• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    so aside from a 9mm kept close, I have recently added a Kel Tec PLR-16 to my BOB. If you aren't familiar it is a relatively inexpensive pistol gripped short barreled rifle chambered in .223 and accepts all of your AR mags. It is like 16 inches overall and fits into a regular, inconspicuous backpack.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sort of. But it uses a gas piston and proprietary receiver.

Probably the mags and ammo are the only thing it shares with the common AR.

I think the PLR-16 and SU-16 are nifty. Good value.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My main complaint with the SU-16 was that the folding stock didn't use a captured pin. Was continually afraid I'd lose the pin after disassembly, which is why I got rid of mine.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There is no best BOB gun. Some are better than others. Maybe the question to ask yourself is, "What sort of capability do I anticipate needing in a BOB gun?" Frame that out. Then pick a firearm to meet those specifications, or even ask here about which guns might be good fits to meet criteria x, y, and z.

IMHO, based on my assumptions of BOBs and blah, blah, blah, the PLR-16 is not a very good choice because:

1. It weighs 3.2 pounds (51.2 oz), much heavier than other handguns. Weight is critical, esp. in the context of BOBs.
    2, It and its mags are bulky. Space is critical, esp. in the context of BOBs.
    3. It's not a low profile gun; i.e. may attract just the kind of attention you don't want.
    4. Although it fires a rifle cartridge, it is not a rifle. The cartridge will not generate the velocity out of the PLR's 9.2" barrel that it does from a rifle or carbine length barrel (or even from an 11.5" barrel). Therefore, if you're using FMJ ammo, the effective fragmentation range (i.e. the range past which fragmentation will not reliably occur) may be much shorter than you think (i.e. with M193, the PLR is less than a 40 meter gun, with M855 it's less than a 12m gun. past that and you're just poking .22 cal holes). HP ammunition can change things a bit and increase your range some. Not sure what kind of ballistic performance you're expecting/wanting.

You mention a typical 9mm pistol. It and a good 9mm load will perform as well as or better than a PLR at the distances mentioned above, and some distance beyond, while being lighter and less bulky; all while being more discrete. The weight and space req of 9mm vs 5.56 is a wash.

The SU-16 is a viable option if you have room for a rifle and you're on a tight budget, etc. :twocents:

Last edited:

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    IMHO, based on my assumptions of BOBs and blah, blah, blah, the PLR-16 is not a very good choice because:

1. It weighs 3.2 pounds (51.2 oz), much heavier than other handguns. Weight is critical, esp. in the context of BOBs.
    2, It and its mags are bulky. Space is critical, esp. in the context of BOBs.
    3. It's not a low profile gun; i.e. may attract just the kind of attention you don't want.
    4. Although it fires a rifle cartridge, it is not a rifle. The cartridge will not generate the velocity out of the PLR's 9.2" barrel that it does from a rifle or carbine length barrel (or even from an 11.5" barrel). Therefore, if you're using FMJ ammo, the effective fragmentation range (i.e. the range past which fragmentation will not reliably occur) may be much shorter than you think (i.e. with M193, the PLR is less than a 40 meter gun, with M855 it's less than a 12m gun. past that and you're just poking .22 cal holes). HP ammunition can change things a bit and increase your range some. Not sure what kind of ballistic performance you're expecting/wanting.

Thats a very good point. Shortening the barrel to such a length is extremely detrimental to your ballistic performance. I have opted for a modified 870 with a variety of loads. Weight isn't an issue for me, as we get conditioned to ruck march/assault packs on a weekly basis.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Kel-tec also makes a 9mm fold-up carbine , I think it uses glock mags . Pair it with
    a glock and you only need 1 cal. and 1 type mag. My old marlin 9mm would print 2'' groups easy at 50 yds....you maybe triple the range of the handgun.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Kel-tec also makes a 9mm fold-up carbine , I think it uses glock mags . Pair it with
    a glock and you only need 1 cal. and 1 type mag. My old marlin 9mm would print 2'' groups easy at 50 yds....you maybe triple the range of the handgun.

Yep. Sub2000. I have one and it's pretty decent. It's no AR or AK, but it's a decent lead thrower for close quarters out to 100m and it'll reach farther if you know what you're doing.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    You basically can carry any long gun, as long as you get a pack that accomodates.

m3openbackdescriptions.jpg

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like that pack very much.

It wouldn't be so discreet lugging out of an urban area, but a good option anyway.

That would be a great wilderness pack considering all the space and compartments.

For me, less is more as far as a BOB goes. And my Sub2K fits well in smaller packages. An SU16C is good behind the driver's seat, but I don't leave it in there. I might build an AR pistol this summer just haven't decided on caliber.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Don't know what the best BOB gun is, but I do know that a handgun is what you use to get to the long gun you should have had in the first place. If I had almost any handgun and almost any rifle and had to get rid of one, the handgun is gone. No question.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    BOB??? I have two with .22's I can carry a few hundred rounds of ammo in my little BOB. Anything bigger than a .22 lr and weight becomes a major concern for me. I do have a couple of carbines with separate bags if they can be taken also, but for a BOB, I have .22's

Top Bottom