• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Special Order arrived. Took 2 weeks to get in, but I got it. Liquor store only got 1 bottle and it had my name on it. Quite a bit more than the $50 limit set for this thread, but I gave up on reviewing those long ago.

imagejpg1_zps9dd851eb.jpg

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Just wanted to share this with all of you bourbon connoisseurs. Big Red Liquors is having a sale tomorrow morning and they'll be raffling off a chance to purchase some Pappy Van Winkle . I don't know much else about it beyond what's posted in the link below. I'm hoping to get a couple more bottles to add to my collection.

Also for sale: ALL 10 single barrel mash bills of Four Roses ONLY $44.99 per bottle
    +
    Smooth Ambler Single Barrels
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
    Elmer T Lee
    Angel's Envy Rye
    E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof
    Evan Williams HAND SELECTED Single Barrel
    High West HAND SELECTED Single Barrel
    Sazerac 6 Year Rye

LINK

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . .
    Evan Williams HAND SELECTED Single Barrel
    High West HAND SELECTED Single Barrel

. . .

Just so people know, those "HAND SELECTED" items are sort of a gimmick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying its bad, but its more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

If you are a retailer and you move enough volume, or have enough money, you can go to the distiller and buy a barrel. They take you out into the storage area with all the barrels (rickhouse) and tell you that you can pick a barrel. You commit to buy the entire barrel, they bottle it for you when its ready, and you get it shipped to your retail store with a special label that proclaims it was HAND SELECTED. Which it was. But the barrels next to/above/below/behind yours are probably identical in every way, except they just have a regular label slapped on them instead of the HAND SELECTED label.

So that is the story behind "HAND SELECTED" items.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Good point about the Hand Selected. I'm no where near seasoned enough with bourbon to tell much difference between barrels so I won't bother paying the premium for the "hand selected" items.

My plan is to grab a couple bottles in the $30-$40 range after discount. A few friends and I have been getting together and having a "bourbon night" once a month where we try out classier bourbons. We had Blanton's last gathering.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Bob that isn't entirely true. Yes there is a bit of a marketing gimmick to it, I'll agree there.

Basically this is how it works.
    Any store can buy a single barrel, it doesn't really matter how much you sell of said brand (with most companies). We will either take the buyer down to the distillery, or bring them 4-5 samples from different barrels throughout the rick house. Each sample will have a different flavor profile and taste. This is because of the different micro climates within the house. Could be from the "outside" or "inside" area, top or bottom, etc. So while there is a nice little marketing strategy behind it, each barrel is really hand selected for that owner/managers personal taste. It is then bottled and labeled personally for that store. USUALLY the hand selected barrel will be priced even with said brands "normal" single barrel offering as well.

I have tasted several different hand selected barrels and they do indeed all have a different flavor profile.

Also, most companies aren't doing these anymore because there isn't enough product to use. Heaven Hill stopped, Sazerac stopped, Beam and Jack stopped. The only one I KNOW is still doing them is Four Roses.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Aaron, I'll admit that I over simplified, but the point is generally the same. You buy a barrel and get a special label. Its mostly a marketing gimmick.

---------------------------

Going back to reviews, I pulled out a new bottle of BEER BARREL that I had purchased quite a while ago and never got around to opening. Never compared it to KNOB CREEK so I figured that it would be a nice comparison. Lots of KNOB CREEK fans out there, its a fine bourbon. BEER BARREL is one of my low priced favorites, with its second aging in New Holland Brewing's Dragon's Milk barrels after it is aged in traditional charred oak barrels.

Just on looks alone, the KNOB CREEK is slightly darker/richer in color than the BEER BARREL. The KNOB CREEK is a dark amber, while the BEER BARREL is more of a honey amber color.

As for the aroma, the BEER BARREL is a little sweeter in scent while the KNOB CREEK has a bit more of an alcohol scent.

Sipping on the BEER BARREL is always a pleasant experience, just a hint of a tingle on the lips and only the slightest warmth, but not a burn. The flavor changes from sweet on the front of the tongue to a little bit of a spice on the back. Its just a nice easy to drink bourbon and the roughly $35 price tag is a bonus because its modest in comparison to some others. The KNOB CREEK is a higher proof bourbon and has much bolder flavors. There is also a bit of lingering heat when it hits your belly. At 100 proof for the KNOB CREEK versus 80 for the BEER BARREL you might think that the KNOB CREEK would be harsh, but it is not harsh, rather it is better described as bold or hearty. But its not harsh.

