• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hey Guys,
    I was wanting to create some side berms for shooting bays. (I have a dirt back berm/back stop already) My problem lies in that dirt is at a premium, IF you can even get it. I was looking at concrete truck wash out material, 2'x2'x4' solid concrete blocks ($20.00 ea.) but they have a riccochet issue, old tires but they have a bounce back issue, etc. Is there anything that a person can use that would be cheap and effective?
    Also, and unfortunately, space is an issue. I only have a 100 yd. back berm and I wanted to create 6 bays if possible.
    I know, I know, people in hell want ice water and that isn't happenin either. But, I was wondering if any of you know of a good way to construct some side berms cheap and effective.
    Thanx a bunch for your time?
    Chaz

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can think of several "good" materials, but they are all more expensive than good old dirt (sand, RR ties, Kevlar sheets, etc...).

I didn't realize dirt was so expensive.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Well, sand won't "stack" well. And I am trying to keep the berms with a small "footprint".
    The dirt isn't all that expensive, it's the trucking. And since there isn't any "digging" going on around here, I can't really get it anyway. And, "ULTIMATELY" I'd like to have 140 tri axle dump truck loads. :(:( So you see, I need to find an alternative. I know that's a boatload of dirt and that would be the best case scenerio but, I can compromise is how much and work with what I got or can get, but it will still be a lot. Basically, I'd like 7 - 25 yard walls/berms. (the ice water thing comes to mind again)
    Thanx a bunch,
    Chaz

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Railroad ties used to contain the sand? Would allow for a smaller footprint, and less sand. I've seen ties on 3 sides, and a couple in the front to help contain the pile. I've even seen ties used as the backstop. Not as ideal as sand or clean dirt.

Yeah, 140 tri-axle loads wouldn't be cheap!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Well, sand won't "stack" well. And I am trying to keep the berms with a small "footprint".
    The dirt isn't all that expensive, it's the trucking. And since there isn't any "digging" going on around here, I can't really get it anyway. And, "ULTIMATELY" I'd like to have 140 tri axle dump truck loads. :(:( So you see, I need to find an alternative. I know that's a boatload of dirt and that would be the best case scenerio but, I can compromise is how much and work with what I got or can get, but it will still be a lot. Basically, I'd like 7 - 25 yard walls/berms. (the ice water thing comes to mind again)
    Thanx a bunch,
    Chaz

140 tri axle trucks worth? That's roughly 2800 tons. That's a whole lot of dirt. Even if you got it for $200 a truck load, you're talking $28,000. That's gonna be a serious range!!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Yup, that's a WHOLE lotta dirt. :(
    I know it's also probably an insurmountable goal so I will work with what I can get. I was hoping, when I started this objective, that we would be dredging their lake and I could use that. As it stands, the State shut down that idea. (the local water and gas co. manager screwed that up, idiot) So now I am looking for alternatives.
    Using tires and dirt together is probably the only reasonably close idea that I can come up with. But still, I guess I am asking too much.
    The cu.yds. we were looking at was 335 which I understand is 140 "heavy" tri-axles.
    Since the range would be "kind of open" to people to shoot from 100 yds. I have to be concerned about people shooting the "front" of the berm as well. There are some numb nuts that just shoot up whatever is in front of them. That was a big issue with the concrete blocks. And I think they would shoot the heck outta railroad ties.
    I haven't given up but, it seems bleak.
    Thanx for your thoughts and insigh,
    Chaz

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Yup, that's a WHOLE lotta dirt. :(
    I know it's also probably an insurmountable goal so I will work with what I can get. I was hoping, when I started this objective, that we would be dredging their lake and I could use that. As it stands, the State shut down that idea. (the local water and gas co. manager screwed that up, idiot) So now I am looking for alternatives.
    Using tires and dirt together is probably the only reasonably close idea that I can come up with. But still, I guess I am asking too much.
    The cu.yds. we were looking at was 335 which I understand is 140 "heavy" tri-axles.
    Since the range would be "kind of open" to people to shoot from 100 yds. I have to be concerned about people shooting the "front" of the berm as well. There are some numb nuts that just shoot up whatever is in front of them. That was a big issue with the concrete blocks. And I think they would shoot the heck outta railroad ties.
    I haven't given up but, it seems bleak.
    Thanx for your thoughts and insigh,
    Chaz

If it's 335 Cubic yards of dirt you need than that is only +- 20 tri-axle loads. You may be closer than you think.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hmmmmmm... guess I can't read my own writing. :rolleyes:
    But I do know he said "140 heavy loaded tri-axles".
    I may end up having to look for another location and see if I can cut into a bank or something. It's a shame tho, as this club has everything a man could need right there.
    Such is life,
    Chaz

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Nope, no power plants around here but that would be a great idea!!

A moat. Really? Goober. My house is underground. (no sh*t.)
    I did try to convince them they need a new lake but they are flush with lakes already.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Just a suggestion. IIRC, the ECPR tactical bays are concrete with a plywood false wall in the back to contain ricochets. I know when they first built the bays they were using a chopped-rubber material as filler between the plywood and the concrete, but I'd think regular dirt or sand would work. At some point you'd have to replace the plywood, but it would be cheaper than other alternatives, I'd think.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    dead puppies. If you can't find enough of them, then use dead kittens.

You ever wonder why they fired me from my animal control officer job?

Really, they did. Because I said crap like this and they were offended. as they were injecting dozens of animals every day with the blue juice......

I can't stop doing it.

Last edited:

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Sloughfoot,
    Just give it up.

Blackhawk,
    Thanx for the idea! Man, it seems anything is going to be expensive. The plywood being exposed to the elements would take it's toll as well. I do like Pitmasters electrical pole idea tho. That will be something else to look at.
    I appreciate the ideas!
    Chaz

Top Bottom