• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sipping Weller Special Reserve, good cigar, Joe Bonamassa/Beth Hart Pandoa station playing blues like Clapton, Tab Benoit etc. while pondering the state of affairs...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just cracked open a Makers 46 last night was pleased. Having never been a Makers fan I never thought of trying it, but Ballstaters graphic post convinced me to try it.

Thanks!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    $40 @ Costco...

AZpO4XNm.jpg

It is HOT and SPICY!!! Like hotter than Elijah Craig barrel proof, hot. Guessing it's a pretty high rye mash bill.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    https://leadslingerswhiskey.com/pages/the-story

I picked up a bottle of Leadslingers Fighting Spirit Rye over the weekend.

Very drinkable with a slightly musty nose. It starts with the distinctive spice you expect from a rye, followed by a sweet-smooth finish.

It is definitely worth a try for the under $40 I paid, especially since It is produced by the guys behind Black Rifle Coffee and Article 15 clothing.

The bottle is pretty cool too.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It's been a while since I've had some, but my pick is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. A single-barrel proof that's uncut, smooth as silk and usually retails under $50 (or at least it did last time I got some).
    https://wildturkeybourbon.com/product/wild-turkey-rare-breed/

WT_RareBreed_Banner.jpg

Just finished mine off...

5ggY8bJl.jpg

I like it, but Russell's Reserve is my favorite WT product.

Rare Breed is a much more in your face taste where Russell's Reserve is a lot more subtle and less bite.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Been searching for a bottle of this for a long time. Mash bill is bourbon but it's aged in used barrels so had to be called whiskey...
    84bc860dccbd8f2ddfac2cd9eb6cb1e4.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

So where did you find it? I always grab a bottle or two when I see it, but almost never do. Can find the Bourbon and the Rye but the Whiskey almost never.

And I believe it is not able to be called bourbon because it is less than 50% corn and doesn't have enough rye to be classified as such.

I do know it was the whiskey that George Washington had delivered to Valley Forge to help his troops weather the winter. It was made in W. PA at that time and under a different name, but through a few different owners and now owned and made by Michter's.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So where did you find it? I always grab a bottle or two when I see it, but almost never do...

Dingy, dumpy little liquor store in Nappanee. I have passed it thousands of times without stopping. The wife actually suggested stopping one day. She said, you never know...

They actually have some pretty good bottles, for decent prices, on a high shelf behind the counter.

...And I believe it is not able to be called bourbon because it is less than 50% corn and doesn't have enough rye to be classified as such.

The mash bill is top secret, but I've heard many "experts" suggest that they believe it's above 51% corn based on the sweetness of the flavor profile. Which would get it most of the way to being a bourbon...

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits... states bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:

Produced in the United States
    Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
    Aged in new, charred oak containers
    Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
    Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
    Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

All that Michter's will acknowledge, that totally kicks it out of the bourbon club, is that it's aged in used barrels.:dunno:

Whatever they make it out of, it goooooood.:yesway:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just cause I feel like this can't be shared enough in these trying times...

A top German doctor recommends whiskey to protect against COVID-19

Dr. Rissland was asked about whether or not drinking alcohol could kill any viruses a person may have ingested. "Yes, of course, that's true," Dr. Rissland responded. "And the higher the percentage of alcohol, the better it is. For example, if you are a whisky lover, then that certainly isn't a bad idea,"

Stock up that Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, boyz.:yesway:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I picked up a bottle of Blanton's from a new friend while in KY yesterday.

We had a mini-tasting party.

The small plastic bottle is straight from a barrel at a distillery and includes a few chunks of the charred barrel. It was amazing!

The mini cask was his 1st attempt at making his own & came out pretty good imo.
    cd160634a6b5f382fd35f2337ad0846e.jpg
    c151729aded42625de1e71b8c574ea7c.jpg
    fde96797ac5ced0bbd64352912ad4b21.jpg
    ea86493fee41b7e3883527feeb389312.jpg
    56910e68c77a5342a941d24cc8be3c3b.jpg
    e159829b2df1926f382431fb28085f7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just cause I feel like this can't be shared enough in these trying times...

A top German doctor recommends whiskey to protect against COVID-19

Stock up that Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, boyz.:yesway:

I agree.

Barrel Proof bourbons simply have more flavor.

But in the under $50 category I have 2 bottle in my cabinet at all times. Makers Mark, because it is damn good and hard to beat at any price AND some Jack Daniels because its good, not great, and most people like it. Makers Barrel Proof is better than regulars MM but its actually the same thing, only not cut down to regular MM proof.

An honorable mention, under $50, which is a frequent but not always item in my cabinet, FEW Bourbon. It's good and roughly $40.

I wish FEW offered a bourbon in a Barrel Proof version.

Top Bottom