• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm planning on stepping outside of my comfort zone and buying something other than Gentleman Jack... This thread is giving me a lot of options, almost to many. Whatever should I do?

Bookers
    Makers 46
    Noah's Mill

But beware, the Bookers & the Noah's Mill are high proof bourbons (roughly 120 to 130 proof), a little goes a long way. Both of those have bolder flavors than the Makers 46, which is probably closer to your Gentlemans Jack than the other two choices.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ultimate Spirits Challenge Results are out. You can find the full list here
    Ultimate Beverage Challenge ? 2015 Spirits Challenge Results

now ow this isn't an end all be all list since producers have to pay a hefty fee for each item they want to submit, but you can get an Idea on how some products stack up. We can find some common trends, as well as some diamonds in the rough. Here's a quick snapshot of the Bourbons.
    image.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    LAKE LIQUORS in Cedar Lake has "Jefferson's OCEAN ~ Voyage 4" bourbon in stock.

And Voyage 4 is darn good, really really good stuff. We did a sampling of it at the cigar lounge. People LOVE the Voyage 4 bourbon.

It is in the back office, you need to go and ask for it from the owner. The clerks don't have access to the back office. It might be best to call ahead. Tell them "Bob from the cigar lounge" sent you there. He only got 6 bottles. First 6 get it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thanks for the heads up melensdad! Stopped by my local shop and they had voyage 4 in the case :) still have quite a bit of voyage 3 left, but I didn't like it as well as voyage 2. hopefully voyage 4 is as good as I remember 2 being.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    thanks for the heads up melensdad! Stopped by my local shop and they had voyage 4 in the case :) still have quite a bit of voyage 3 left, but I didn't like it as well as voyage 2. hopefully voyage 4 is as good as I remember 2 being.
    Voyage 2 was amazing/astounding/awesome.
    Voyage 3 was so-so.
    Voyage 4 is approaching the awesomeness that was Voyage 2. You will like it. Its very good stuff. We had a tasting of Voyage 4 at the NWI INGO Clubhouse a few weeks ago. Everyone loved it.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Bob, I have been working across the thin red line this week and went into a Binny's and they had 4 bottles of the fourth voyage. If you or anyone else wants me to pick them up next week just let me know as I should be up here at least 3 days. $79.99

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Bob, I have been working across the thin red line this week and went into a Binny's and they had 4 bottles of the fourth voyage. If you or anyone else wants me to pick them up next week just let me know as I should be up here at least 3 days. $79.99

I have a 'back up bottle' of Voyage 4, but highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try an excellent bourbon.

Today I picked up an "Eagle Rare 10 Year" which is a cheap but excellent bourbon. Its a single barrel bourbon and has a "10 Year" neck label. This is the OLD bottle. The NEW bottles no longer are labeled as 'single barrel' bourbons and they no longer have th "10 Year" neck label, but they still list 10 year on the back. I know the old style is excellent, and at under $30 a bottle its a hell of a bargain. I don't know if the new style is as good so when I saw this I picked it up; it was the only old style bottle I've seen in quite a few months.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I LOVE Eagle rare 10. To me it's equal to or *hard to say* slightly better than Makers Mark. I'd love to try the 17 year.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Had a pretty good week.

Went to my favorite local bourbon spot and had an AWESOME bourbon called Lost Prophet. It's a 22 year aged bourbon from Orphan Barrel line which was part of the Weller / Buffalo trace distillary that has set around for a while. Great smelling bourbon, rich and sweet with a lot of carmel smell. I drank it neat, and it went down very smooth. Again sweet taste with some carmel, very "oakey" flavor. burned in the front but went down smooth with no burn down the back of the throat, just very smooth. It was a great tasting bourbon, one of the best I've had recently. I don't know if it's worth the $120/bottle price, but it was a great one to me.

also had a good weekend! Wifey and I stopped by Jungle Jims, and I hit up their liquor store.

bourbon.JPG

Not a super great selection but I was able to pick up a bottle of Eagle Rare and Jefferson Chef Collaboration from batch 12. Eagle Rare was $30, and Chef collab was $35. I've not read or heard much about the chef collab but it's jefferson mixed with a rye, and the bourbon guy at JJ really liked it. So we shall see!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Searching for 3 bottles right now:

Jefferson's Manhatten (its a pre-mixed Manhatten)
    Col E.H.Taylor Cured Oak
    I.W.Harper 15 Year

Jeffersons Manhatten isn't fully released right now, but Indiana is getting some soon. I should know more in a week or two.

Harper isn't fully released yet AFAIK as well.

No clue on the cured oak.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Jeffersons Manhatten isn't fully released right now, but Indiana is getting some soon. I should know more in a week or two.

Harper isn't fully released yet AFAIK as well.

No clue on the cured oak.
    I was talking to the owner at Lake Liquors last week.

Harper was pitched to him, but not the 15 year. Just the cheaper/younger product. I'm only interested in the 15 year product. He was not sure if he could get it.

He said that Jefferson's Manhattan was going to be in his store at the end of last week, but I usually stop in only on Monday nights so I told him I'd see him Monday to see if it arrived.

He also had no clue about the TAYLOR Cured Oak but I know that has been released, it may not be in Indiana???

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well there is not Jefferson's Manhatten released here yet, it is scheduled to be released here soon.

Same with the 15 year old version of the I W Harper, it is not yet here, but the younger Harper is available.

Still trying to find out if Indiana will even get the limited edition EH Taylor Cured Oak.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Excellent stuff! Another great Irish whiskey that goes around $50 is Green Spot. It's a single pot still 7 year old bourbon and the guys at the Indiana Roof had some left over from a previous event and put it out at the bar for our St Patrick's Day banquet. Very good stuff but I still like Jameson better.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    How about <$50 per "shot?" Finally popped my cherry with some Pappy's. Think it was 15 year Rip van Winkle and was about $30 Canadien for the snort. Boy it was good....

I type this as I'm finishing off a double Makers on the rocks with a bit of water as a night cap here at the house.

Top Bottom