to 50 yds though due to accuracy of a 2 bead sight.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 88 runs a trigger guard safety?
    The old 500's (top safety) scoped were kind of a glove snagger.
    Think Quake and somebody else made a different safety button to move thumb to the side to avoid so much cussing ;)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    H&R rifled 20 ga will put cheap Remington Buckhammers touching at 100. 6X Leupold on top. Plenty deadly and will hang around in spite of my .243 Tikka and 6.5 Creedmoor Savage. The 6.5 did a fine job on a big doe Saturday.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My shotguns, rifled or smoothbore, were scoped.
    And I tested for slug type, and cleaning interval/fouling.
    Liked to buy 10 boxes of slugs from one lot #.
    My deer rigs were dedicated, so were good for a while LOL

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    88's have a trigger guard safety. Mine is early production with one bar on the action and bought second hand. Probally the worst job I've seen for someone to drill and tap the top of the receiver. Guessing they decided to scope it after seeing how accurate it was with irons.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My father in law has used standard rifled slugs in his 870 Wingmaster and never failed to down a deer. He just dropped his biggest buck to date this morning. Nice typical 10 point right behind my brother in laws house.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I had a winchester 120 ranger with smoothbore slug barrel. With Brenneke slugs, you could hit a paper plate all day long at 125 yards. I called it my MOD (minute of deer). We estimate in the past 30 years it has taken over 100 deer. Passed it on to my son.

Wild Turkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you're using a shotgun, there are no alternatives to slugs. It's the only legal round for that type of weapon. Winchester rifled slugs shoot the best out of my 1187. 5" groups at 100 yds (with a scope). I use an improved cylinder choke tube. Have had no problems with a modified choke in testing. Have also shot them through a full choke with no issues, but prefer the larger diameter.
    If a new gun is needed and not hunting on public areas, I love my AR10 7.62 x 51.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I shot a lot of deer over the years with my grandpa's old 870 Wingmaster, 20 gauge with modified choke. Just plain old Remington Slugger slugs.

It was MOD(minute of deer) at 100 yards with just the front bead for a sight.:laugh:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've used turkey choke tube and 000 buckshot. Very effective and reliable upto 50 yards max. Not on deer but on targets. Very effective strike zone. I imagine if your state allows buckshot for deer hunting. Try it out.

Top Bottom