Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Weller 8?

Does it look like any of these 3??

c5debcd2-70ff-4380-bf9e-187a2f4207cf_zpsgqr9nux4.jpg

The special reserve is what I have. I got a second bottle. After looking closer I see that its made by Buffallo Trace. Might have to give the Boston Harbor stuff a try next holiday.

I do like the Special Reserve. Very smooth.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Cracked open the KA VA LAN to give it a try.

Interesting. Taiwanese whisky. Who would have thunk it could happen?

It is a very golden color. The aroma is butterscotch and alcohol.

The flavor is somewhat bold, a bit sweet, but ending with some spicy after tones.

It is very different from American Bourbon, it is also unlike any Tennessee Whiskey (which is technically bourbon) or other American style Whiskey that I've ever tried. It is very different from Scotch too. I've got some expensive Japanese Whisky and this is unlike that too.

So I don't really know what this is. Its good, differently than anything else I've had. Not sure that most people want to experiment with a nearly $100 bottle of Taiwanese Whisky, but if you get a chance to try any of the varieties of KA VA LAN then I'd recommend you try them. At just under $100 this is the cheapest KA VA LAN that I've seen. There may be a cheaper variety? I know there are some that are far far more expensive.

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Wasn't sure I was going to like this one the night I cracked it open. Maybe the palate had an off night that night, I don't know. Let it sit for awhile and revisted. Glad I did. Blade and Bow has an interesting story (which someone has already posted here previously). Supposed to be old Stitzel-Weller juice that is solera style aged. It's also thought that the mash bill consists of 4 grains... corn, rye, wheat and barley.

Nose is sweet and fruity. Vanilla, coconut and carmelized banana right out of the glass. Only negative for me is the finish is a little on the thin side. Bottled at 91 proof it's definitely an easy sipper neat. Picked it up for $44. One I could recommend around that price. At least to have one in the cabinet/on the bar at home.

If nothing else, it has an interesting story behind it and has Stitzel-Weller on the bottle. :)

66719a46-7794-4904-adf0-a1d780d2d0e9_zpsxkc7nr2v.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just wanted to share a really great find.

I picked up two (2) bottles tonight and opened one with a friend over cigars.

The bottle I have left unopened is Makers Mark 46. I am certain it will be good but I doubt it will compare with the other.

The bottle we tried was the
    Jefferson's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Very Small Batch. This is an absolutely fantastic bourbon that is about as smooth as anything I have tried. I will certainly be making another purchase of this when this bottle is empty. As it only set me back about $33 it is underpriced in my opinion. I am not complaining, mind you, just shocked that a bourbon so smooth and full of flavor would be so affordable.

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I just wanted to share a really great find.
    The bottle we tried was the
    Jefferson's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Very Small Batch. This is an absolutely fantastic bourbon...
    As it only set me back about $33 it is underpriced in my opinion.
    If you like that one then you'll love Jefferson's RESERVE. Its about $50/$55 per bottle and honestly some of the best sipping bourbon at any price.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you like that one then you'll love Jefferson's RESERVE. Its about $50/$55 per bottle and honestly some of the best sipping bourbon at any price.

I will pick up a bottle soon. If it's better than the very small batch... DAMN! That will be some fine bourbon indeed.

Thanks.

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Picked up a bottle of ELMER T LEE bourbon ($35) and a bottle of ANGELS ENVY RYE whiskey ($85) tonight on my way home from the fencing club.

Also got a sample of INDIANA WHISKEY from South Bend. Its aged 6 months. Lots of burn on the back end. No clue on the price of that one. He didn't have it in stock/for sale. It was an advance sample bottle. Honestly I'm not looking to buy it. Tasted young. And very hot.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Breckenridge Bourbon Whisky Special Release at Costco $35.99. Anyone have a review? 86 proof 750ml
    It has a tag with Bourbon of the Year on it as several awards listed. Grabbed one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My MIL traveled to FL recently and made a stop in KY on the way down. She found this for me and asked if I'd like a bottle which, of course the answer was yes. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites so I'm looking forward to giving this a try. I've decided to save it for special occasions so it may be awhile. 69.7%...I'm expecting it to be a bit warm lol.

5D1E2B83-6E18-454D-82CD-3B0F6DA1F25E_zps9zvfaff7.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Breckenridge Bourbon Whisky Special Release at Costco $35.99. Anyone have a review? 86 proof 750ml
    It has a tag with Bourbon of the Year on it as several awards listed. Grabbed one.
    I've had it. I like it. That price is about average.

My MIL traveled to FL recently and made a stop in KY on the way down. She found this for me and asked if I'd like a bottle which, of course the answer was yes. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites so I'm looking forward to giving this a try. I've decided to save it for special occasions so it may be awhile. 69.7%...I'm expecting it to be a bit warm lol.
    I'm not a EC fan, but of all the EC offerings I've tried, i have to admit the Barrel Proof offering is pretty tasty stuff. You will enjoy it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Would "President Trump" warrant such an occasion?

Would "President Clinton Impeached" warrant such an occasion???

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Normally I drink bourbon.

Sometimes I drink rye ... especially if I make a Manhattan.

Rarely will I drink scotch.

Tried the ANGELS ENVY RYE Aged in Caribbean Rum Casks last evening.

Its a 100 proof rye and its got tons of spice and a boatload of flavors to entertain your palate. Very good stuff IF you like a spicy whiskey. I drank it neat and it was a bit too much for me, added a little water to the glass and it was a much tamer drink in all ways. The spices and flavors all were watered down but it was also much easier to drink.

I enjoyed it both ways but it would probably great on the rocks. Pouring a bit of this rye over a couple ice cubes should make a great drink. Just a little ice melt to tame it.

The downside is the price of the bottle. Roughly $85.00

Last edited:
    Top Bottom