• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best Build strategy for a beginner on a budget?

• Total voters

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    They make a rub you can put under your nostrils, that should take care of SOME of the sensory overload you've been experiencing at the 1500?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I agree with Alpo and others, put together complete uppers and lowers first time around.

Palmetto:

Complete Upper today: PSA 20" Rifle Length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Freedom Upper with BCG and Charging Handle - 7781740

$300.

Complete Lower with magpul STR today: Blem PSA EPT STR Complete Lower Receiver Black

$190.

The upper has to be shipped to an FFL that will charge you in the neighborhood of $20 for transfer.

At PSA I'd stay away from "PTAC" and go with "PSA" parts/uppers/lowers.

That upper will need a rear sight, or you can add optics your choice...still that's dirt cheep for a good AR rifle with Magpul STR stock.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm sorry, but I don't consider buying a complete upper and complete lower and attaching two pins to be "building' and any real sense.

Heck, "assembling" an AR is arguably not even building.

If it's your very first, I would buy a complete lower and a complete upper-- or just a whole rifle from PSA or BCM or someone. IMO, builds are for second guns or 3rd guns after you realize what you do or don't like about your "store bought' gun.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Go to the FS section with cash in hand and start low balling the **** out of some of the adds. With the flood of AR's in just this forum's FS section someone who did way to much panic buying will have to dump just to get some money back. Plus tax time is coming....... INGO, home of the $350-$400 AR

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    To me it depends on what your goal is. If you want cheap, buy used stuff of unknown origin. If you want to be picky, build from ground up... Not the cheapest option. If you want to "build" something but not learn much, but a complete upper and complete lower and savor the 2 seconds it takes for the takedown pins to slide home. No insult intended, as buying complete uppers and lowers sometimes makes the most sense, I just crack up when buddy's show me their custom made guns that were slapped together in 2 seconds.

My vote is build from ground up. You have tons of resources here that will help if you have any snags along the way. I don't know your finances though either. Don't rush a purchase either. I find the best rifle builds(that make financial sense) are built slowly waiting for deals.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    When asked I always say buy the first and build the rest. I get funny looks but it never fails, unless you buy a mid to top tier AR you will eventually get a collection of parts in a box after you start swapping out what you don't like or want for those that you do. That box of parts will get to the point where you decide to build a cheap 2nd AR since you have all these parts laying around and just need a couple more to finish a build. It's a process that never ends but you will get to where you can put one together in your sleep, have a few that are configured exactly like you want and few more just for the heck of it. It's kind of a fun way to go.

Last edited:

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    I built lowers using this guide and bought complete uppers.
    Building an AR15 lower receiver: A step-by-step visual guide

That wasn't one of the choices so I didn't vote. :)

This is actually the route I am taking. I bought the Anderson stripped lower from Cabelas and ordered this kit"Palmetto State Armory Magpul MOE Lower Build Kit - Black - 598" to build the lower once it arrives. The upper is beyond my abilities at this time so I will try and find a good inexpensive complete one most likely from PSA.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I bought my 1st ~20 years ago and started modding it a few years later. Once comfortable with everything, I started collecting parts kits when I saw them on sale. Piles of parts! Enough parts to even give almost an entire rifle to a buddy to build.

Just a couple weeks ago I decided to assemble a 300 BLK that had been sitting in the safe for >5 years. This started a chain reaction of taking apart every AR15 I own and swapping things around. My Colt 20" Sporter A2 finally looks like an original Colt Sporter again!

Get ready, this will happen to you too! It's a sickness, a good black rifle disease sickness!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I built lowers using this guide and bought complete uppers.
    Building an AR15 lower receiver: A step-by-step visual guide

That wasn't one of the choices so I didn't vote. :)

Not bad advice.
    Mess up assembling a lower- you'll find out quickly because it won't pass a function test.
    Mess up assembling an upper- you'll find out at the range as your gas key, tube, and bcg attempt to become one...

Ask me how I know...

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Whatever you do don't build one. Once you get the hang of it you can't stop at just one. It's like eating a bag of Lays potato chips.

Man... this is the truth. I just started picking up parts for my INGO lower. As I started doing the research on what I wanted to build I realized how many were already in the safe... I got them out to look at what I had vs. the new build and the wife wasnt super excited! Im covered for the zombie apocalypse!

Top Bottom