Dropped a small bit of ice in each glass and let them melt down a bit. As with previous tests, I don't like the BEER BARREL as much with just a bit of melted ice. For some reason the BEER BARREL tastes pretty darn good neat, and it tastes pretty darn good with a fully melted ice cube, but with just a little bit of ice melt it seems to be off in some way. So drink it straight, or let the cube fully melt (or add an equivalent amount of water) but don't bother with it when it just has a cube that is only very slightly melted.

The KNOB CREEK seems to really sharpen up with some melted ice/water added. The bold flavors are really heightened after the ice has melted down. Lots of bourbons get sharper flavors, more pronounced spices, after they get some ice/water added to them. KNOB CREEK doesn't disappoint when you let the ice melt down, the bold flavors open up and become sharper and more bold.

If you like a full flavor bourbon then your choice is going to be KNOB CREEK, at least in comparison to the BEER BARREL, which is milder and easier to sip. The BEER BARREL is soft and mild while the KNOB CREEK has big bold flavors. To each his own, some will prefer one, some the other. I like both enough that I'll call tonight a TIE. Some nights I'm in the mood for a light, easy to drink, mild flavor profile. Some evenings I'm in the mood for big bold flavors.

And both KNOB CREEK and BEER BARREL are well under $50 each!

So back into the spirit of this thread, take your pick, you won't go wrong with either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Today at the NWI INGO Clubhouse, INGO member 3floydsfan brought in a bottle of NOAHS MILL bourbon. Its a barrel proof, not sure exactly what the proof was, but I think it was roughly 119 ... give or take a bit. Damn fine sipping bourbon. We all tried it straight. We all liked it. Based on the sample I can say that its one of the "Under $50" bourbons that I can easily recommend.

Tonight after leaving the fencing club I stopped at my local shop. He had a bottle of one of my 'bucket list' bourbons. GEORGE T STAGG bourbon, it is both a 'barrel proof' and an antique, aged 17 years. A very rare combination. It took 3 visits to get that 1 bottle and I got lucky because the guy who was on the list in front of me never showed up, so I got it.

While I was there I also got a bottle of MAKERS 46 from Makers Mark. I honestly think that Makers Mark is one of the truely great bourbons, and at under $30 a bottle its a best buy too. Makers Mark is a 'wheated' bourbon, made with Corn + Wheat instead of Corn + Rye, which is more traditional. Pappy Van Winkle, the worlds most sought after bourbon, is also a 'wheated' bourbon, so Makers Mark is in fine company being a non-conformist. The MAKERS 46 is traditional Makers Mark, which has been second aged wtih some additional barrel staves to impart a bit more chared oak flavoring, and that adds a bit of vanilla and/or caramel too. I've never tried it but I've wanted to, so I picked it up to try out. Under $35, and a bit more complexity than traditional Markers Mark should make it a serious winner. The George T Stagg was more than double the price of the Makers 46.

imagejpg1_zps114d154d.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Left the funeral parlor last night after celebrating a life cut short by the inevitable. Stopped at the liquor store with my wife to buy some wine for our upcoming Thanksgiving dinner and I took a stroll down the bourbon aisle. Found a bottle of the new BIB & TUCKER bourbon. Priced at a few dollars under $50. Picked it up. When we got home I had a couple fingers worth in a short glass and I will say this is ONE MIGHTY FINE bourbon, perhaps one of the very best "under $50" bourbons" ever and better than many that are over $50.

This was my second try of the BIB & TUCKER. First try was a sampling with aclark and some others at the NWI INGO Clubhouse a few weeks ago. We all agreed it was a fine bourbon. It was compared to a couple different batches of Garrison Brothers Texas Bourbon, and honestly I enjoyed 1 of those better than the BIB & TUCKER. But the Garrison is 50% more expensive and clearly over the $50 limit.

If anyone is looking for a really good under $50 bourbon, one that stands up very well against many bourbons that cost much more, consider the BIB & TUCKER.

Last edited:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I really do like the Bib & Tucker. I think it has a subtle sweetness, and a nice nutty taste that really smooths out the bourbon. Its doesn't have a very grain flavor to it, much more of the oak. A great bourbon for right around $50.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Buried my friend Dale today. He was a Scotch drinker. And while I will drink Scotch while I'm in Scotland, I don't keep it at home because I'm more of a bourbon fan. So I'm sitting quietly, contemplating life and realizing that 57 is way too young an age to bury a friend, to see a wife loose a spouse, and to see 2 sons lose their father. I was honored to be a pall bearer at the funeral. Coming home I cracked open the bottle of the Woodford Reserve MASTER'S COLLECTION Sonoma-Cutrer Bourbon. Way more than $50. I wanted to hoist a special drink in his honor.

