• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm a big fan of Federal Syntech 150 grain ammo. It has functioned flawlessly in a number of guns, shoots soft, does great with suppressors, and works well on steel targets.

Is it best? Unsure, although that term is highly subjective and dependent on a ton of factors. But it's a great general purpose round for my guns.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For target shooting, whatever's cheapest and works in your carbine.

For a SHTF scenario, any of the good SD loads, HST, Gold Dot, Critical Duty etc would be preferred. But if it's a real SHTF, anything will do. More important would be that you know where the gun will hit at a given distance with the given load.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I like this stuff for target, plinking and general SHTF. Should be pretty warm out of an 8" barrel. If I'm going to run FMJ ammo for serious purposes, I like flat nose better than round nose.

If you are going to run 9mm defensive hollowpoint ammo out of an 8" barrel, I'd stay away from lighter weight offerings and go with something 135 or 147 grain. A lighter weight hollowpoint may open up a bit too much when driven above typical pistol barrel velocities, thus reducing penetration. Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain (not Critical Defense, which is for shorter barrels) or 147 grain XTP should give good performance from an 8" barrel. Not sure about Federal HST at increased velocity, but it is otherwise an outstanding defensive round.

If you're budget minded, I've had good luck with Freedom Munitions ammo.

Best place to shop several vendors online for 9mm ammo:

I have NOT had good luck with Ammo Inc stuff, so if you decide to go with them, I'd order a small quantity first to test it.

Ricktyler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I like this stuff for target, plinking and general SHTF. Should be pretty warm out of an 8" barrel. If I'm going to run FMJ ammo for serious purposes, I like flat nose better than round nose.

If you are going to run 9mm defensive hollowpoint ammo out of an 8" barrel, I'd stay away from lighter weight offerings and go with something 135 or 147 grain. A lighter weight hollowpoint may open up a bit too much when driven above typical pistol barrel velocities, thus reducing penetration. Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain (not Critical Defense, which is for shorter barrels) or 147 grain XTP should give good performance from an 8" barrel. Not sure about Federal HST at increased velocity, but it is otherwise an outstanding defensive round.

I have NOT had good luck with Ammo Inc stuff, so if you decide to go with them, I'd order a small quantity first to test it.
    Appreciate it! I’ll definitely take a look into it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I've heard of the new Winchester ammo and I definitely want to give it a try!
    My Aero Precision EPC-9 with a Ballistics Advantage 10.5" barrel runs heavier 147 grain stuff very well!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

That Active Duty ammo is on my list to try. Will pull the bullet and see how many grain the powder is, and hopefully know what powder it is for reloading purposes.

Hornady XTP they will work good for taking game. They need that extra velocity for proper expansion and they give good penetration and accuracy. 124gr +P should work great in a PCC.

I'm also impressed with Sig VCROWN ammunition. Bullets are made by Sierra.

Also might try a variety of 147gr ammunition. It will give the best penetration be it FMJ, Hard Cast, or HP.

Find what your PCC likes and stock up on it.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've had good luck with Supervel 115gr or Blazer 115 in my Wilson PCC.

On a PTR 9kt (MP5k clone), I put ~2,500 rounds of steel case (Wolf) through it and it ate it up like a champ.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So why limit yourself to one choice? Not sure about availability in your area, but around here you can pretty much find 3-5 different types of fmj or hp. So why not do a DoggyD try them makes some graphs and charts and go from there. Then you will know what is best then stock up.

If availability is scarce in your area then the best we’ll be what ever you can get.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom