• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Never been to any of the previously listed BBQ pits, but Big Hoffas in Westfield is pretty darn good. I prefer a little heavier smoke taste with a good dry rub ob my Q. If I gotta smother it in a sauce to eat it, well then the pit master dripped the ball. And ribs when done right should have a little bit of tug, it the meat falls off the bone it's over cooked. I'd say BBQ is my favorite food group.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    My preference has been for Squealers BBQ around Indianapolis. That is generally where my wife and I go when we can get out for BBQ, since our child doesn't really like BBQ.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I recommend the chicken sandwich at Shawn's. VERY good. Both times I have had Squealers I have really liked it. Smokin' Jims in Bedford is very good as well. Plus when you show your LTCH on Wednedays you get 20% off.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Never been to any of the previously listed BBQ pits, but Big Hoffas in Westfield is pretty darn good. I prefer a little heavier smoke taste with a good dry rub ob my Q. If I gotta smother it in a sauce to eat it, well then the pit master dripped the ball. And ribs when done right should have a little bit of tug, it the meat falls off the bone it's over cooked. I'd say BBQ is my favorite food group.

This, all of this.:thumbsup:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I recommend the chicken sandwich at Shawn's. VERY good. Both times I have had Squealers I have really liked it. Smokin' Jims in Bedford is very good as well. Plus when you show your LTCH on Wednedays you get 20% off.

I try to hit Squealers whenever I'm in town. Thats pretty tasty stuff.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Mmmmm Smokin' Jims... I go to church with Jim, you'll never find a more down-to-earth man; he truly loves his fellow man and God. When the tornado went through Henryville he took his big train down there and fed anybody and everybody that wanted food for several days. He had to make several trips back to get more meat and such... he never asked for an ounce of recognition or a penny from anybody. He simply asked for extra hands to help serve it up... some people are born to serve their fellow man in any way they can and Jim is one of those people!!!

That being said, I'm not a big fan of his Q. Don't get me wrong, it's good Q, but I'm a home-made Q purist and I like my Q to pack a nice punch of smoke, dry rub, and vinegar "twang" and most restaurants play it too safe (wouldn't want to offend somebody with a delicate palate). His house-made sauces are phenomenal though.... if you go, and you like hot stuff, be sure to ask what they have in the back, they have several sauces that they don't advertise and they don't put out because they are HOT!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Frankie's in Mishawaka is pretty good. My favorite is Bill's in Elkhart. That is some good barbecue right there.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Best BBQ I've ever had has been from Smoketown USA in Louisville. If down that way, go visit the redneck Jew. You won't be disappointed.

Around here, Timmy's BBQ is where it's at. They do shows, fesitivals, fairs and such. I don't even know if they have a physical location.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Best BBQ I've ever had has been from Smoketown USA in Louisville. If down that way, go visit the redneck Jew. You won't be disappointed.

Around here, Timmy's BBQ is where it's at. They do shows, fesitivals, fairs and such. I don't even know if they have a physical location.
    Timmy's has a pizza place in Garrett, he does sell some BBQ there but mostly it's a pizza place. I recommend the Chicago style pizza!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in southern Indiana! I've been to most of the BBQ joints around central Indiana (QL's, Squealer's, Dave's, BBQ & Bourbon, Hoffa's, etc.) but my favorite, hands down, is North End BBQ on the north side of Indianapolis. Excellent food and outstanding whiskey collection.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I find it interesting that the folks who tout the best BBQ have never even tried Shawn's in New Albany. Big city siickers...what are you going to do with them?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Shawns is pretty good (but I have only had it once). I am glad that New Albany is getting the recognition. The downtown has been on the up swing for the past few years now. I am still a fan of River City Winery and Adriennes (for breakfast) or Toast. It seems every time I go down to Floyds Knobs to visit my in-laws (which is quite often) that there is some new restaurant in New Albany that we need to try. However, If I am getting BBQ down there, I usually swing by one of those trucks that park on a certain street corner (on paoli pike right by the knobstone), just because it is closer to where we are residing.

As some one else mentioned, Big Hoffas in Westfield is also pretty good. Its our go to place up here for BBQ.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I find it interesting that the folks who tout the best BBQ have never even tried Shawn's in New Albany. Big city siickers...what are you going to do with them?

#1 how do you know they haven't had Shawn's? I'm pretty sure only one or 2 guys in this thread said they haven't had it.
    #2 different people have different taste preferences so "best" is VERY subjective... many people are simply relating the best they have had and do not intend to take away from Shawn's or any other place that has good Q.
    #3 It's quite possible you have hometown bias, and the polls etc weren't collected in a fair manner; nobody polled me. IMHO there is no "best" there is "one of the best" but nobody can possibly be best of everything in everybody's mind, there are way too many criteria to judge it on...

Lastly, I'm not trying to insult anybody, I'm mostly unbiased and just trying to provide some perspective. I personally think my Q is the best there is and it's my specialty when I have guests over.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    #1 how do you know they haven't had Shawn's? I'm pretty sure only one or 2 guys in this thread said they haven't had it.
    #2 different people have different taste preferences so "best" is VERY subjective... many people are simply relating the best they have had and do not intend to take away from Shawn's or any other place that has good Q.
    #3 It's quite possible you have hometown bias, and the polls etc weren't collected in a fair manner; nobody polled me. IMHO there is no "best" there is "one of the best" but nobody can possibly be best of everything in everybody's mind, there are way too many criteria to judge it on...

Lastly, I'm not trying to insult anybody, I'm mostly unbiased and just trying to provide some perspective. I personally think my Q is the best there is and it's my specialty when I have guests over.
    I never cared for your BBQ!:boxing: #1. If they had tried it, they surely would have said so, as any other BBQ would have been a comparison. #2. The majority rules. #3. It isn't all about you!

Top Bottom