Its a rich brown color, bordering in redish brown, unlike anything else I have in my collection. The scent is both sweet and spicy with some hints of alcohol coming through to the nose.

This is a very complex bourbon and very non-traditional as it is finished off in wine barrels after the traditional aging. Its also fairly hot with plenty of mouth tingle and some burn, not a long lasting burn but there is a lingering heat that remains after the burn finishes. The flavors are almost savory in the mouth with few hints of sweetness on the front of the mouth. Its smooth at the front of the mouth but not really sweet. The savory flavor is not peppery like many other bourbons either. Its hard to pin this one down.

After drinking about an ounce I dropped a 1/2 melted ice cube into the remaining ounce that was left in the glass to let it melt down, chill the liquid and see if the water would open up the flavors.

The ice considerably calmed the tingle, reduced the burn but left the lingering warmth. The savory flavors that I could not really pin down to anything in particular seemed to pick up some of the more traditional peppery tones that are common in high rye bourbons. It remains a very interesting bourbon, with a very long finish. The mouth tingle seems to start up long after the bourbon has found its way down your throat, so the tingle is delayed and stays with you, much the way the belly warmth stays with you. Ths is a very long finish and its very complex in its flavor profile.

The Woodford Reserve MASTER'S COLLECTION Sonoma-Cutrer is not a typical bourbon, its a very special bourbon. Some may not enjoy it, some will love it, but there is no question that it is a rare and special product indeed. It is, very much, like a special friend.

-----------------------------------------------------

I really do like the Bib & Tucker. I think it has a subtle sweetness, and a nice nutty taste that really smooths out the bourbon. Its doesn't have a very grain flavor to it, much more of the oak. A great bourbon for right around $50.
    I don't recall the exact price I paid, but I think it was right about $46-$48 for the bottle. We also picked up 4 bottles of champaign, 3 of wine, some Grand Mariner, a bottle of Tito's and a Kaluha. I recall noticing it was a few dollars below $50, but can't recall the exact price.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    BIB & TUCKER Kentucky Bourbon is probably one of the finest of the under $50 per bottle bourbons that I have ever tasted.

BIB & TUCKER is easily better than Blantons (slighly over $50), Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, Buffallo Trace, Beam Black, etc (all under $50). On par with Jeffferson's Reserve (slighly over $50). So if you want a really nice bourbon that is a really geat value, take a look around for the new BIB & TUCKER offering while it is still under $50.

Price for the bottle is under $50 but sales tax may tip the total to just over $50.

imagejpg1_zpsf898f749.jpg

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Enjoying some Bookers tonight after getting the Christmas tree put up. Dances right around that $50 mark depending upon the store, one of my favorite bourbons.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    What should I get for this holiday.....?

Give me 2 under $50.

Melensdad,
    I recall you being a cigar guy. Maybe even having a shop? AnywayI will be enjoying a few cigs over the long weekend so a match for cigars would be cool.

Thanks!

Great thread!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What should I get for this holiday.....?

Give me 2 under $50.

Melensdad,
    I recall you being a cigar guy. Maybe even having a shop? AnywayI will be enjoying a few cigs over the long weekend so a match for cigars would be cool.

Thanks!

Great thread!

2 under $50. . . how about 4?

BIB & TUCKER is very very good. Its just a few dollars under $50.
    Makers Mark 46 is very good and in the mid-$30s.
    BEER BARREL is in the mid-$30s and is a nice easy to drink, but not really a 'serious' bourbon. I like it. Most people who try it like it. Perhaps because its easy to drink. It is made by New Holland Brewery/Distilling and 2nd aged in Dragon's Milk Beer Barrels, which impart a nice flavor.
    Makers Mark is really hard to beat at under $30/bottle.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    2 under $50. . . how about 4?

BIB & TUCKER is very very good. Its just a few dollars under $50.
    Makers Mark 46 is very good and in the mid-$30s.
    BEER BARREL is in the mid-$30s and is a nice easy to drink, but not really a 'serious' bourbon. I like it. Most people who try it like it. Perhaps because its easy to drink. It is made by New Holland Brewery/Distilling and 2nd aged in Dragon's Milk Beer Barrels, which impart a nice flavor.
    Makers Mark is really hard to beat at under $30/bottle.

Thanks for the quick reply! And for 4, although as my luck would have it, I am Maker's Mark Ambassador..... :cheers: I have been thinking about Bib and Tucker. So I will try that. I would need to sample the Beer Barrel before I bought some. I mean I would buy a shot or 2...

Top Bottom