• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Blantons, enough said

Blantons is a very good everyday/semi-premium bourbon.

I'll admit that I was never a fan of Blantons but I've changed my mind, now I enjoy it. Very good, not greatness in the bottle. I do like the collector corks. If you get each of the corks (they spell out B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S) then you have a scene of a horse running in a race.

In the under $50 category its hard to fit Blanton's because I typically see it just over the $50 price. Same is true for Jefferson's 'Reserve' and Bookers. Its not hard to find Blantons or Jefferson's 'Reserve' at large supermarket chains like Meijer and they sometimes can be found on-sale for under $50. Its been a very long time since I've found Bookers under $50. But normally I find all 3 of those brands priced right about $55-to-$59. Of those 3 I'd always pick Bookers. The choice between Blantons and Jefferson's 'Reserve' is a toss-up. I used to consider the Jefferson's 'Reserve' the best non-barrel proof in the $50 price range. It might still be. Especially since Meijer is pricing it at $44 right now, at that price its a huge value and would tip my hand to that brand over the Blantons any/every day. But when those 2 brands are the same price I'd just flip a coin.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Straight bourbon by law must be aged a minimum of 2 yrs, but if the age is not marked it must be a minimum of 4.
    [/INDENT]

The only requirement for aging is that a "straight" whisky must be aged a minimum of two (2) years. That is all. If it is unmarked then it is at the minimum of two (2) years but could be any amount of time above that.

Linky to law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.22

See specifically (b)(1)(iii).

Presumably there would be a drive to advertise a well aged whiskey and that would be covered by other laws regarding truth in advertising, but the actual legal requirement for "straight whisky" is merely a minimum time of two (2) years.

Regards,

Doug

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Blantons is a very good everyday/semi-premium bourbon.

I'll admit that I was never a fan of Blantons but I've changed my mind, now I enjoy it. Very good, not greatness in the bottle. I do like the collector corks. If you get each of the corks (they spell out B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S) then you have a scene of a horse running in a race.

In the under $50 category its hard to fit Blanton's because I typically see it just over the $50 price. Same is true for Jefferson's 'Reserve' and Bookers. Its not hard to find Blantons or Jefferson's 'Reserve' at large supermarket chains like Meijer and they sometimes can be found on-sale for under $50. Its been a very long time since I've found Bookers under $50. But normally I find all 3 of those brands priced right about $55-to-$59. Of those 3 I'd always pick Bookers. The choice between Blantons and Jefferson's 'Reserve' is a toss-up. I used to consider the Jefferson's 'Reserve' the best non-barrel proof in the $50 price range. It might still be. Especially since Meijer is pricing it at $44 right now, at that price its a huge value and would tip my hand to that brand over the Blantons any/every day. But when those 2 brands are the same price I'd just flip a coin.

Same here, at that price point I find Bookers hard to beat. And, being a barrel-strength offering means it tends to last longer with me. :yesway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As is normal for my routine I stopped off at the local adult beverage purveyor on my way home from the fencing club.

He had 3 bottles set aside for me.

KA VA LAN is new to the USA but I've seen it the EU. Its not a bourbon, but rather a whisky. Believe it or not, made in Taiwan (the non-commie China) and has an excellent reputation. This is one of their cheaper offerings, about $100. They have some that are very expensive. I've seen it, but never tried it.

Knob Creek Vintage 2001 is a new limited edition offering. Its their oldest offering, distilled in 2001, bottled in 2016, aged 14 years. Its a 100 proof and very limited distribution. About $130. So new and so rare I can't even find anyone on my bourbon collectors groups that have tried this. This is from Batch 1. There were 3 batches released.

Yellowstone Select is the second offering from Yellowstone. The first offering was a 105 proof blend of 2 high rye bourbons + 1 wheat bourbon and carried a 7 year age statement, this is 93 proof Kentucky Straight bourbon so it is probably a much younger offering. I don't (yet) know the blend they used to make this one but if anyone knows please fill me in. This newish Yellowstone has been out for a while, not too hard to find, is also less than half the price of the original, at only $49/bottle. Rumor is this is an enjoyable bourbon to drink, not exceptional but not priced like an exceptional bottle either.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

The only requirement for aging is that a "straight" whisky must be aged a minimum of two (2) years. That is all. If it is unmarked then it is at the minimum of two (2) years but could be any amount of time above that.

Linky to law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.22

See specifically (b)(1)(iii).

Presumably there would be a drive to advertise a well aged whiskey and that would be covered by other laws regarding truth in advertising, but the actual legal requirement for "straight whisky" is merely a minimum time of two (2) years.

Regards,

Doug

It's not under the ageing section, it's under labeling regulations if the whiskey is under 4 years old it must state the age.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.40

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations
    §5.40 Statements of age and percentage.

(a) Statements of age and percentage for whisky. In the case of straight whisky bottled in conformity with the bottled in bond labeling requirements and of domestic or foreign whisky, whether or not mixed or blended, all of which is 4 years old or more, statements of age and percentage are optional. As to all other whiskies there shall be stated the following:

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sadly many of the small craft bourbons do not comply with this law.

Further, they must state the location where it was distilled, but many do not comply with that either.

What's sad is that as convoluted as the CFR is, they would have to hire a team of lawyers to probably even begin to comply with all the regulations and if they followed all of them, probably be driven out of business or stark raving mad in short order.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Should I break with tradition and try a New England made bourbon this weekend?
    Perhaps Nor'Easter?
    Never heard of Nor'Easter so please do and tell us about it.

I'm not one of the "Kentucky" snobs who believes bourbon only comes from Kentucky.

I've got bourbon from NY to California, Wyoming, Colorado, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and several other states, plus Kentucky. Some are good, some excellent, some marginal to bad. So please, tell us about Nor'Easter.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Never heard of Nor'Easter so please do and tell us about it.

I'm not one of the "Kentucky" snobs who believes bourbon only comes from Kentucky.

I've got bourbon from NY to California, Wyoming, Colorado, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and several other states, plus Kentucky. Some are good, some excellent, some marginal to bad. So please, tell us about Nor'Easter.

OK. Now I've asked by INGO and by a man whose cigar collection I lust see one day.....(IIRC).
    I'll grab a bottle tomorrow. I'll get some shots of the shelves and our price out here. Have you tried Hudson? New York Corn Whiskey***,,ot's about $8mil per 375ml. They have a few varieties, including a 4 grain. For the money I'k\d rather get a Maker's Cask Strength (Something I've never tired....for the same price as two Hudson.
    Anyway, I will try a New England one. Likely Nor'Ester, and report back.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK. Now I've asked by INGO and by a man whose cigar collection I lust see one day.....(IIRC).
    I'll grab a bottle tomorrow. I'll get some shots of the shelves and our price out here. Have you tried Hudson? New York Corn Whiskey***,,ot's about $8mil per 375ml. They have a few varieties, including a 4 grain. For the money I'k\d rather get a Maker's Cask Strength (Something I've never tired....for the same price as two Hudson.
    Anyway, I will try a New England one. Likely Nor'Ester, and report back.

You mean the walk in humidor full of cigars?

And yes, I own 2 of the varieties of Hudson. Baby Bourbon and Four Grain. I'd like to try the Maple Cask aged bourbon they offer too. Honestly not thrilled with the Baby Bourbon. Four Grain is a better drink.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    You mean the walk in humidor full of cigars?

And yes, I own 2 of the varieties of Hudson. Baby Bourbon and Four Grain. I'd like to try the Maple Cask aged bourbon they offer too. Honestly not thrilled with the Baby Bourbon. Four Grain is a better drink.

Yes that humidor!

Wait...who has a walk in humidor? Im jealous!

That guy^

Report:
    My stores were out of Nor'Ester. I did see another Boston based bourbon , Boston Harbor. I didn't get it as it was proced like the Hudson. I don't know much about it but it is made by Boston Beer Company.

I did end up picking up a bottle of something I never heard of before since it was on a limited "one per customer sale" along with a few others/ I ended up picking up a bottle of W.L.Weller Special Reserve 90 proof. It was $29.99 on sale.
    Should I get another bottle of that or a bottle of Buffalo Trace at the same sale price? (I guess I could get one of each today...) I am wondering if the "deal" prices out here are less than the regular price in IN?

