• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Pump action shot gun.

They are everywhere and extremely cheap especially used. Same goes for shot shells. Everywhere and always on sale.

Second would be for a used bolt action in 22mag. I picked up a like new Marlin with extras for a hundred bucks. Shot the heck out of it for two years and sold it for a hundred bucks.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyone have a preference on beater guns? Wheel guns, semi autos, single shots? Just something to take out and have fun while still having money for drinks afterward?

I do not know what a "beater gun" is. Maybe it is the exploder on an AR-15 that they beat on. Not sure.

But several firearms on today's market represent a fantastic value. The foremost being the Ruger 22/45.

I purchased my first 22/45 for $179. I have purchased several others and have yet to break $200.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I do not know what a "beater gun" is. Maybe it is the exploder on an AR-15 that they beat on. Not sure.

But several firearms on today's market represent a fantastic value. The foremost being the Ruger 22/45.

I purchased my first 22/45 for $179. I have purchased several others and have yet to break $200.

Stick with the first gen on the 22/45. , The MKIII versions suck, IMO.
    IME too.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm all for the Taurus PT111G2. I bought mine for 199 plus tax. It is a hell of a lot better than any Hi Point and not much more money. Comes with two 12 round mags. Mags are easy to get and low cost. I like cocked and locked carry. The trigger is nice and crisp. The grip texture is one of the best of any stock gun. And it is very comfortable in the hand. For a beater it is my beater.

vvk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Indy
    Anyone have a preference on beater guns? Wheel guns, semi autos, single shots? Just something to take out and have fun while still having money for drinks afterward?
    Glock in 40 cal. I bought a couple of LE trade ins (glock 22 and 23 gen 4!) for less than 400. I expected beater guns, but they were like new. One of them had had factory orange grease and looked like it was unfired.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Hands down IMO the EAA Witness in 9mm is one of the best bang for the buck semi-autos out there. 100% reliable and feels good in the hand. Heres one I reviewed for my channel OP if you want to check it out...

[video=youtube;eUihXs57Ai0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUihXs57Ai0&t=120s[/video]

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    I won't buy a beater that wasn't a great gun. Too many out there. Be patient.

The S&W shield at $250 is the best value on new. I don't care for semi and I don't buy new.
    I am convinced the best buy in the beater category is the Ruger Six series. Mainly because they are not beaters. $400 for a really nice one. I predict they will only increase in value with the other favored revolvers. It still has a Cult following.

The Security Six is solid as a rock, nice looking, balances well, and is accurate. It shoots puzzycat 38spl and 357mag fire breathing dragons.

It is at home on the range, in the field, or doing self defense.

Prescut

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've found the best value is buying from a friend who won a gun in a raffle and didn't want it. :): Got a Beretta Stampede in .45LC for a song.

Just for fun picked up a Rossi Win 92 clone in .45LC with a 24" octagonal barrel last week to go with it. Took it to the range yesterday and fired a boatload (sadly sunk) of cowboy action rounds through it. I found it to be decently accurate and a pleasure to shoot...as opposed to my Marlin 1895CB in .45-70 which is very cool (and would be my choice afield) but limited to 20 reliable rounds per range session...after which the twitch and grimace start to set in. Also, the Rossi cost close to 300 smakers less than the Marlin; Almost 500 less than the Win (clone make in Japan) that I was doing a side by side comparison with.

I spent a session watching Rio Bravo and working the action which is now as smooth as I want. My 12 yr old daughter shot it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I just bought a M&P Shield from PSA. After the rebate, shipping, and transfer fees it will still be under $250. There are a lot of great reviews out there so that is what I would suggest. To me a quality firearm for that price, is well worth it.

This! I just don't know what you can buy for $250 that would be any better! If you want to spend a little more, then I would definitely go with a nice used S&W .38. I found a nice 4" HB Mod. 10 a while back for $320. That is a sweet revolver and will last 3 lifetimes!

Top Bottom