• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Really enjoying the insight offered here. Thanks for the help.

I think another way to filter is the analogy I have made on INGO before and similar to TCS is to think of firearms as hand tools.

What hand tool is best? Well, it depends if you want to drive a nail or cut a board, right? Guns are the same way.

You can do the same inside your platform.

Going someplace fun, pffft, ok Charles Daly or Ruger will do.

Going someplace serious to do work, get a serious AR.

Me, I think light and whippy, handy like a swagger stick. I have a weapon light and that's about it. That's why a majority of my ARs are 6lbs, not the puffy-necked, bloated-belly monsters with lasers and phasers and geegaws.

Carbine to me means it is out of the safe and I am running, hopefully to a motor vehicle so I can run even faster.

Carbine to others means a rail farm where they can stack necessary tools because they won't be running.

Be water, my friend.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Sons of liberty doesn't get much love here, but after going hands on with one it would take a LOT for me to buy a different factory built ar. I'm a big yankee hill machine fanboy too and with the right deal i wouldn't hesitate on a yhm duty style rifle. I like my ddm4 a1 and i sbr'd it so it's one of the few i know I'll keep long haul, solid gun that performs well at 500 with a 14.5" barrel. No complaints on it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Any list that leaves off sons of liberty gun works in favor of an mp15 loses credibility with me.

This. Also, left KAC and Hodge off the list. Arguably the two best AR's at the higher end.

I think another way to filter is the analogy I have made on INGO before and similar to TCS is to think of firearms as hand tools.

What hand tool is best? Well, it depends if you want to drive a nail or cut a board, right? Guns are the same way.

You can do the same inside your platform.

Going someplace fun, pffft, ok Charles Daly or Ruger will do.

Going someplace serious to do work, get a serious AR.

Me, I think light and whippy, handy like a swagger stick. I have a weapon light and that's about it. That's why a majority of my ARs are 6lbs, not the puffy-necked, bloated-belly monsters with lasers and phasers and geegaws.

Carbine to me means it is out of the safe and I am running, hopefully to a motor vehicle so I can run even faster.

Carbine to others means a rail farm where they can stack necessary tools because they won't be running.

Be water, my friend.

:cool:

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I like my ddm4 a1 and i sbr'd it so it's one of the few i know I'll keep long haul, solid gun that performs well at 500 with a 14.5" barrel. No complaints on it.

I'm a "live and let live" kinda guy and think folks should do what they want, because I'll do the same.

But I've always had a hard time swallowing the rash of handling, ownership, transport burdens of an SBR for a 14.5

Does it wear a suppressor or do you change the muzzle device often? Just curious, again I don't care that you chose that route just wondering if there's a benefit for you personally over pin/weld of a device or suppressor.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm a "live and let live" kinda guy and think folks should do what they want, because I'll do the same.

But I've always had a hard time swallowing the rash of handling, ownership, transport burdens of an SBR for a 14.5

Does it wear a suppressor or do you change the muzzle device often? Just curious, again I don't care that you chose that route just wondering if there's a benefit for you personally over pin/weld of a device or suppressor.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I regularly shoot with a 7.5" 5.56 upper, a 10.5, and whatever else i want to on that lower. I have suppressors and a lightweight one in jail specifically for the 14.5. I prefer direct thread so I'm not going to weld a qd muzzle device on. As far as sbr for solely a 14.5, I'd say it's worth it for people like me who have multiple different cans they like for different occasions or anyone who doesn't want a permanent extended muzzle device. 14.5 seems to me to be the balancing point of 5.56 between weight and effectiveness down range.

There is no real burden to owning sbr's beyond the stamp, other than nosey rso's who think they are paraATF field agents. It's like a parking lot attendant asking for license and registration.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I should re-emphasize my (continual) advice that the best filter for "what gun for?" is training.

Go to school. See what the task is and then form the conditions and standard.

Allow your software to select your hardware.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It has been my experience that if you ask 10 people which is the best AR15 you'll get 12 different answers.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have to agree with Kirk. "Best" AR? For what?

Mission drives gear, not the other way around. That said, the answer is Knights and Hodge, lol.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Another vote for SOLGW here. Don't have one of their in house assemblies but I've used quite a few of their parts and am quite pleased with them.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am still learning, and these comments have been helpful.

Kirk, no specific task in view, beyond just having a couple good, reliable weapons on hand. Just interested to know opinions on the quality of the various manufacturers.

Top Bottom