• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've put this up a couple of times when it seems relevant. I'm usually reluctant to do so since it sometimes causes butthurt. Yep, I know ARFCOM isn't the greatest source of knowledge, but it has merit in this case. It's an older thread from a few years ago when BCGs were next to impossible to get and were going for a premium regardless of brand. Some of the pictures are now gone, but most are still there. Read the ENTIRE thread, don't just stop on page 1 or 2. It will illustrate why I no longer shop at PSA as well as why I no longer participate in any section on ARFCOM outside of the HAM radio section. A bit off topic, be happy our mods are not like the one in that discussion. Won't take much to figure out which post is mine. Guy is a complete
    View attachment 50936

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/610107_Received_the_PSA_BCG_Pictures_included.html&page=1

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I've put this up a couple of times when it seems relevant. I'm usually reluctant to do so since it sometimes causes butthurt. Yep, I know ARFCOM isn't the greatest source of knowledge, but it has merit in this case. It's an older thread from a few years ago when BCGs were next to impossible to get and were going for a premium regardless of brand. Some of the pictures are now gone, but most are still there. Read the ENTIRE thread, don't just stop on page 1 or 2. It will illustrate why I no longer shop at PSA as well as why I no longer participate in any section on ARFCOM outside of the HAM radio section. A bit off topic, be happy our mods are not like the one in that discussion. Won't take much to figure out which post is mine. Guy is a complete
    View attachment 50936

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/610107_Received_the_PSA_BCG_Pictures_included.html&page=1

Nice link, thanks!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    And do bolts get 'worn in' to the lugs/chamber over time, or can you simply switch BCGs among different rifles?

I have a WMD BCG in my frankengun that I would like to move to my new PSA build, and then get a new BCG for frank.

Any problem with that?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I prefer to use ones that are built properly, out of the proper materials, so I don't have to use the warranty.
    yes and so far I haven't had a lick of trouble in five rifles with Brownell's brand phosphate milspec bolts and carriers. I tried a chromed one, it does clean a lot easier but wasn't worth the extra money. Brownell's also guarantees their stuff in case something happens though I have yet to need that guarantee. :twocents:

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    yes and so far I haven't had a lick of trouble in five rifles with Brownell's brad phosphate milspec bolts and carriers. I tried a chromed one, it does clean a lot easier but wasn't worth the extra money. Brownell's also guarantees their stuff in case something happens though I have yet to need that guarantee. :twocents:

Brownells usually has pretty good quality stuff when it comes to something their name is on. It looks like that BCG is good to go. Each one HP/MPI and everything else looks to spec as well. I usually run BCM's when I get a separate BCG but would not feel bad about one of the Brownells at all.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    And do bolts get 'worn in' to the lugs/chamber over time, or can you simply switch BCGs among different rifles?

I have a WMD BCG in my frankengun that I would like to move to my new PSA build, and then get a new BCG for frank.

Any problem with that?

Only way to know for sure is with a go/no go gauge. Some can some can't.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've been pondering this myself lately. My first AR build is running a PSA "premium" BCG that I got last year after Thanksgiving. The carrier itself is okay. I wish it were a little easier to clean the inside but all in all, it's been good to me. I did have a failure of one of my gas rings last month. I've yet to run 1k rounds through it so I was surprised to have to replace one this soon but now I have a dozen spares, I'm good to go in that department.

I'm thinking I may pony up to a different BCG, I just haven't decided which one yet.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm glad this thread came up since I'm in the process of building my first AR. I was just going to find the cheapest option, but now I've narrowed my option down to Spikes and Fail Zero with the nickel coating.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Almost forgot about Sionics. Their bolts are apparently the bees knees. I wouldn't hesitate to run one of theirs. And their NP3 coating is apparently excellent as well. I wouldn't run NiB or nitrided BCG's due to issues with those coatings/processes, but that's just me.

BCM, DD, Colt, LMT. A few smaller companies putting out quality parts are Sionics and Sons of Liberty Gun Works.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have BCM, ZIESS, Spikes, & AIM Surplus. ZIESS had a dimensional issue, but they took care of it via replacement. Getting ready to order a couple (likely Spikes or BCM) before election, 1-for 11.5" SBR (sent in eform in June) & 1 for a spare.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think there are tons of great options mentioned here... I've got a fail zero I picked up on black Friday I think last year maybe the year before way less than I see them gookg for now. I would say the FZ is my favorite and I'll buy more if I see them for the right price here soon.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I'm also a bit perplexed on finishes. I have two phosphate BCGs that seem almost gritty when charging but seem to run fine on the range, and one NIB BCG (WMD) that runs very smoothly at least when charging. Thinking I'll get some sort of 'slick' finish in a new BCG.

Is this my imagination?

Top Bottom