• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think MGP has their own label now. They are based in Lawrenceburg and provide spirits to a lot of boutique brands.

MGP has released limited batches of product in the past, under various labels, but I believe they have always at prices above $50 and always in very limited release. I've yet to find any. I know some were not even available in Indiana but were in Illinois.

This they did release their own bourbon under the GEORGE REMUS brand, which they acquired last year, bottles are supposed to be priced about $45. I've never found it up in my corner of the state. The initial release was for only about a half dozen midwestern states. It may be released to a wider group of states now?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Nice little surprise about my Weller Special Reserve, it's a 1.75 liter bottle, this is freaking huge. Really didn't expect that and didn't know they bottled like that

I am looking for an Indiana made whiskey for a gift for $50 or less. The person that I am getting it for is a connoisseur of whiskey. Hard to compete with that but at least know they wouldn't have any from Indiana. Any ideas of what would be good? Thanks! SAM ( Mary)

Not totally Indiana, but OKI is good stuff

Specifically Indiana, Big Red Liqours has a store pick called VIP, batch 1 was pretty tasty and tasted a lot like Old Scout. Batch 2 (which you can find in the stores easier) was aged in stout barrels from Taxman in Bargersville, it's okay, but $59 or $69 a bottle while batch 1 was $49 or $45

Wasn't a fan of that Carl whatever that's totally Indiana

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    YES and its damn good!

Carl T from Starlight Distillery. Roughly $35-$40. Very very good. Rare and unusual.

I can't believe I forgot that one.

I'd take Carl T as a representative bourbon from Indiana gift any day.

I wasn't a fan of it, but people's tastes are different. It's super young

There is a barrel strength version I believe, hasn't tried that one

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ohhh I generally like barrel strength

Goes to show how much I don't remember the brand, they sell a Single Barrel, I remember the price went up considerably so thought it was a barrel strength but it was actually a single barrel. However, they might sell a barrel strength at the distillery, a gift shop exclusive, but I have no idea

I never been there, and it's not on Bear Wallow Road either, but Bear Wallow Distillery in Brown County makes whiskey, not sure if they're been around long enough to have a bourbon yet.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think bulliet rye is still my favorite bottle for under $50. Now they have a couple new releases in a mash bourbon with the 10 year and stronger version maybe it's a single barrel I can't remember.
    For over 50 ($96) a bottle I like the angels envy finished rye.
    The standard angels envy is also a great choice for those that don't like rye and it's also a lot cheaper at around $45 a bottle.
    I still havvent cracked my bottle of Jack Daniels unaged single barrel rye. Have any of you tried it?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bulliet recently released "Batch 2" of their barrel proof.

Hard to find but worth looking for. But over $50

I got 2 bottles last night because I'll share and they will get drank. I usually buy in pairs. Opened one and it was very nice. They were $65 per bottle. $20 more per bottle than my bulliet rye and $10 more a bottle than the 10 year bulliet. It was worth it
    I found a couple bottles of the Jefferson's ocean voyage 5 i had in the cabinet. I don't know what voyage they are on now. One is open and the other isn't. I'll have to retry it one night this week. I remember liking that one.
    Last night after trying the bulliet barrel strength batch 2 I poured some of the angels envy rye again. The finish on that is amazing and you really get oak and maple flavors and it's a very smooth bourbon going down your throat.

Also I have some Col EH Taylor small batch I'm eager to try. Has anyone had That? I saw the barrel proof was recommended here but I haven't found thst one yet

I really appreciate yours and everyone else's recommendations in this thread. It has opened my eyes to things I would have never tried and also has allowed me to find wonderful bourbon for a lot cheaper than I thought possible. I thought before most of the time that if it was less than $50 to $100 a bottle it couldn't be good. This thread has proven that very wrong and I have backed that up with my own tastebuds. I've found bourbon for $20 a bottle thst was better than some $140 bottles I have. Thank you all

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Jefferson's Ocean is on Voyage 12 now.

But the Ocean Voyage 10 CASK STRENGTH is the one to find. Its really really good. $99.00

Have not tried 12 but I see it out in the wild; I have some 11 and it is not remarkable. Can't really recommend that one. I have some 5 too. Its better than 11.

I have some Col EH Taylor Small Batch, but honestly can't recall the profile of that one. Its morning, I need coffee, so I have an excuse why I don't recall it. In any case I've never had a Taylor that I didn't enjoy.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Anybody else going to Bourbon Fest at the State Fairgrounds this weekend?

I'll be in Kentucky unfortunately, was planning on going. At least I'll hit up the Willet and Heaven Hill gift shops, and see Buffalo Trace with the Christmas stuff. And hit up Liquor Barns :yesway:

Did get a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof today, batch B517

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I was in the Kokomo Meijer earlier this evening. Most of their boubons are on sale. Bought a bottle of wild turkey American honey. Will give it a “shot“ this weekend.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Got a couple single barrel 1792s today (1 store pick), couple Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength Store picks (60.9%), and an Elijah Craig 94 proof store pick today. The Four Roses was $55 but everything else well under $50

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm picking up a bottle of Woodford Reserve after work. Feeling pretty crummy today so unless a miracle happens and I feel a lot better tomorrow I won't be going to the Bourbon Fest.

Yes, I still go to work when I don't feel good. Those bills don't pay themselves.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Picked up a bottle of the 5th version. Of the William Heavenhill today. Not bad for not going to bourbon fest
    Of course I get to Willett right when they open and they have their 15 year old
    Bourbon.....after I leave

Top Bottom