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I did end up picking up a bottle of something I never heard of before since it was on a limited "one per customer sale" along with a few others/ I ended up picking up a bottle of W.L.Weller Special Reserve 90 proof. It was $29.99 on sale.
    Should I get another bottle of that or a bottle of Buffalo Trace at the same sale price? (I guess I could get one of each today...) I am wondering if the "deal" prices out here are less than the regular price in IN?

On sale?! Wow! Interesting to see the difference in pricing from location to location. Both Weller SR and Buffalo Trace run around $19 here in the D/FW area.

Both are out of Buffalo Trace Distillery. The Weller is a wheated bourbon (Pappy Van Winkle, the holy grail of bourbon, is a 'wheater'). Buffalo Trace, from Buffalo Trace's Mash Bill #1, is going to be a low rye bourbon. Both are fantastic entry level bourbons and I would recommend picking up one of each to compare.

Not sure they're worth $30 but I supposed it's all relative to pricing in your area. Will say that all of the Weller's (Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique, Weller 12) are getting more and more difficult to find. If you happen to run across any of those others... especially the Weller 12... pull the trigger!

Cheers!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    On sale?! Wow! Interesting to see the difference in pricing from location to location. Both Weller SR and Buffalo Trace run around $19 here in the D/FW area.

Both are out of Buffalo Trace Distillery. The Weller is a wheated bourbon (Pappy Van Winkle, the holy grail of bourbon, is a 'wheater'). Buffalo Trace, from Buffalo Trace's Mash Bill #1, is going to be a low rye bourbon. Both are fantastic entry level bourbons and I would recommend picking up one of each to compare.

Not sure they're worth $30 but I supposed it's all relative to pricing in your area. Will say that all of the Weller's (Special Reserve, Old Weller Antique, Weller 12) are getting more and more difficult to find. If you happen to run across any of those others... especially the Weller 12... pull the trigger!

Cheers!

Hmm. The Weller 12 is a one per customer at $39.99.....
    I'll have to price these in NH which is closer to IN on liquor...

EDIT: Got a second Weller 8. Turns out they were 26.99. I remembered it wrong in my other post. Still high.
    This means I'll be sampling some Weller today/tonight

Last edited:

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    EDIT: Got a second Weller 8. Turns out they were 26.99. I remembered it wrong in my other post. Still high.
    This means I'll be sampling some Weller today/tonight

Weller 8?

Does it look like any of these 3??

c5debcd2-70ff-4380-bf9e-187a2f4207cf_zpsgqr9nux4.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I had some W.L. Weller 12 last night. Good stuff.

I'm missing the Old Weller Antique, that one is always hard to find. W.L.Weller Special Reserve is pretty easy to get your hands on in my area.

Never heard of Weller 8. Typo maybe? Autocorrect does some bizarre things too.

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I had some W.L. Weller 12 last night. Good stuff.

I'm missing the Old Weller Antique, that one is always hard to find. W.L.Weller Special Reserve is pretty easy to get your hands on in my area.

Never heard of Weller 8. Typo maybe? Autocorrect does some bizarre things too.

W12 @ $21.99, OWA at $23.99 are pretty difficult to beat for the price. I could put OWA on my pancakes it's so sweet! Don't expect to see any more W12 around here in volume until around July. OWA is around in decent quantity, just have to know where to look. ;) SR can be had just about anywhere.

Long, long ago WSR was aged/stated 8 years, then 7. It's an NAS now but believed to be aged pretty close to 7. Was just surprised to hear it referred to 8.

I've gotten into a little blending over the last year. Trying the 'Poor Man's Pappy' again. Have a 50/50 and a 60 OWA/40 W12 I put in the bottle April 1st. They'll sit until July 4th. The 50/50 blend should settle at ~98.5 proof. The 60/40 ~100. I've tried the 50/50 and 40/60 before but only let it sit 4 weeks. The consensus is to let it sit around 90 days... so we'll see.

fd31b778-9264-4cf9-953c-f2b13e0977d3_zpswtxgol1b.jpg

Top Bottom