• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Had a nice little tasting last night. Results were what I predicted.

Ksz9KrWh.jpg

Never felt Successful tasting that many at a time. Prefer to taste two at a time, head to head, like a tournament until I get a winner...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Had a nice little tasting last night. Results were what I predicted.

Ksz9KrWh.jpg
    Thats one hell of a lineup. How is the pappy 15 and how do you like the weller 12?
    For me i love the weller 12. Better than weller 107 even.
    Also can you taste a difference between old label weller reserve and the new?
    I dont know if it's just in my head but i can. But ive never tried it in a blind tasting.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Picked up a bottle of Very Old Saint Nick 17yr bourbon. The bottles are only 375ml, so they are half-bottles. Only 2 barrels of this exist.

Also got a bottle of Woodford Reserve Chocolate Malt Rye from their master's collection annual release.

I just had 12 year old Very Olde St. Nick. Very good!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Where can I find Weller?

Looking specifically for Weller full proof blue label or 1792.
    Ohio for weller reserve and the unicorn OWA 107 but you better be there when the store open and be ready to stand in line.
    Full proof, Illinois. Ohio raffles off the weller full proof so you will never find it on shelves.
    Kentucky possibly but most likely no and if you do it will be marked way up. Like 4-600 dollars.

1792 you can find all over the place here

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I had my cousin get the weller special reserve for me in Ohio because I couldnt find it here. Is that hard to find in Indiana? Havent even tried it yet to see if Id like it but if I do wondering where to find even the special reserve.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A buddy actually found the Weller he was looking for on the shelf in a little store in Mooresville.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    For those of you with several open bottles, do you ever notice a difference over time, like a change in the taste? I tend to only have at most, two open bottles at a time, but have several unopened that I would also like to sip on occasionally. If I had several open bottles, it could take me a couple years to finish any one of them.

And I only have one friend that actually likes whiskey, and he really prefers fireball and other flavor infused stuff. And my wife thinks whiskey tastes horrible. Most people I hang out with prefer beer, so I've tried to get them to have a shot of bourbon then a swig of beer. Some are okay with it, some not.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For those of you with several open bottles, do you ever notice a difference over time, like a change in the taste? I tend to only have at most, two open bottles at a time, but have several unopened that I would also like to sip on occasionally. If I had several open bottles, it could take me a couple years to finish any one of them.

And I only have one friend that actually likes whiskey, and he really prefers fireball and other flavor infused stuff. And my wife thinks whiskey tastes horrible. Most people I hang out with prefer beer, so I've tried to get them to have a shot of bourbon then a swig of beer. Some are okay with it, some not.

You need better friends... LOL

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Some bottles i open and revisit a week or two later. They do change some.
    One of my favorites is stagg jr which is 126 to 132 proof depending on which bottle i pour. I let it sit after pouring for about 15 minutes ans it really brings out the cinnamon and vanilla more.

If you have a bottle that is getting bellow half full I recommend moving it to a smaller container with less air or drink it faster. The whiskey isnt going to go bad but the more oxygen its exposed to the more it will change.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    One of my favorites is stagg jr which is 126 to 132 proof depending on which bottle i pour. I let it sit after pouring for about 15 minutes ans it really brings out the cinnamon and vanilla more.

If you have a bottle that is getting bellow half full I recommend moving it to a smaller container with less air or drink it faster. The whiskey isnt going to go bad but the more oxygen its exposed to the more it will change.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Now I wish I would have saved the bottle after devouring a 375 mL Eagle Rare. Could come in handy now.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

I've had a couple of scotches that at initial opening I didn't really care for, but a couple of weeks later when I revisited them they tasted better. With one in particular that I can't remember at the moment, I duplicated the experience months later when I bought a second bottle - not that great at opening, tasted much better a couple of weeks later. Seems that it needed to breath a little. I haven't noticed this with most other scotches...and scotches are a different animal than bourbon, so YMMV.

Top Bottom